Bismarck Dominance

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Bismarck Dominance

Postby InsideMan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:59 am

agree 100%. Has anybody talked to Hausler to see what his stance is?
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 am

Bismarck is definitely growing to the North, and it is great that people are choosing to stay in the area, and are building and buying new homes. It's tough to tell long time residents that they have to go to CHS if they grew up as a Demon or vice versa. But the school district should start to question families who sends 1 kid to one school, and the other kid goes to the other school.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby oldcoach2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:45 pm

It shouldnt matter that the growth is in the northern part of town. the areas assigned to the high school are mapped out and people can see were they need to build/buy in order to attend they school of choice. IE if you intend to have your kids attend BHS then build/buy in the area assigned. if you want you kids to attend CHS then build buy in that area, its that simple. If its that important to you than you should be willing to follow those guide lines, right?

BHS sports dominance is the topic here and this (tranfers) is the main reasons BHS is so successfull year in and year out. Again its too bad something is not done to address this. Fargo broke up South and is holding true to the borders of North, South, and Davies. While the BPS district has a format for tranfers it really isnt nessary as the school board is responsible for setting standards/policies. I dont think Mr Huasslar (AD) can really do anything about it with out the school board removing the oppertunity for tranfers all together. Dont believe that will happen with the current board members :)
oldcoach2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InsideMan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:37 pm

To take it a step further - schools like Fargo north & south is broken up for a reason and they have restrictions as to who can go to what school so for them to have to compete with a school from a big town that doesn't have to abide by those rules is unfair especailly because they are all public schools. The powers that may be might want to take a look at all the kids that are coming to bismarck high from out of town. It is going to be really hard to prove even though it is a really shady situation. I hate to keep coming back to this point but I do believe that it is very valid. My guess is it is going to take the coaches gaging up on the school or for a kid that he recruited to turn against him.

There is something to be said about wanting to play for a good program and I can't blame the kids for wanting to do so. A line does have to be drawn somewhere especailly among the public schools.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:50 pm

That is where I have a problem. Many more programs would have a chance to be good if BHS didn't get these players. If Finley is not at BHS, they do not win state. Maybe Mandan does. Then next year, Dickinson (Joe) or whoever does. If Bismarck keeps getting new kids every year, it will keep other good teams from having success, because they will lose to BHS an not make state to have a chance to compete for a title.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Couldn't agree more.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:20 pm

balla45 wrote:That is where I have a problem. Many more programs would have a chance to be good if BHS didn't get these players. If Finley is not at BHS, they do not win state. Maybe Mandan does. Then next year, Dickinson (Joe) or whoever does. If Bismarck keeps getting new kids every year, it will keep other good teams from having success, because they will lose to BHS an not make state to have a chance to compete for a title.

I agree with you. But all that is going to be said is that if there are great players that come to Bismarck to play for BHS, then why not play them. Mandan girls program was accused of the same thing for years, but Amundson wasn't going to not play great players who came there to play basketball.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby oldcoach2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Kids coming into town to play for a school cannt really be controlled, the only control is the waiting period and I dont know that time frame for kids to transfer from one varsity program to another.

The problem lies within the Public school system with internal tranfers BHS to CHS or vise versa. BHS has a stronger tradtion in many sports and that draws kids from the north side of town. I think it will change a bit in time for basketball with the new head coach for boys basketball @ CHS he will build up the CHS program. This will/should cause some balance.

Still if you feel it is really important to attend a given school then move or build your home in THAT schools assigned area plain and simple

Transfers into should have live in the assigned school area to be able to attend school there, my guess is they dont more times than not

BHS will continue to be a power house until someone gets serious with the district and forces the issue
oldcoach2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby squeak63 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:04 am

IMO a lot of this is going to change over the years with mattern as the coach for century...it already has happened... look at jared thunshell...loves farther south then 90 % of the people who attend BHS played basketball for wachter ( All wachter kids go to BHS) and BHS last year as a freshmen, not mattern moves to century and he is playing on century, i know he is home schooled but still he lives in the BHS district so he should be playing for BHS so really in bismarck it goes both ways ( Transfers from different towns are a different story)... also for whoever said that if people want their kids to go to one of the schools they should build/ buy in that district, in bismarck that is not as easy at it sounds... the expansion of bismarck to the south is all south of burleigh avenue, there is no other place to go north of that, there are a lot of issues about living south of burliegh avenue the make people shy away from living there the main one being the fact that is it in the flood plain and they are not allowed to have basements in their houses and the flood in 09 has scared a lot of people from living that close to the river in southern bismarck, that is all not an issue at all in north bismarck because it is all on top of a hill.
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby pimpdaddyG » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 am

how does floods affect high school baketball? additional info for ya...jaxon fitterer lives right next to horizon. why did he go to bhs. why are you whining about thunshelled coming to century but you don't say a word about fitterer?
pimpdaddyG
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InsideMan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:02 am

It was an example. People aren't whining. I suppose we could go down the list and name all of the kids (Finley's sister went to mandan and you don't think they would have won the title with him?) but that isn't the point here. This isn't about calling out the kids because as long as there are no rules in place or they aren't being enforced who can blame them? The best college football recruiters/coaches operate in the grey - everybody knows it is sketchy as heck but as much as I hate it they do win. It is about discussing the underlying problem which is the inconsistency of the enforcement of the rules or in certain cases the lack of consistent rules. School that get public funding should have to adhear to the same rules. I am obviously not an expert on this but we don't want this to turn into a college atmosphere where coaches are recruiting players all over the place. It isn't good for high school basketball especially when some schools (fargo) have certain rules imposed on them and some don't (bismarck).
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 am

The stopping of open enrollment is new to fargo though. North would not have been nearly as good without the South siders of Jordan May, Nik Savegeau, Akers, wehri, petia....Its not like it doesnt happen in fargo. The about is that South has been too full to accept open enrollment so South siders can go to north but North siders cant go south.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InsideMan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 am

Fair enough. That makes sense. I wonder what the rules are going to be when Davies is opened.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:42 am

InsideMan wrote:Fair enough. That makes sense. I wonder what the rules are going to be when Davies is opened.

From what I have been hearing, You will still be able to open enroll to North but there won't be any open enrollment between South and Davies.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InsideMan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am

that should be the case at bhs too because of how full it is getting.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvsports » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:16 am

pimpdaddyG wrote:how does floods affect high school baketball? additional info for ya...jaxon fitterer lives right next to horizon. why did he go to bhs. why are you whining about thunshelled coming to century but you don't say a word about fitterer?

Garret Jacobs and Bruce Govig transferred out of the BHS district to play at Century. As did Brett Kelly (runner) - those 3 athletes would have definitely added to the football, basketball, track and xc dominance at BHS.
luvsports
NDPreps Starter

Postby KiNg LeBrOn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:46 am

luvsports wrote:
pimpdaddyG wrote:how does floods affect high school baketball? additional info for ya...jaxon fitterer lives right next to horizon. why did he go to bhs. why are you whining about thunshelled coming to century but you don't say a word about fitterer?

Garret Jacobs and Bruce Govig transferred out of the BHS district to play at Century. As did Brett Kelly (runner) - those 3 athletes would have definitely added to the football, basketball, track and xc dominance at BHS.

Bruce Govig does not live in the BHS district.
Swag is vicious
KiNg LeBrOn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby luvsports » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 am

KiNg LeBrOn wrote:
luvsports wrote:

Bruce Govig does not live in the BHS district.

He did in Middle School - he filled out transfer papers.
luvsports
NDPreps Starter

Postby InsideMan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:19 pm

People - that isn't the point - this isn't meant to call kids out because untill there are some rules they have done nothing wrong.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby oldcoach2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Squeaks63 said

" also for whoever said that if people want their kids to go to one of the schools they should build/ buy in that district, in bismarck that is not as easy at it sounds... the expansion of bismarck to the south is all south of burleigh avenue, there is no other place to go north of that, there are a lot of issues about living south of burliegh avenue the make people shy away from living there the main one being the fact that is it in the flood plain and they are not allowed to have basements in their houses and the flood in 09 has scared a lot of people from living that close to the river in southern bismarck, that is all not an issue at all in north bismarck because it is all on top of a hill."

First off Sqeaks the disrtict divding line is Divide Avenue not Burleigh Ave. There are plenty of areas for devlopment for those wishing to attend BHS the Issue is the The people that live up north want the best of both worlds, the new fancy house in an area of town that will make them the most money when they sell and for they kids to attend BHS for activities

Second it seems BHS is getting full(according to some on this board) why would they want to let more kids in ? my guess is its about winning and not going with what you have in the first place

Now if Jacobs and Govig were to attend BHS and attend CHS that is wrong Both have sisters that play as well and it looks like Jacobs and his sister should have attended BHS while Govig should have attended CHS.

But now we have 2 Freshman girls on the BHS basketball Varsity that should have attended CHS.

Again the kids and the parents see the writing on the wall and have the option to see were they will get to play In the end CHS gets shafted because they cannt build a tradition against the "old man" BHS

This isnt about individuals that are moving around its about the lack of rules to create balance and the adhering to the rules for the special few.
oldcoach2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby squeak63 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:07 pm

my statement never said that burleigh ave was the dividing line of districts in bismarck i said that most of bismarcks expansion is south of burleigh ave which lies in the flood plain which deter people from moving into those area's... and thats what flooding has to do with more people moving to centuries district than BHS's... also the comment about thunshell was just to point out the simple fact that some people who live in the bismarck high district go to century... not to whine about anything... just saying it goes both ways.
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:36 am

Your points are valid. In fact, for years, people would not build in North Fargo because of similar issues such as flooding and the airport. They never really discouraged transferring between schools until the Osgood Development in South Fargo brought in so many families, and South got so overcrowded. School boards will NEVER discourage or encourage building in their town anywhere. That is bad business.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InsideMan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:44 am

I don't think the school boards will influence where people build but the housing market will. The north side of town is growing faster than the south side which is actually good because more kids go to bhs than century - hopefully this will help to even things out. It is shady but untill rules are in place we really can't say anything because tecnically they aren't doing anything wrong. We don't need this college atmosphere. My solution to this current problem? Send the best kids to St. Marys :)
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:06 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Your points are valid. In fact, for years, people would not build in North Fargo because of similar issues such as flooding and the airport. They never really discouraged transferring between schools until the Osgood Development in South Fargo brought in so many families, and South got so overcrowded. School boards will NEVER discourage or encourage building in their town anywhere. That is bad business.

Ummmmm the Osgood Development goes to West Fargo so your point is invalid.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:46 am

Baller wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:Your points are valid. In fact, for years, people would not build in North Fargo because of similar issues such as flooding and the airport. They never really discouraged transferring between schools until the Osgood Development in South Fargo brought in so many families, and South got so overcrowded. School boards will NEVER discourage or encourage building in their town anywhere. That is bad business.

Ummmmm the Osgood Development goes to West Fargo so your point is invalid.

I know the 1st Additions and Charleswood are in West Fargo, but I was informed that some of the later Additions were in Fargo. I do know that it is a big development project and have brought in many families who have their kids in the Fargo school district.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys