Best Coach in Class A

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Number7 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:34 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on the best coach in class A? everyone is talking about players but lets give the coaches a little credit
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:35 pm

steve miller is a really good coach always gets the best out of his players also dean w. not gonna try to spell it from dickinson is a very good coach

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:49 pm

shultis from north
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MHSfan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Anyone heard of a guy named Gene Manson?;)
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:49 pm

If Gerald Vetter was still coaching he would be the best IMO. That guy is amazing. Not only a great basketball mind, but also a great guy period.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:50 pm

baller01 wrote:If Gerald Vetter was still coaching he would be the best IMO. That guy is amazing. Not only a great basketball mind, but also a great guy period.

i def. agree, he is a great guy also my favorite teacher
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:52 pm

Ming01 wrote:
baller01 wrote:If Gerald Vetter was still coaching he would be the best IMO. That guy is amazing. Not only a great basketball mind, but also a great guy period.

i def. agree, he is a great guy also my favorite teacher

Haha sorry, I don't know him as a techer. I only know him as a coach and as a person and he definately is one of the better guys I know in both of those.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cityleaguer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:17 pm

cdub1 wrote:steve miller is a really good coach always gets the best out of his players also dean w. not gonna try to spell it from dickinson is a very good coach

Winczewski is an extremely basketball smart coach...however, he seems a little childish at times with the tantrums he throws on the sidelines and toward his players during the game.  Have to say he know what he's doing though, his team's haven't been too bad the last 5 years or so.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan1989 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:41 pm

I'd say the coach from Williston has produced some great defensive teams...Coach Slotsvke I think hs nmae his
sportsfan1989

Postby cityleaguer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:08 am

sportsfan1989 wrote:I'd say the coach from Williston has produced some great defensive teams...Coach Slotsvke I think hs nmae his

I think he could really take some heat if he doesn't produce a championship soon though.  With the talent he's had the past few years, he may be running out of time...Casey Schmitz, James Hennessey, Brian Qvale..and I think a big man is key to a championship and right now he has the best in the state.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:48 am

cityleaguer wrote:
sportsfan1989 wrote:I'd say the coach from Williston has produced some great defensive teams...Coach Slotsvke I think hs nmae his

I think he could really take some heat if he doesn't produce a championship soon though.  With the talent he's had the past few years, he may be running out of time...Casey Schmitz, James Hennessey, Brian Qvale..and I think a big man is key to a championship and right now he has the best in the state.

yeah i agree, it seems like slotsve can't win the big game
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby squeak63 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:13 am

Ming01 wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:

with the talent he has put to waste i dont think she should be able to be mentioned in here... and yeah a team is gonna be good at defence when u have a 6'11" guy in the middle... a team like minot bismarck or mandan who has basically no size are better all around defensive teams
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby coyotefan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:16 pm

yeah but slotsve has been coaching for 6 years now and he has got the to the state tournament all of the years. and had a respectable finish, but his only downfall would have to be no championship, but hopefully that will all change this year!
Last edited by coyotefan on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coyotefan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsfan1989 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:09 pm

sqeak63 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:

with the talent he has put to waste i dont think she should be able to be mentioned in here... and yeah a team is gonna be good at defence when u have a 6'11" guy in the middle... a team like minot bismarck or mandan who has basically no size are better all around defensive teams

Well if you've watched the past years he hasn't always had a 6' 11" guy he's just a good defensive coach
sportsfan1989

Postby cityleaguer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:41 pm

sportsfan1989 wrote:
sqeak63 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:

Well if you've watched the past years he hasn't always had a 6' 11" guy he's just a good defensive coach

except that Qvale's been playing for 4 years now...????  And the year before that he had Casey Schmitz, along with his brother jake a few years before, he's done nothing with any of that talent. Also Hennessey has played with almost all of them and he was Mr. Basketball....How do you not get a championship with those caliber of players? It baffles me!
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:00 am

cityleaguer wrote:
sportsfan1989 wrote:
sqeak63 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:

except that Qvale's been playing for 4 years now...????  And the year before that he had Casey Schmitz, along with his brother jake a few years before, he's done nothing with any of that talent. Also Hennessey has played with almost all of them and he was Mr. Basketball....How do you not get a championship with those caliber of players? It baffles me!

must have taken a page from the Valley City coaching hand book...jeff boschee...tyrone terry......not much to show for that talent
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsfan1989 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:47 am

Well Qvale didn't start as a freshmen and played about half the time his sophomore year and just because he hasn't taken a state championship has no relevance to being a good defensive coach..
sportsfan1989

Postby hoopsfan_2007 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:05 am

sportsfan1989 wrote:Well Qvale didn't start as a freshmen and played about half the time his sophomore year and just because he hasn't taken a state championship has no relevance to being a good defensive coach..

Yeah he must be a real genius defensive coach, someone on about every team they have played have lit them up.  Mandan kid twice, elgie, kick, knife,  willhelm, etc etc.  He has Qvale quarding 6'3 guards on the perimeter.

He has had more talent the past 5 or 6 years then any other team in the state and nothing to show for it. 

hoopsfan_2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan1989 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:34 pm

hoopsfan_2007 wrote:
sportsfan1989 wrote:Well Qvale didn't start as a freshmen and played about half the time his sophomore year and just because he hasn't taken a state championship has no relevance to being a good defensive coach..

Yeah he must be a real genius defensive coach, someone on about every team they have played have lit them up.  Mandan kid twice, elgie, kick, knife,  willhelm, etc etc.  He has Qvale quarding 6'3 guards on the perimeter.

He has had more talent the past 5 or 6 years then any other team in the state and nothing to show for it. 

So has every other team...so what's your point..I'm fairly positive that a majority of the pople would say Williston is in the top 2 best defensive teams..maybe 3
sportsfan1989

Postby flyguy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:40 am

I think the best coach in Class A boys is Gene Manson. He has his team playing great ball in the WDA tournement and they are shooting the lights out!
flyguy

Postby Orr4 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:09 pm

hoopsfan_2007 wrote:

Hey man it takes a whole team to help out, not just one player. Sure someone is gonna have a big game but when the whole coyote defense plays to their potential, the other team is gonna have a hard time trying to beat them.
Last edited by Orr4 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys