Mr. Basketball Poll

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who's Gonna Win Mr. Basketball?

Tate Kick - Dickinson
15%
Justin Belohavek - Mandan
38%
Brian Qvale - Williston
17%
Jordan Wilhelm - Bismarck High
6%
Jon Kramer - Wahpeton
3%
Mark Bakkum - Steele-Dawson
3%
Nathaniel Packineau - Parshall
1%
Shaun Knife - Belcourt
2%
Luke Lorenz - May-Port CG
11%
Tony Ironheart - Four Winds
4%

Total votes : 125

Postby #50mandan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 am

if you have to have good grades to win mr basketball that is really sad, but i dont believe that is true because travis mertens won the award last year and i heard he didnt have the best of grades
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby coyote#12 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 am

cityleaguer wrote:
coyote#12 wrote:You need to have solid grades to win Mr.Basketball.

I heard that Qvale is very smart, and I'm pretty sure Kick averages A's and B's....How about Belohlavek?

Not A's and B's, we'll just say that..........
coyote#12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Leech » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 am

Grades should (and probably are) only relevant to the player and his/her parents, not the voters. I don't know if they can legally access them anyway.
Leech
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 666 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:53 am

coyote#12 wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:
coyote#12 wrote:You need to have solid grades to win Mr.Basketball.

I heard that Qvale is very smart, and I'm pretty sure Kick averages A's and B's....How about Belohlavek?

Not A's and B's, we'll just say that..........
I dont think grades matter.
Last edited by 666 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 666 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:55 am

#50mandan wrote:if you have to have good grades to win mr basketball that is really sad, but i dont believe that is true because travis mertens won the award last year and i heard he didnt have the best of grades

he had good enough grades to go to UND even tho he took the full ride to LRSC

Postby chachi_j2007 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 am

Justin Behlolavek is the man.  Nobody can stop this kid and you guys talk about how everybody else has had good careers well so has he. I can't wait for him to come to Minot on friday and see him dominate in Minot.  I like to watch him play because hes got some spectacular stuff.
chachi_j2007
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mr. Me Too » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:44 pm

chachi_j2007 wrote:Justin Behlolavek is the man.  Nobody can stop this kid and you guys talk about how everybody else has had good careers well so has he. I can't wait for him to come to Minot on friday and see him dominate in Minot.  I like to watch him play because hes got some spectacular stuff.

Nobody in the state can stop this kid. . .he should have Mr. BBall wrapped up. . .but all i can say is there is still about a half a month of ball left
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bcourtbraves » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:06 pm

I think he proved for sure that he was a legit Mr. Basketball against Belcourt. Realizing that his shooting stroke was off he started getting his teammates involved and helped win the game with his nine assists.
Believe Big
bcourtbraves
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:12 pm

#50mandan wrote:if you have to have good grades to win mr basketball that is really sad, but i dont believe that is true because travis mertens won the award last year and i heard he didnt have the best of grades

I know in mr. hockey to even be considered to be a canidate you have to have a certain GPA, which isn't very high. Though i think it is a good thing because Mr. basketball award or any award in class A, should not just be considered on what you do on the court, but what you also do off the court. If you struggling to keep off the ineligable list then you don't deserve it.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:11 am

Ditka14 wrote:

I know in mr. hockey to even be considered to be a canidate you have to have a certain GPA, which isn't very high. Though i think it is a good thing because Mr. basketball award or any award in class A, should not just be considered on what you do on the court, but what you also do off the court. If you struggling to keep off the ineligable list then you don't deserve it.
i think if you stay eligible your grades shouldnt matter then

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:07 am

cdub1 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:

Though if your the best player in the state, and have a 1.2 GPA, those wont get you into a NCAA division I or II college. I heard from someone Mertens got like a 12 on his ACT is that true? Maybe that's why he ended up going to a Junior college, and not to UND, or somthing in that catagory.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby O_Snap » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:32 am

I am willing to bet that if you are a good enough basketball player coaches can get you into a college if they want you to.. Its not right but they can and have im sure.  You think someone like Clarett got good grades honestly?  Maybe he did I dont know but.......
O_Snap

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:39 am

O_Snap wrote:I am willing to bet that if you are a good enough basketball player coaches can get you into a college if they want you to.. Its not right but they can and have im sure.  You think someone like Clarett got good grades honestly?  Maybe he did I dont know but.......

i know that alot of big school have a kid go play a year of JC to get his grades up so he can get into the school
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:20 am

O_Snap wrote:I am willing to bet that if you are a good enough basketball player coaches can get you into a college if they want you to.. Its not right but they can and have im sure.  You think someone like Clarett got good grades honestly?  Maybe he did I dont know but.......

back in the day they used to im sure, but know the ncaa cracks down harder, i heard you get recruiting suspentions. No big DI or DII is going to resict the chance of getting a suspention which could ruin there program.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:

Though if your the best player in the state, and have a 1.2 GPA, those wont get you into a NCAA division I or II college. I heard from someone Mertens got like a 12 on his ACT is that true? Maybe that's why he ended up going to a Junior college, and not to UND, or somthing in that catagory.

i heard that too
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 pm

Ming01 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:

i heard that too

guys lets give him some credit, it was a 13.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby skoal_24 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:59 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:

i heard that too

correct me if i'm wrong don't you get 10 for getting your name right
skoal_24

Postby cityleaguer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:08 pm

skoal_24 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:

i heard that too

correct me if i'm wrong don't you get 10 for getting your name right

I don't know if u guys are joking about his score or not...if not, that's terrible to score that low...and no you don't get points on the ACT for your name, I believe that's the SAT...plus, if I'm not mistaken you need a minimum of 18 to partake in athletics in college, maybe not a JUCO though
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:24 pm

yeah it wasn't made up, he really did get a 13.. why do you think he didn't go to Mayville State or UND?
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ditka14 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:26 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:yeah it wasn't made up, he really did get a 13.. why do you think he didn't go to Mayville State or UND?

The thing is i think after he is done with his 2 years at devils lake i think you can transfer, with the grades you got the first 2 years, and the act having no effect? Am i right on that or if it somthing i just heard?

And that is a reason why i think grades should be a factor in Mr.Basketball.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby skoal_24 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 am

Ditka14 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:yeah it wasn't made up, he really did get a 13.. why do you think he didn't go to Mayville State or UND?

The thing is i think after he is done with his 2 years at devils lake i think you can transfer, with the grades you got the first 2 years, and the act having no effect? Am i right on that or if it somthing i just heard?

And that is a reason why i think grades should be a factor in Mr.Basketball.

That is correct he can transfer with no prior record holding him back    but also i do agree grades should be a factor for being a candidate
Last edited by skoal_24 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
skoal_24

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:40 am

I agree too, I dont think very often the mr. basketball candidate has had that poor of grades but it should come into play.  It shouldn't have a major effect on someone winning but if grades are that bad I dont know, maybe he should focus on something other then basketball.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:54 am

I know that Mr. Basketball looks at community involvement and involvement in other areas of life besides basketball.  I don't really understand why we are discussing anyone's ACT score as that is none of our business.  A low ACT score doesn't necessary equal bad grades.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby threeball » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:57 am

WildWarrior wrote:I know that Mr. Basketball looks at community involvement and involvement in other areas of life besides basketball.  I don't really understand why we are discussing anyone's ACT score as that is none of our business.  A low ACT score doesn't necessary equal bad grades.

im not necesarilly saying you're wrong but why would involvement in the community have anything do to with winning mr. basketball
threeball
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby threeball » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:03 am

SCC wrote:
threeball wrote:
WildWarrior wrote:I know that Mr. Basketball looks at community involvement and involvement in other areas of life besides basketball.  I don't really understand why we are discussing anyone's ACT score as that is none of our business.  A low ACT score doesn't necessary equal bad grades.

im not necesarilly saying you're wrong but why would involvement in the community have anything do to with winning mr. basketball

I always thought the award had to do with basketball...that's it...

in my opinion basketball is all it should be
threeball
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys