Kick or Wilhelm

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who's better?

Tate Kick
67%
Jordan Wilhelm
33%

Total votes : 58

Postby baller01 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:41 pm

threeball wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:I take Wilhelm.  Out of the best players in the state, Wilhelm I believe, has the best moves.  If you have to pick one player to take the last shot, I'll take Wilhelm anyday because of his one on one moves and his ability to get to the hole.

I just wish he would have made it last night. The guy deserved it...

Why would he deserve it? they all deserved......wilhelm had a chance to tie it up.....he missed it...plain and simple...he missed! so i would have to say i wouldn't take him to take the last shot while Kick has had his hands in like 3 or 4 last second wins.

Lets make this perfectly clear, the only reason Dickinson won was because Fridley played extremely well. Who else besides Wilhelm played good? That's what I thougt. Wilhelm tried everything in his power to get his team the win, thats what I mean when I say he deserved it. I'm not saying Kick or DHS didn't deserve it, its just I thought Wilhelm was doing everything in his power to get him that win.

Hahaha yeah ok.....im pretty sure wilhelm didn't score all the points he only had 22, so sumbody played good to score 30 more or whatever it was. what kid isn't gonna try to do everything in his power to win, seriously that makes no sense......as for wilhelm playing good, he had his chance and he missed it, and was like 30 sumtin % from the field, so right there it says that Kick DID help his team win and thats why they are STATE CHAMPS!! Congrats to DHS!

You tell me who played good based on these stats...

[font=Arial]Jeremy Gunderson 0-4 0-0 0
Luke Martinez 3-9 1-1 8,
Ben Peterson 3-12 4-6 10
Luke Senger 0-2 0-0 0
Brandon Feser 0-7 6-8 6
Drew Hendrickson 4-7 0-0 9
Ryan Malm 0-0 0-0 0
Esley Thorton 0-1 0-0 0

The other 8 players that played last night for BHS went a combined 10-42, 24%, from the field. Ya... lot of nice help for Wilhelm there. Hendrickson is the only one that you could say had close to a good game. Face it, Wilhelm ment way more to BHS last night then Kick did to DHS. I'm not going to say Wilhelm played good last night, because he didn't, but I will say that he kept him in the game and did what he could.[/font]

Nobody, but who's fault is that, Dickinson played good D.....why don't u post wilhelm's stats too, with all the shots he took, maybe he should of passed the ball a couple times and gave a few team mates a try, hendrickson stepped from the normal production they get from him. ok, and u said he did what he could, so obviously he isn't better than kick if KICK did do what he could and helped his team win. Don't say they won cuz Marcus stepped up......BIG players step up when needed.....once again Congrats to DHS!

Ya ok, you don't have to congratulate DHS after every post, I think they get the point that you are happy. Wilhelm was 7-24 from the field and 4-7 from the free throw line to finish with 22. I do think Kick had the better game last night but if Martinez would have played usual, and Fridley wouldn't have played so well, BHS would have won.

you can also look at it and say if bauer and bruschwein would have been hitting threes like usual ( i dont remember either making one) dickinson would have won by more than they did

True point
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Buckeye » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:28 pm

Wilhelm's a very good player, but Kick's better.  Don't really even think it's that close.  Also, let's not equate grimacing, clapping hands and slapping the floor with playing harder or better.  The two have different styles.  It's like comparing Tim Duncan to Alonzo Mourning or Tracey Mcgrady to Kevin Garnett.        

Regular season - Kick +2 pts and +1.25 rbs.  Kick shot 55.3%.  Wilhelm %?  State Tournament - BHS loses, Wilhem takes 25 more shots, scores 1 more point and is named MVP!  Really!  I don't know if Kick has ever had a 7-28  night in his career while Wilhelm seemed to get there or close a number of times.  How many points do you think Kick would post with Wilhem's shots.  Well, last year WDA tournament Kick was asked to shoot more.  He set a new scoring record for the tournament.  His 3 game total is better than any 4 game total.  If Kick does that this year, DHS may not be state champs, which leads me to my next point.

The main difference between the two is Kick made his team better.  If you watched Kick play this year, you saw he did a very nice job of getting other players involved.  He would play almost too unselfishly at times to create open looks for others.  In the end, other players gaining confidence and being called upon during the regular season helped DHS win State.  Didn't see much of that from Wilhelm, which explains the shot totals.  When the double came he would usually continue to spin/fake until he got his shot off.  Martinez looked like "hot as a pistol"  J Mack during the first half of the Williston game.  Kept waiting for Wilhem and others to get him the ball in the second  half.  Didn't happen.  Yes, I know they had a lead and maybe Williston focused on Martinez more, but I saw the game he was open.  Do you think that would happen to Bruhschwein?  Also, the point about kick not shooting as often from beyond 15ft.  He could, but Why? 

The argument about DHS having better players, so Wilhelm has to do more.  Then how do you explain Kick having better numbers.  Doesn't add up.  And yes, Fridley had a great Championship game and deserves a ton of credit, but others didn't (scoring).

The bottom line is Wilhelm fills up a stat sheet, sometimes at his teams expense.  I seriously was hoping he would continue to shoot last night, and he did.  Kick quietly fills up a stat sheet more while playing as a team.   Early in the championship game Wilhelm was almost taunting Kick, after hitting a  three, high stepping and smiling.  Kick came through down the stretch, Wilhelm didn't.  Who's smiling now! 

Buckeye
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baller01 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Buckeye wrote:Wilhelm's a very good player, but Kick's better.  Don't really even think it's that close.  Also, let's not equate grimacing, clapping hands and slapping the floor with playing harder or better.  The two have different styles.  It's like comparing Tim Duncan to Alonzo Mourning or Tracey Mcgrady to Kevin Garnett.        

Regular season - Kick +2 pts and +1.25 rbs.  Kick shot 55.3%.  Wilhelm %?  State Tournament - BHS loses, Wilhem takes 25 more shots, scores 1 more point and is named MVP!  Really!  I don't know if Kick has ever had a 7-28  night in his career while Wilhelm seemed to get there or close a number of times.  How many points do you think Kick would post with Wilhem's shots.  Well, last year WDA tournament Kick was asked to shoot more.  He set a new scoring record for the tournament.  His 3 game total is better than any 4 game total.  If Kick does that this year, DHS may not be state champs, which leads me to my next point.

The main difference between the two is Kick made his team better.  If you watched Kick play this year, you saw he did a very nice job of getting other players involved.  He would play almost too unselfishly at times to create open looks for others.  In the end, other players gaining confidence and being called upon during the regular season helped DHS win State.  Didn't see much of that from Wilhelm, which explains the shot totals.  When the double came he would usually continue to spin/fake until he got his shot off.  Martinez looked like "hot as a pistol"  J Mack during the first half of the Williston game.  Kept waiting for Wilhem and others to get him the ball in the second  half.  Didn't happen.  Yes, I know they had a lead and maybe Williston focused on Martinez more, but I saw the game he was open.  Do you think that would happen to Bruhschwein?  Also, the point about kick not shooting as often from beyond 15ft.  He could, but Why? 

The argument about DHS having better players, so Wilhelm has to do more.  Then how do you explain Kick having better numbers.  Doesn't add up.  And yes, Fridley had a great Championship game and deserves a ton of credit, but others didn't (scoring).

The bottom line is Wilhelm fills up a stat sheet, sometimes at his teams expense.  I seriously was hoping he would continue to shoot last night, and he did.  Kick quietly fills up a stat sheet more while playing as a team.   Early in the championship game Wilhelm was almost taunting Kick, after hitting a  three, high stepping and smiling.  Kick came through down the stretch, Wilhelm didn't.  Who's smiling now! 

Kick and Wilhelm are good friends. Don't turn a little friendly rival into something that it isn't.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Buckeye » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:37 pm

OK. Thanks for the info. Hope my post doesn't hurt their friendship.
Buckeye
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baller01 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Buckeye wrote:OK. Thanks for the info. Hope my post doesn't hurt their friendship.

I'm sure it won't. I just didn't want you to thinkWilhelm was taunting him for no reason. It was just the friendliness in there rivalry.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wrestler » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Buckeye wrote:Wilhelm's a very good player, but Kick's better.  Don't really even think it's that close.  Also, let's not equate grimacing, clapping hands and slapping the floor with playing harder or better.  The two have different styles.  It's like comparing Tim Duncan to Alonzo Mourning or Tracey Mcgrady to Kevin Garnett.        

Nice post Buckeye. 
Wrestler
NDPreps Starter

Postby highrise » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:18 pm

i watch wilhelm i think that he should play against someone that plays defense and all that showboating won't be going on, good player need to play the game.
highrise
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:23 pm

highrise wrote:i watch wilhelm i think that he should play against someone that plays defense and all that showboating won't be going on, good player need to play the game.

That showboating was meant to no one else besides Kick. Kick and him have a nice rivalary going and you know how them go. Sure you want to go out and get the win for your team but everytime you play against someone in which you have your own little rival between each other, there is a little jawing and showboating. Let it go...
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoopsfan_2007 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Kick is a better all around player, Kick played better in state championship game, and Kick is a state champion. 

What is up with the "media" and their all tourney team?  4 kids from Dicky?  Willhelm over Kick for MVP????  Kick wasn't unianimous selection??  Give me a break. 

Senior player of the year is obviously just that.  I think JB had the best season, I agree with that selection.

Mr.Basketball is who had the best career.  And I think Qvale will win that. 

hoopsfan_2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:31 pm

and its a media award where Sr. Player of the year is voted by the coaches.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDball33 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:37 pm

Kick, no doubt about it.  The kid can do it all.  I still think that these are the two of top all round players in the state, but from what I've seen Kick finds ways for his team to win.  He is very unselfish with the ball, but we all know he is capable of putting up points in a hurry when needed.
NDball33
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hoopsfan_2007 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:39 pm

SCC wrote:Mr. Basketball is senior athlete of the year, but with both classes.

so the media voted for the all tourney team and MVP and the coaches vote for senior athlete of the year.

and mr.basketball is voted on by the media and the canidates come from where?
hoopsfan_2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:41 pm

the senior athlete of the year was both classes... the senior athlete from the wda and edc were the 2 nomine's JB and the kid from whapeton were the 2 i believe... and also we can sit here and argue about who is the better player hands down and all this mumbo jumbo... everyone has there little points and there great to hear but i think i speak for a lot of people saying that u cant point out either one of these two players being the best better than the other... they both had great AMAZING careers in high school and now as a whole state we need to support these guys as they make the jump to college basketball and not keep trying to figure out who is better... there both amazing players and honestly i dont know who i would have take the last shot in the game because if i was a coach i would have complete trust in both of those guys... lets just support all out home grown ND talent we have this year instead of bringin them all down!
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:50 pm

hoopsfan_2007 wrote:

so the media voted for the all tourney team and MVP and the coaches vote for senior athlete of the year.

and mr.basketball is voted on by the media and the canidates come from where?

The media picks the candidates.....it is a total media award. 
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoopsfan_2007 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:51 pm

sqeak63 wrote:

the senior athlete of the year was both classes... the senior athlete from the wda and edc were the 2 nomine's JB and the kid from whapeton were the 2 i believe... and also we can sit here and argue about who is the better player hands down and all this mumbo jumbo... everyone has there little points and there great to hear but i think i speak for a lot of people saying that u cant point out either one of these two players being the best better than the other... they both had great AMAZING careers in high school and now as a whole state we need to support these guys as they make the jump to college basketball and not keep trying to figure out who is better... there both amazing players and honestly i dont know who i would have take the last shot in the game because if i was a coach i would have complete trust in both of those guys... lets just support all out home grown ND talent we have this year instead of bringin them all down!

So does anybody know the criteria for Mr.Basketball??  Best senior season, best career, grades, attitude, etc? 
hoopsfan_2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:53 pm

hoopsfan_2007 wrote:
sqeak63 wrote:

So does anybody know the criteria for Mr.Basketball??  Best senior season, best career, grades, attitude, etc? 

lol ask king james he should know !
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoopsfan_2007 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:59 pm

i guess i dont know king james?
hoopsfan_2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:01 pm

haha sorry about that inside joke.. lets just say he has Mr. Basketball in his blood
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoopsfan_2007 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:08 pm

sqeak63 wrote:haha sorry about that inside joke.. lets just say he has Mr. Basketball in his blood

is he a former mr.bb or what? 
hoopsfan_2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:25 pm

hoopsfan_2007 wrote:
sqeak63 wrote:haha sorry about that inside joke.. lets just say he has Mr. Basketball in his blood

is he a former mr.bb or what? 

haha i dont want everyone to know who he is so i am just gonna stop here and let people assume things
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Y-not Daily » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:31 pm

hoopsfan_2007 wrote:Kick is a better all around player, Kick played better in state championship game, and Kick is a state champion. 

What is up with the "media" and their all tourney team?  4 kids from Dicky?  Willhelm over Kick for MVP????  Kick wasn't unianimous selection??  Give me a break. 

Senior player of the year is obviously just that.  I think JB had the best season, I agree with that selection.

Mr.Basketball is who had the best career.  And I think Qvale will win that. 

In all state tourneys the all-tourney ballots have to be in by halftime of the title game. It's pretty stupid, because at that point, it's usually impossible to say if the game is still close. The think Wilhelm got the edge for MVP because he had 15 at half.

If they had voted after the game, it would have been Kick or Fridley as MVP for sure.

Generally, on a 10 or 11 person (10 with an MVP) all-tourney team, I think you should have at least half the players from the title game. So that ususally means 2 or 3 from each team at least.

I still wasn't too impressed by Wilhelm's overall tourney. He shot the ball poorly in every game. He shot 7 of 27 against South and 6 of 17 against Williston and was 7 of 24 in the title game. I know the defense was tough and points were hard to come by from both teams, but that's like 20 for 68, which is 29 percent. The thing that is tough for him is that unless Martinez had it going, he was the team's only offense. Peterson had a pretty quiet tourney IMO. They just played great 'D' and that got them as far as they could go.

As for Mr. Basketball, it's between Kick and Qvale in my opinion, although I think Ironheart should definitely be one of the finalists. Kick led his team to the state title and Qvale affected the game more than any other player in the state. If you were playing Williston, your top two concerns were how are you going to slow Qvale on offense and how are you going to score points when it almost impossible to get anything in the paint. Some teams, like Bismarck High and Mandan, did a good enough job to get the better of Williston, other teams like Minot, couldn't get the trick.

Also, Mr. Basketball is a season award as far as I know.
Last edited by Y-not Daily on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y-not Daily

Postby KevO42 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:09 pm

baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:I take Wilhelm.  Out of the best players in the state, Wilhelm I believe, has the best moves.  If you have to pick one player to take the last shot, I'll take Wilhelm anyday because of his one on one moves and his ability to get to the hole.

Why would he deserve it? they all deserved......wilhelm had a chance to tie it up.....he missed it...plain and simple...he missed! so i would have to say i wouldn't take him to take the last shot while Kick has had his hands in like 3 or 4 last second wins.

Lets make this perfectly clear, the only reason Dickinson won was because Fridley played extremely well. Who else besides Wilhelm played good? That's what I thougt. Wilhelm tried everything in his power to get his team the win, thats what I mean when I say he deserved it. I'm not saying Kick or DHS didn't deserve it, its just I thought Wilhelm was doing everything in his power to get him that win.

Hahaha yeah ok.....im pretty sure wilhelm didn't score all the points he only had 22, so sumbody played good to score 30 more or whatever it was. what kid isn't gonna try to do everything in his power to win, seriously that makes no sense......as for wilhelm playing good, he had his chance and he missed it, and was like 30 sumtin % from the field, so right there it says that Kick DID help his team win and thats why they are STATE CHAMPS!! Congrats to DHS!

Luke Martinez 3-9 1-1 8,
Ben Peterson 3-12 4-6 10
Luke Senger 0-2 0-0 0
Brandon Feser 0-7 6-8 6
Ryan Malm 0-0 0-0 0
Esley Thorton 0-1 0-0 0

The other 8 players that played last night for BHS went a combined 10-42, 24%, from the field. Ya... lot of nice help for Wilhelm there. Hendrickson is the only one that you could say had close to a good game. Face it, Wilhelm ment way more to BHS last night then Kick did to DHS. I'm not going to say Wilhelm played good last night, because he didn't, but I will say that he kept him in the game and did what he could.[/font]

Nobody, but who's fault is that, Dickinson played good D.....why don't u post wilhelm's stats too, with all the shots he took, maybe he should of passed the ball a couple times and gave a few team mates a try, hendrickson stepped from the normal production they get from him. ok, and u said he did what he could, so obviously he isn't better than kick if KICK did do what he could and helped his team win. Don't say they won cuz Marcus stepped up......BIG players step up when needed.....once again Congrats to DHS!

Ya ok, you don't have to congratulate DHS after every post, I think they get the point that you are happy. Wilhelm was 7-24 from the field and 4-7 from the free throw line to finish with 22. I do think Kick had the better game last night but if Martinez would have played usual, and Fridley wouldn't have played so well, BHS would have won.

but BHS didnt win, no matter what, part of being on a TEAM is that the other 4 players count. so if fridley had a good game and kick plays average its still a win. just because people love wilhelm doesnt mean he deserved to win. and i dont think KICK or WILHELM deserve to win the teams deserve to win. bball is a TEAM sport
KevO42

Postby Wildcat » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Mr. Basketball is a season award.

Voting depends on certain tournaments. Some tournaments allow announcers to vote because they see most of the tournament while others limit it to strictly media.

Either way, Kick probably should have been MVP, but YNOTDAILY is most likely correct in assuming that Wilhelm's 15 points at half contributed to that ast he ballots need time to be counted, which is done usually in the second half/fourth quarter.

I think its between Kick and Qvale for Mr. Basketball. I think Kick should win it because of the state championship. In such a close race, I think that carries a lot of weight. However, Qvale had mind-boggling numbers at the end of the season.

I guess it comes down to whether or not Qvale's end of season numbers are enough to overcome Kick's state championship, considering Kick's numbers weren't that bad either. It should be interesting.

It's kind of funny, because Belohlavek will be considered because of awesome numbers, though he didn't get to state. Wilhelm should be considered because he took his team to the state title game, though with worse numbers than the other three.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby da_man 23 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:15 am

baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:

Luke Martinez 3-9 1-1 8,
Ben Peterson 3-12 4-6 10
Luke Senger 0-2 0-0 0
Brandon Feser 0-7 6-8 6
Ryan Malm 0-0 0-0 0
Esley Thorton 0-1 0-0 0

I will continue to congratulate them becuase of ppl like who don't give them credit where it is due......what cuz ur killdeer cowboys didn't make it to state u take it out the midgets....serioulsy buddy stick to your class B posts and hope that default doesn't go to dhs next year, cuz then u will have to cheer for them. they are the top team in CLass A and Kick is better than wilhelm, if all ur gona do is put them down, go back to class B, cuz we dont' want it here. Big players step up when needed, obviously wilhelm had a chance to tie, he choked, he missed a couple huge free throws at the end also, along with shooting 29 % from the field, this is a pointless discussion, its Kick hands down.
da_man 23

Postby True Fan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:24 am

da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
baller01 wrote:

Luke Martinez 3-9 1-1 8,
Ben Peterson 3-12 4-6 10
Luke Senger 0-2 0-0 0
Brandon Feser 0-7 6-8 6
Ryan Malm 0-0 0-0 0
Esley Thorton 0-1 0-0 0

I will continue to congratulate them becuase of ppl like who don't give them credit where it is due......what cuz ur killdeer cowboys didn't make it to state u take it out the midgets....serioulsy buddy stick to your class B posts and hope that default doesn't go to dhs next year, cuz then u will have to cheer for them. they are the top team in CLass A and Kick is better than wilhelm, if all ur gona do is put them down, go back to class B, cuz we dont' want it here. Big players step up when needed, obviously wilhelm had a chance to tie, he choked, he missed a couple huge free throws at the end also, along with shooting 29 % from the field, this is a pointless discussion, its Kick hands down.

Wow, did someone get mistreated in his childhood?  That is about the most idiotic, childish post I have ever seen.  Be happy for Dickinson, but don't attack another player to make your point.  Kick is a helluva player and so is Wilhelm, enough said.  And people who are obviously more educated than you in basketball must have thought Wilhelm did something right to be voted MVP of the state tourney.
True Fan
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys