There's no such thing as "over the back"

What's going on in Class AA hoops.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

There's no such thing as "over the back"

Postby ItsJustaSport » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Dear fans,

While I sit in the stands watching game after game this year, I hear the common complaint of a call not being called. "OVER THE BACK" people will yell. Well, I hate to tell you but "over the back" doesn't exist. It isnt a call. Here is a great article that explains the myths of "over the back" and why it isn't a foul and what really is a foul.

Enjoy. http://www.infosports.com/basketball/arch/2287.htm
ItsJustaSport
NDPreps Rookie

Re: There's no such thing as "over the back"

Postby ndcharlie37 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:18 am

Way back, (eons ago), when I played the game, "over the back" was called quite often by the Refs. It was simply a foul where one defensive player got too close to an offensive player from behind and was caught making contact usually by reaching for the ball "over his back". Maybe in today's basketball it isn't called, or it is called by a different name.
ndcharlie37
NDPreps Reserve

Re: There's no such thing as "over the back"

Postby Flip » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:29 pm

ndcharlie37 wrote:Way back, (eons ago), when I played the game, "over the back" was called quite often by the Refs. It was simply a foul where one defensive player got too close to an offensive player from behind and was caught making contact usually by reaching for the ball "over his back". Maybe in today's basketball it isn't called, or it is called by a different name.

It's called, it's called pushing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Basketball - Class AA