Wahpeton

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Wahpeton

Postby MTfan4life » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Sounds like some pretty high quality class there. The coaches not notifying anyone is the cherry on top.

P.S. Athletic Directors pick referee pools. They don't get to pick certain referees. The coaches don't get to pick referees either. The A.D. simply picks a referee pool.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby CAS10 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm

From my experience playing 3 years in the EDC, I hated going to Whapeton. I'm not saying it was the refs, but there was something "fishy" going on there. I'm not sure if it was just a mystic in that gym or what, but the away team always played worse than they should (not just the team I was on, it was just about everyone). And the away team would usually not get many calls, which is typical of a small town team.
Like I said, I'm not making accusations, just saying that this feeling has been around for a while.
CAS10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby yosports » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 pm

[quote="MTfan4life"]Sounds like some pretty high quality class there. The coaches not notifying anyone is the cherry on top.

P.S. Athletic Directors pick referee pools. They don't get to pick certain referees. The coaches don't get to pick referees either. The A.D. simply picks a referee pool.[/quote

Coaches do not always check the locker room. They go in after the game, do their post game talk, then the kids shower. Do not assume the coaches were aware.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby WHS94 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Wahp beat shanley, in shanley. Is that enough proof that wahp can win on the road?
WHS94
NDPreps Rookie

Postby basketball9 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 am

yosports wrote:
MTfan4life wrote:Sounds like some pretty high quality class there. The coaches not notifying anyone is the cherry on top.

P.S. Athletic Directors pick referee pools. They don't get to pick certain referees. The coaches don't get to pick referees either. The A.D. simply picks a referee pool.[/quote

Coaches do not always check the locker room. They go in after the game, do their post game talk, then the kids shower. Do not assume the coaches were aware.

if a coach doesn't look after his kids, is he doing his job? the coach is the leader of the team and needs to take responsibility for his team. the coach either knew about it and didn't say anything, or he was too ignorant to keep an eye on his own players.
in all of my experiences playing basketball the coach was always the last one to leave the locker room, and that's how it should be in my opinion.
basketball9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bballer21 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm

And bigdog you won't be seeing me at EDC because im not on varsity.
bballer21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MNTwinsFan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:37 am

basketball9 wrote:
yosports wrote:
MTfan4life wrote:Sounds like some pretty high quality class there. The coaches not notifying anyone is the cherry on top.

if a coach doesn't look after his kids, is he doing his job? the coach is the leader of the team and needs to take responsibility for his team. the coach either knew about it and didn't say anything, or he was too ignorant to keep an eye on his own players.
in all of my experiences playing basketball the coach was always the last one to leave the locker room, and that's how it should be in my opinion.

Agreed, someone needs to check the locker room (most likely the coach(es) would assume that roll). Make sure everything is picked up, nothing is left behind, and the locker room is as nice as you found it.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby brown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 pm

It's actually a requirement for coaches to check the locker rooms to make sure everything is picked up before they leave. A coach should always be the last one out of the locker room.
brown
NDPreps Rookie

Postby yosports » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 pm

brown wrote:It's actually a requirement for coaches to check the locker rooms to make sure everything is picked up before they leave. A coach should always be the last one out of the locker room.

My comment was that I thought you should not all ASSUME that the coach was aware of the damage. And from the report the other night on the news, it said that the coach (Gregory) typically does check the locker room but he had not that night. Many of you were making judgments about Gregory not reporting the damage and that is wrong to assume. That was all that I was saying.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby T$$ » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:51 pm

yosports wrote:

You are wrong about this. Coaches and ADs pick who they want to ref. Each school votes on the post season.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison football73 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:06 am

two red river players were suspended correct?
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby MTfan4life » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:02 am

T$$ wrote:
yosports wrote:

You are wrong about this. Coaches and ADs pick who they want to ref. Each school votes on the post season.

A school is able to pick specific referees for games? Either the EDC is different from everywhere else or you're greatly misinformed.

*My dad was an athletic director for 30+ years. He never once had the opportunity to pick a specific referee. He could pick whatever pool he wanted to, but not specific refs.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseballdad » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:51 pm

I think a 1 game suspention and a 1/2 game suspension is a complete joke. I can almost guarrentee you that if these individuals and maybe the entire GFRR team were not allowed to play in the EDC and state tournament that things like this would not happen in the future. There should be criminal charges filed against people that do diliberate damage to others people property. We place way too much emphasis on winning rather than teaching these young men life lessons, respect and team work.

If these were accidents why wouldn't you tell someone that it happened this goes for both the players and the people resposible for the players? If this is what high school sports are coming to winning is all that matters that you are above everyone else including the law then we need to reevaluate why we have them.
baseballdad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby yosports » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm

baseballdad wrote:I think a 1 game suspention and a 1/2 game suspension is a complete joke. I can almost guarrentee you that if these individuals and maybe the entire GFRR team were not allowed to play in the EDC and state tournament that things like this would not happen in the future. There should be criminal charges filed against people that do diliberate damage to others people property. We place way too much emphasis on winning rather than teaching these young men life lessons, respect and team work.

If these were accidents why wouldn't you tell someone that it happened this goes for both the players and the people resposible for the players? If this is what high school sports are coming to winning is all that matters that you are above everyone else including the law then we need to reevaluate why we have them.

So what you are saying is that the whole team be punished for the acts of 2 players?? Really? So if 2 players drink alcohol or break another law the whole team should be held responsible? Where do you stop with thinking like this?

Why do you think that these players were not taught a life lesson? Are you sure you know the whole story behind this? The principals at RR handled this situation in the best way they could in THEIR PROFESSIONAL JUDGEMENT and they got the facts from the parties involved.

We all know that teenagers are not perfect and they do stupid things on the spur of the moment. Let the RR kids take their punishment, pay back their debts and move on with their lives. They are not "criminals". But they are being punished in many ways. They will remember this for the rest of their lives. Let it go and do not look at the whole team as criminals either. I know there are some GREAT kids on that team that deserve a whole lot more respect than what you are giving them.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby yosports » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 pm

T$$ wrote:
yosports wrote:

Some of you are referring to post season and some of you to the regular season. In Grand Forks, the Valley Officials Association lines up the refs for regular season games. Sometimes a ref can be "blackballed" by coaches but coaches do not pick refs. At tournament time the coaches can select who they would like to ref the games but is is not decided by the coaches. In Class A and Class B schools around the state it varies how it is done but overall, the coaches do not pick the refs.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseballdad » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:08 pm

If you noticed I said maybethe whole team because if everyone knew that they could loose the chance of even trying to win a state championship after all the hard work that went in to get where they are at just because of the stupid act of one or two of your teammates the other good resposible members of the team would not let it happen or if it did happen they would most definately not want to be associated with them and would go and get the proper resposible authorities to deal with the situation.

All this is teaching these young men and others is that you can destroy other peoples property that other people will come to my rescue if you are close to post season play with a good chance of winning a state championship. WE AS PARENTS COACHES AND ADMINISTRATION ARE PUTTING WAY TO MUCH EMPHASIS ON WINNING AND NOT TAKING RESPONSIBLE FOR ONES ACTIONS. I really wonder if the actions and outcome would be the same if this was either the first game of the season or if the team was not in a good position to possible win a state championship. I bet if would be quite a different outcome.
baseballdad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MTfan4life » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:52 am

yosports wrote:Some of you are referring to post season and some of you to the regular season. In Grand Forks, the Valley Officials Association lines up the refs for regular season games. Sometimes a ref can be "blackballed" by coaches but coaches do not pick refs. At tournament time the coaches can select who they would like to ref the games but is is not decided by the coaches. In Class A and Class B schools around the state it varies how it is done but overall, the coaches do not pick the refs.

Thank you. Where I was from, each team in the district/region voted on the referees they wanted in the tournament and the refs with the most votes got in the tournament. They however don't get to select which games are reffed by whom, but that's the only time the coaches get anywhere close to picking individual referees. Saying that coaches pick individual refs would be just as smart as saying that schools will pay refs more when their team wins. It's all being stuck in the same delusion.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby fastbreak » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:40 pm

I agree with baseballdad. This is no penalty at all. To yosports, they are criminals. Maybe not convicted, but vandalism is a crime. Paying damages should be in addition to the penalty, not instead of. NDHSAA used to have minimum penalties. RR obviously isn't having to follow them. I've lost respect for the coaches and administration at Red River.
fastbreak
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:44 pm

fastbreak wrote:I agree with baseballdad. This is no penalty at all. To yosports, they are criminals. Maybe not convicted, but vandalism is a crime. Paying damages should be in addition to the penalty, not instead of. NDHSAA used to have minimum penalties. RR obviously isn't having to follow them. I've lost respect for the coaches and administration at Red River.

The two that are being suspended for the damages do have to pay for the damages...that was in the news article in the Grand Forks Herald. I do agree though..the game penalty seems pretty lenient
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby yosports » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 pm

fastbreak wrote:I agree with baseballdad. This is no penalty at all. To yosports, they are criminals. Maybe not convicted, but vandalism is a crime. Paying damages should be in addition to the penalty, not instead of. NDHSAA used to have minimum penalties. RR obviously isn't having to follow them. I've lost respect for the coaches and administration at Red River.

Fastbreak, they ARE paying for the damage and also serving the game or 1/2 game suspension. The boys also wrote some letters of apology to the school, AD, etc. I have never heard of a 1/2 game suspension and think that is kind of weird but that is what they are doing. The one player admitted to it right away is what I had heard. . . that is just what I heard from a very reliable source.--and so he got a 1/2 game suspension rather than a full game suspension.

Remember that these are just teenage boys --not adults-- and so when under 18 I don't think they need to be labeled criminals and sent to jail when there is a teachable moment. I expect the same things from my kids and my students. . . fix your mistake if possible (and they are fixing it. . .), make apologies, and move on. Everyone makes mistakes --especially in the heat of the moment in an emotional setting. That does not mean that winning is everything like BASEBALL DAD posted earlier in this conversation.

And the punishment does not have to do with their record or any of that. They would have been punished the same with a winning season or a losing season. It seems to me people from other cities are JEALOUS Of their success and are just looking for reasons to kick them out of the EDC tournament. And by the way. . . RRHS does go by the NDHSAA rules. They have to follow those rules or the whole team
WOULD be disqualified. And usually, in my experience, I have noticed that they enforce them in the strictest way possible.

Maybe don't judge until you have all the facts.

Don't speed on the way home tonight. That is breaking the law.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby WHS94 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:21 pm

yosports wrote:Fastbreak, they ARE paying for the damage and also serving the game or 1/2 game suspension. The boys also wrote some letters of apology to the school, AD, etc. I have never heard of a 1/2 game suspension and think that is kind of weird but that is what they are doing. The one player admitted to it right away is what I had heard. . . that is just what I heard from a very reliable source.--and so he got a 1/2 game suspension rather than a full game suspension.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I heard, the kid that got a half game suspension "accidentally" broke a light while swinging his backpack on. I realize that hes probably a tall guy, but REALLY? Accidentally?? That kind of stuff does not happen on accident.

I also find it hard to believe that he "admitted to it right away." If he truly did confess right away (which would mean while the team was still in Wahp) then that would mean that the coach really did know about the whole situation, which doesn't seem to be the case. What's much easier to believe is that he confessed when they got back home after the whole situation started to blow up in their faces.

yosports wrote:Remember that these are just teenage boys --not adults-- and so when under 18 I don't think they need to be labeled criminals and sent to jail when there is a teachable moment. I expect the same things from my kids and my students. . . fix your mistake if possible (and they are fixing it. . .), make apologies, and move on. Everyone makes mistakes --especially in the heat of the moment in an emotional setting.

They are high school juniors and seniors, not some little Innocent children. I can only speak for myself here, but by that age they should be able to make mature decisions. I realize that everyone makes mistakes, we're all human, its expected. But when people do screw up, its also expected that they pay the consequences and personally (and i know this isn't just my opinion, many people agree) i think the current punishment is a joke. No one is saying that they should go to jail, so i dont know where you came up with that one, but it should be more than what it currently is.

I agree with you that this is a teachable moment, but this current punishment is a slap on the wrist. The one game that this is actually going to effect is against North (the lowest seed going into EDC, without their best player, Syverson). If you really want to teach them a lesson, then give them an actual punishment.

yosports wrote:And the punishment does not have to do with their record or any of that. They would have been punished the same with a winning season or a losing season. It seems to me people from other cities are JEALOUS Of their success and are just looking for reasons to kick them out of the EDC tournament. And by the way. . . RRHS does go by the NDHSAA rules. They have to follow those rules or the whole team
WOULD be disqualified. And usually, in my experience, I have noticed that they enforce them in the strictest way possible.

Debatable. You cannot say either way what would happen if they had a different record. Nobody can. Just given the circumstances, that is what people are going to think. You cant really do anything about it. As for myself, i am not jealous and even if other people are i dont think thats the reason why they want a steeper punishment. They want more because they realize what little is being done and they dont think that is right.

yosports wrote:Don't speed on the way home tonight. That is breaking the law.

No need to try and get smart about this. We know speeding is against the law, just like vandalism is. The difference is, the speeder would get an appropriate ticket. The people involved in the vandalism situation are getting a slap on the wrist.
WHS94
NDPreps Rookie

Postby yosports » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:12 pm

WHS94 wrote:
yosports wrote:Fastbreak, they ARE paying for the damage and also serving the game or 1/2 game suspension. The boys also wrote some letters of apology to the school, AD, etc. I have never heard of a 1/2 game suspension and think that is kind of weird but that is what they are doing. The one player admitted to it right away is what I had heard. . . that is just what I heard from a very reliable source.--and so he got a 1/2 game suspension rather than a full game suspension.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I heard, the kid that got a half game suspension "accidentally" broke a light while swinging his backpack on. I realize that hes probably a tall guy, but REALLY? Accidentally?? That kind of stuff does not happen on accident.

I also find it hard to believe that he "admitted to it right away." If he truly did confess right away (which would mean while the team was still in Wahp) then that would mean that the coach really did know about the whole situation, which doesn't seem to be the case. What's much easier to believe is that he confessed when they got back home after the whole situation started to blow up in their faces.

yosports wrote:Remember that these are just teenage boys --not adults-- and so when under 18 I don't think they need to be labeled criminals and sent to jail when there is a teachable moment. I expect the same things from my kids and my students. . . fix your mistake if possible (and they are fixing it. . .), make apologies, and move on. Everyone makes mistakes --especially in the heat of the moment in an emotional setting.

They are high school juniors and seniors, not some little Innocent children. I can only speak for myself here, but by that age they should be able to make mature decisions. I realize that everyone makes mistakes, we're all human, its expected. But when people do screw up, its also expected that they pay the consequences and personally (and i know this isn't just my opinion, many people agree) i think the current punishment is a joke. No one is saying that they should go to jail, so i dont know where you came up with that one, but it should be more than what it currently is.

I agree with you that this is a teachable moment, but this current punishment is a slap on the wrist. The one game that this is actually going to effect is against North (the lowest seed going into EDC, without their best player, Syverson). If you really want to teach them a lesson, then give them an actual punishment.

yosports wrote:And the punishment does not have to do with their record or any of that. They would have been punished the same with a winning season or a losing season. It seems to me people from other cities are JEALOUS Of their success and are just looking for reasons to kick them out of the EDC tournament. And by the way. . . RRHS does go by the NDHSAA rules. They have to follow those rules or the whole team

Debatable. You cannot say either way what would happen if they had a different record. Nobody can. Just given the circumstances, that is what people are going to think. You cant really do anything about it. As for myself, i am not jealous and even if other people are i dont think thats the reason why they want a steeper punishment. They want more because they realize what little is being done and they dont think that is right.

No need to try and get smart about this. We know speeding is against the law, just like vandalism is. The difference is, the speeder would get an appropriate ticket. The people involved in the vandalism situation are getting a slap on the wrist.

I was told that the player admitted to it right away . . . when the players were asked about it. So I think it was the day after. That is when the coach found out about it from the way it sounds. And yes, I heard that it was an accident by a tall player and I have a hard time believing that too but another player told my daughter that and was very serious about it. So maybe the principal believed him. I was not in on all those conversations (and neither were you) so I guess I am trusting that the principal did the right thing after talking to the players, the coaches, etc. I am not second guessing them anymore. The principal knows this kid and is probably going by his "prior offenses" which is maybe NO OFFENSES. And if you think about it-- that is how the real world works whether you want to admit it or not. If you have been picked up once for speeding you might get a warning. But after 3 or 4 times you WILL get a ticket! I have had a warning, haven't you? And I have had tickets.

The punishment fits the crime. If you think about it, the worst punishment is sitting out even one minute. I have been a player and I know that that is one of the hardest things to do. . . to sit out and not be able to play when you want to be out there SO bad. If RR was the # 8 seed playing the # 1 seed it would STILL be hard for those players to sit out. Think about it. And think about the embarassment they will have to endure when they are sitting out. Two starters on the bench. That is even more punishment.

And if you really think that 16 and 17 year old boys (they are juniors in HS) are "mature enough" to know better, you really do not know adolescents and much about their brain development. Again, when there are emotions involved teenagers brains do not think straight--even adults do not think straight.

I just feel really bad for the TEAM because they are awesome and now this black cloud is hanging over their heads. Everyone in GF was really hoping this was their year. It has been a LONG time for RR boys to even get close to winning a championship in BB. I still hope they can do it. From the way it looks they still are the best in the State. They are still ranked # 1. GO RIDERS!
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison football73 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm

yosports wrote:
WHS94 wrote:

I was told that the player admitted to it right away . . . when the players were asked about it. So I think it was the day after. That is when the coach found out about it from the way it sounds. And yes, I heard that it was an accident by a tall player and I have a hard time believing that too but another player told my daughter that and was very serious about it. So maybe the principal believed him. I was not in on all those conversations (and neither were you) so I guess I am trusting that the principal did the right thing after talking to the players, the coaches, etc. I am not second guessing them anymore. The principal knows this kid and is probably going by his "prior offenses" which is maybe NO OFFENSES. And if you think about it-- that is how the real world works whether you want to admit it or not. If you have been picked up once for speeding you might get a warning. But after 3 or 4 times you WILL get a ticket! I have had a warning, haven't you? And I have had tickets.

The punishment fits the crime. If you think about it, the worst punishment is sitting out even one minute. I have been a player and I know that that is one of the hardest things to do. . . to sit out and not be able to play when you want to be out there SO bad. If RR was the # 8 seed playing the # 1 seed it would STILL be hard for those players to sit out. Think about it. And think about the embarassment they will have to endure when they are sitting out. Two starters on the bench. That is even more punishment.

And if you really think that 16 and 17 year old boys (they are juniors in HS) are "mature enough" to know better, you really do not know adolescents and much about their brain development. Again, when there are emotions involved teenagers brains do not think straight--even adults do not think straight.

I just feel really bad for the TEAM because they are awesome and now this black cloud is hanging over their heads. Everyone in GF was really hoping this was their year. It has been a LONG time for RR boys to even get close to winning a championship in BB. I still hope they can do it. From the way it looks they still are the best in the State. They are still ranked # 1. GO RIDERS!

the 1/2 game may have been enough for an accident. maybe even a 1 game, because he didnt tell the coach. now for the one that got the full game, he i am guessing was the one that broke the hand railing and probably should get kicked off the team, because that is a lot more serious that a speeding ticket, so no he shouldnt get a warning. he broke the law and should not be on the team anymore. my sports teams, if you break the law, like a serious law and not speeding, you are off of the team. PERIOD.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseballdad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 pm

I think there has been a dangerous precident set here anybody can go and trash a locker room as long as they are willing to pay for damages and sit 1 game. These young men need to learn to control themselves it was not like it was in the heat of the battle this was at least 5-10 minutes after the end of the game.

The game is over team shakes hands you go pick up your stuff at and around your bench and head to the locker room for the coach to give you his thoughts on the game then he leaves while the team showers this is when the damage must have been done if the coach did not know about it.

If the coach approves of and agrees with the punishment he will play these players as soon as they are eligible to play. If not he will not let them play at all and maybe teach them a lesson.

My guess is they will play as soon as they are eligible to play and they are needed to win the game. As I have said before parents, coaches and Administrations are putting way to much emphasis on winning.
baseballdad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby T$$ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 am

MTfan4life wrote:
T$$ wrote:
yosports wrote:

A school is able to pick specific referees for games? Either the EDC is different from everywhere else or you're greatly misinformed.

*My dad was an athletic director for 30+ years. He never once had the opportunity to pick a specific referee. He could pick whatever pool he wanted to, but not specific refs.
. Let me explain my statement. coaches and Ad's don't pick refs but at the same time they do. It is political. If a coach doesn't want a certain ref they won't be there, guaranteed. same thing goes for the "pools". Each pool has an assigner and if a coach doesn't want someone the assigner is told that info. In class B, the coach is sometimes also the AD and they do schedule the refs. They sign the contract right next to the refs name.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys