Smoking?

All other topics other than sports related.

Should it be illegal for parents to smoke in their home when they have children living there?

Yes
11
65%
No
6
35%
 
Total votes : 17

Re: Smoking?

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 am

I'm not sure if you are right. I don't want to read the North Dakota Century Code to find out though.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:35 am

balla45 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:I agree with baseball18, why should somebody have to risk their freedom to help another? It's not right... The government has no business what people do inside their homes


Actually, they do.

Think about the Patriot Act and such. Whether we like it or not, our government is very powerful.

Also, which freedom is more important, the right to smoke, or the right to breathe clean air?

As my history teacher once said, "my freedom ends at your nose." He is saying that he has freedom until it infringes on another person's rights. Which one is more important?


Yes, they do... but it doesn't make it right does it? IMO, the government is way too powerful, government is more efficient when it's limited and small. When it intrudes into our personal lives that's when problems persist. America is home of the free. If the government can take away one right such as smoking, what's to stop them to take away others? Such as guns, private property, free speech...

They're both important, they're both freedoms. I don't think one takes precedent over the other, but does it make it right to take away ones freedom to smoke esp. on their own property whether it be a business, home, or car? I don't think it is right.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Smoking?

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:41 am

Haha...The difference between Republicans and Democrats. We may be the perfect example.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:49 am

balla45 wrote:Haha...The difference between Republicans and Democrats. We may be the perfect example.


haha, this is true. I am a political science minor so I get really into this stuff
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Smoking?

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:23 pm

I've got a question for you political pundits: If the government has no business in what we do in our own homes, why is viewing child pornography illegal in your own home? Why is it illegal to fire a gun in your own home within the city limits? Why is it illegal to shoot someone in your own home? Why is it illegal to abuse a child in your own home?

Now, before you go wild, I realize these are extreme examples. And I DO NOT advocate any of these things. What I am getting at is that in some situations the government DOES have business with what we do in our own homes.

So my question is, where do you draw the line? When can the government step in and when can it not?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
User avatar
Hinsa
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:53 am
Location: THE Red River Valley Conference

Re: Smoking?

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:27 pm

Hinsa wrote:I've got a question for you political pundits: If the government has no business in what we do in our own homes, why is viewing child pornography illegal in your own home? Why is it illegal to fire a gun in your own home within the city limits? Why is it illegal to shoot someone in your own home? Why is it illegal to abuse a child in your own home?

Now, before you go wild, I realize these are extreme examples. And I DO NOT advocate any of these things. What I am getting at is that in some situations the government DOES have business with what we do in our own homes.

So my question is, where do you draw the line? When can the government step in and when can it not?


I'm agreeing with you on all of these issues. I think the government should be able to step in. I for one would almost consider it a mild form of child abuse.

If parents can smoke in their own home, why can't teachers smoke in the class room? Both of these are places where children are required to be until they are 16, and as some of you have stated before, only adults have rights.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby MARKWALD23 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Jordan stop whining. Yes smoking and second hand smoke are both bad to your health, as is your choice of deciding to drink 2-liter sodas. Your a hypocrite.
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Smoking?

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:58 pm

MARKWALD23 wrote:Jordan stop whining. Yes smoking and second hand smoke are both bad to your health, as is your choice of deciding to drink 2-liter sodas. Your a hypocrite.


You aren't worth my time.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:59 pm

MARKWALD23 wrote:Jordan stop whining. Yes smoking and second hand smoke are both bad to your health, as is your choice of deciding to drink 2-liter sodas. Your a hypocrite.


Is your only reason for coming on this board to rip on Jordan? Because that is all you do. If you want to call people out go somewhere else and do it. Besides, drinking a 2-liter of soda doesnt harm the person next to you...smoking does!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
User avatar
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Eastern North Dakota, ,

Re: Smoking?

Postby MARKWALD23 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Baller wrote:
MARKWALD23 wrote:Jordan stop whining. Yes smoking and second hand smoke are both bad to your health, as is your choice of deciding to drink 2-liter sodas. Your a hypocrite.


Is your only reason for coming on this board to rip on Jordan? Because that is all you do. If you want to call people out go somewhere else and do it. Besides, drinking a 2-liter of soda doesnt harm the person next to you...smoking does!


No I'm not on here just to rip on him. Yes him talking about how he's being harmed becuase of second-hand smoke is harming him. Yes soda is also bad in general, but really who walks around with a 2-liter of coke. Not only are his parents harming with second-hand smoke indirectly, he's also directly harming himself by drinking 2-liter sodas.
MARKWALD23
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Smoking?

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Did anyone else understand what he was talking about?
User avatar
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2075
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Fargo

Re: Smoking?

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Hinsa wrote:I've got a question for you political pundits: If the government has no business in what we do in our own homes, why is viewing child pornography illegal in your own home? Why is it illegal to fire a gun in your own home within the city limits? Why is it illegal to shoot someone in your own home? Why is it illegal to abuse a child in your own home?

Now, before you go wild, I realize these are extreme examples. And I DO NOT advocate any of these things. What I am getting at is that in some situations the government DOES have business with what we do in our own homes.

So my question is, where do you draw the line? When can the government step in and when can it not?


Ok first of all, Sauceauer doesn't know what he's talking about when he says minors don't have rights. There are steps where government can step over, why we can't look at child pornography or abuse children (or anybody for that matter) because of age, privacy reasons, and protection reasons. We all know what child abuse can do to children physically and mentally, most don't have control over any of what happens to the victims of it, which is why they need to be protected from it.

Secondly, smoking is a legal substance (Im talking cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, and such). It is a free choice. Free society is all about making choices. Smoking is bad for you and you shouldn't do it, there, that's all that should be done in a free society to stop people from smoking. Smoking is a choice and the government should not interfere with that choice, esp. in our private homes or cars even with children IMO. I think it all comes down to freedom and personal responsibility.

Second-hand smoke is bad for us, but so are so many other things. Should cell phones be banned from cars? More people have died in car accidents with ppl using cell phones than second-hand smoke in cars.

When the government makes decisions for us, we lose rights. And that's what it all comes down to.

Here's a great quote from John Stossel: "When we get to make our own decisions, we don't all have to make the same decisions. Some of the time, at least, we can all get what we want -- even when we don't all want the same thing."
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Smoking?

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Cell phones? Funny you should mention that. Text messaging while driving is being banned across the country every day.

also:
http://www.cell-block-r.com/BannedPhones.htm
User avatar
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2075
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Fargo

Re: Smoking?

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:10 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:Cell phones? Funny you should mention that. Text messaging while driving is being banned across the country every day.

also:
http://www.cell-block-r.com/BannedPhones.htm


lol, yeah I think it is ridiculous, how about eating while driving? That sure distracts a lot of people while driving... How about women doing their hair or makeup while driving? How about somebody writing a letter and sealing it in an envelope (I've seen that before). I think people will always find something to help distract themselves while driving. It's a waste of time to keep banning these things...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Smoking?

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:32 pm

Speaking of eating when driving, I did a speech on that in seventh or eighth grade. I said that cell phones should be legal in cars, because I can talk on a phone on one hand, but to eat an UNHEALTHY, BODY HARMING, triple whopper with cheese, I need two hands.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:50 pm

MARKWALD23 wrote:
Baller wrote:
MARKWALD23 wrote:Jordan stop whining. Yes smoking and second hand smoke are both bad to your health, as is your choice of deciding to drink 2-liter sodas. Your a hypocrite.


Is your only reason for coming on this board to rip on Jordan? Because that is all you do. If you want to call people out go somewhere else and do it. Besides, drinking a 2-liter of soda doesnt harm the person next to you...smoking does!


No I'm not on here just to rip on him. Yes him talking about how he's being harmed becuase of second-hand smoke is harming him. Yes soda is also bad in general, but really who walks around with a 2-liter of coke. Not only are his parents harming with second-hand smoke indirectly, he's also directly harming himself by drinking 2-liter sodas.


All right. I'll bite.

Are you really comparing carcinogens, cancer causing material, to sugar crystals, caramel, caffeine, phosphoric acid, coca leaf and kola nut extract, lime extract, flavoring mixture, vanilla and glycerin?

CANCER KILLS PEOPLE, Coke doesn't.

But, let's see here, drinking pop is hurting me? Really? I swear I set a p.r. in track, drinking 3 pops on the way up to the meet. Are you sure that drinking soda is harming me, or are you simply trying to cause another conflict?

What direct harm has it caused to me? My 0 cavities maybe? Maybe that is why I lost so many WDA meets last year? Wait, I didn't lose any. Hmm...Want to enlighten me on how drinking pop has harmed my body.

Some fun facts, just for you Mr. Wald. After drinking water, I can bench 265 pounds. After drinking a pop I can bench 280 pounds. After drinking water, I can box squat 380. After drinking a pop, I can box squat 465.

How is this Coke harming me? I'll answer my own question, it isn't.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby alexanderthegreat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:51 pm

That's impressive... I feel like crap if i drink pop and then go do any sort of physical activity, that's why I rarely drink pop. Tell me your secrets haha
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.
User avatar
alexanderthegreat
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Smoking?

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 pm

balla45 wrote:
MARKWALD23 wrote:
Baller wrote:
MARKWALD23 wrote:Jordan stop whining. Yes smoking and second hand smoke are both bad to your health, as is your choice of deciding to drink 2-liter sodas. Your a hypocrite.


Is your only reason for coming on this board to rip on Jordan? Because that is all you do. If you want to call people out go somewhere else and do it. Besides, drinking a 2-liter of soda doesnt harm the person next to you...smoking does!


No I'm not on here just to rip on him. Yes him talking about how he's being harmed becuase of second-hand smoke is harming him. Yes soda is also bad in general, but really who walks around with a 2-liter of coke. Not only are his parents harming with second-hand smoke indirectly, he's also directly harming himself by drinking 2-liter sodas.


All right. I'll bite.

Are you really comparing carcinogens, cancer causing material, to sugar crystals, caramel, caffeine, phosphoric acid, coca leaf and kola nut extract, lime extract, flavoring mixture, vanilla and glycerin?

CANCER KILLS PEOPLE, Coke doesn't.

But, let's see here, drinking pop is hurting me? Really? I swear I set a p.r. in track, drinking 3 pops on the way up to the meet. Are you sure that drinking soda is harming me, or are you simply trying to cause another conflict?

What direct harm has it caused to me? My 0 cavities maybe? Maybe that is why I lost so many WDA meets last year? Wait, I didn't lose any. Hmm...Want to enlighten me on how drinking pop has harmed my body.

Some fun facts, just for you Mr. Wald. After drinking water, I can bench 265 pounds. After drinking a pop I can bench 280 pounds. After drinking water, I can box squat 380. After drinking a pop, I can box squat 465.

How is this Coke harming me? I'll answer my own question, it isn't.


I just want to be devils advocate here, cancer does kill people however everyone has cancer in their body it just depends on if it becomes beneing (sp?) or not and you are not gaurenteed cancer by smoking or inhaleing second hand smoke. However just like cancer forming there is also a chance of devoloping diabetes from too much sugars. Jordan you seem to be a healthy athlete but as soon as your sports end you have to continue to workout. Not saying its true but scince sugar increases obesiety levals I would be willing to bet in the years to come obesiety/diabetes death numbers rival the numbers from smokers dying!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:26 pm

Re: Smoking?

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:00 pm

Oh yea, if I quit working out, I would get fat, or have to change how I eat. That is true.

Even being the devil's advocate, what would you say is more likely to harm someone, smoking tobacco, or drinking soda?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby alexanderthegreat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:11 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
balla45 wrote:
MARKWALD23 wrote:
Baller wrote:
MARKWALD23 wrote:Jordan stop whining. Yes smoking and second hand smoke are both bad to your health, as is your choice of deciding to drink 2-liter sodas. Your a hypocrite.


Is your only reason for coming on this board to rip on Jordan? Because that is all you do. If you want to call people out go somewhere else and do it. Besides, drinking a 2-liter of soda doesnt harm the person next to you...smoking does!


No I'm not on here just to rip on him. Yes him talking about how he's being harmed becuase of second-hand smoke is harming him. Yes soda is also bad in general, but really who walks around with a 2-liter of coke. Not only are his parents harming with second-hand smoke indirectly, he's also directly harming himself by drinking 2-liter sodas.


All right. I'll bite.

Are you really comparing carcinogens, cancer causing material, to sugar crystals, caramel, caffeine, phosphoric acid, coca leaf and kola nut extract, lime extract, flavoring mixture, vanilla and glycerin?

CANCER KILLS PEOPLE, Coke doesn't.

But, let's see here, drinking pop is hurting me? Really? I swear I set a p.r. in track, drinking 3 pops on the way up to the meet. Are you sure that drinking soda is harming me, or are you simply trying to cause another conflict?

What direct harm has it caused to me? My 0 cavities maybe? Maybe that is why I lost so many WDA meets last year? Wait, I didn't lose any. Hmm...Want to enlighten me on how drinking pop has harmed my body.

Some fun facts, just for you Mr. Wald. After drinking water, I can bench 265 pounds. After drinking a pop I can bench 280 pounds. After drinking water, I can box squat 380. After drinking a pop, I can box squat 465.

How is this Coke harming me? I'll answer my own question, it isn't.


I just want to be devils advocate here, cancer does kill people however everyone has cancer in their body it just depends on if it becomes beneing (sp?) or not and you are not gaurenteed cancer by smoking or inhaleing second hand smoke. However just like cancer forming there is also a chance of devoloping diabetes from too much sugars. Jordan you seem to be a healthy athlete but as soon as your sports end you have to continue to workout. Not saying its true but scince sugar increases obesiety levals I would be willing to bet in the years to come obesiety/diabetes death numbers rival the numbers from smokers dying!



Well of course the obesity/diabetes related deaths are going to rival the smoking related deaths. Look at the percentage of Americans who are considered obese... good arguement though. At the same time, as long as you work out and don't over-eat you aren't going to become obese. You can't say the same about smoking. Just because you work out, but only smoke a couple cigarettes a day, its still going to most likely have a negative impact on your health.
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.
User avatar
alexanderthegreat
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Smoking?

Postby numba3511 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:24 pm

balla45 wrote:Oh yea, if I quit working out, I would get fat, or have to change how I eat. That is true.

Even being the devil's advocate, what would you say is more likely to harm someone, smoking tobacco, or drinking soda?


haha i don't know what that kid was thinking...

of course smoking tobacco is worse..
not to sure on these facts.. but i've heard that with how much sugars and sodium is in sports drinks ( powerade and gatorade ) pop is no worse for you then those are.. unless your active.. the only thing in pop is the caffeine.. supposedly pop and sports drinks are around the same for what they do for your body.. negatively that is.. the only thing in sports drinks is the electrolytes.. and that is basically pure sodium
私はちょうどあなたにこれほど上への翻訳ウェブサイトを見させました
numba3511
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Williston, North Dakota, USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby alexanderthegreat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:19 pm

He was trying to prove a point...
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.
User avatar
alexanderthegreat
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Smoking?

Postby numba3511 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 pm

yes i'm well aware of that..

i was just pointing out exactly how ridiculous whoever it was that was bashing Balla45 for drinking pop is
私はちょうどあなたにこれほど上への翻訳ウェブサイトを見させました
numba3511
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Williston, North Dakota, USA

Re: Smoking?

Postby alexanderthegreat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:32 pm

My bad, thought you were bashing Balla45... it's saucesauer and MARKWALD23 that have been having a hard time understanding this whole thing.
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.
User avatar
alexanderthegreat
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Smoking?

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:05 pm

alexanderthegreat wrote:My bad, thought you were bashing Balla45... it's saucesauer and MARKWALD23 that have been having a hard time understanding this whole thing.

Again Spare me, I fully understand it, I am just stating my opinion...which for some weird reason as of right now is totally legal however the day you cant smoke on/in personal property is probley the day we all lose our opinions too. You however do not comprehend the fact that what someone does in their house is ABSOLUTLY NONE of your business child or not if you want to stick your nose somewhere....well that is neither here nor there....
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron