Ebay: Sports Cards

All other topics other than sports related.

Ebay: Sports Cards

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:45 pm

I have a ton of sports cards from late 70's through the late 90's. Anybody have experience selling them on there or are there better options. Time to get rid of a lot of them, they take up a lot of room. I will keep some of the high dollar ones I have but thats about it. Anyone???
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Re: Ebay: Sports Cards

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:39 am

Selling on eBay is probably the way to go. If you have any complete sets, sell them as sets. Partial sets are almost worthless. The only individual cards that are worth much are rookie cards of stars. The rest should probably be sold as star player lots, meaning a lot of 25 Puckett cards, a lot of 20 Paul Molitor cards, etc. The late 70's cards could probably be sold as mixed lots. For example, a lot of 50 1978 Topps cards, or a lot of 100 1984 Donruss cards, etc. Any common cards from about 1986 to 1993 are almost worthless because of the glut of cards that were produced those years.

About how many cards do you have?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:58 pm

I wouldnt even know where to start counting. I have 2 boxes that are marked 10K each on them and a couple smaller boxes marked 3k and 5k. Probably a dozen books 6" think. And lots of scattered cards in other boxes. Probably have to sit down and start sorting through them. I've already thought about selling player sets and series sets if I can get 3/4 or better. There are always people looking to complete a set.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Here's an idea for you - if you want to make a large sale all at once, take the 10K box and look through it to find a few good cards. Then advertise it as a box of 10k cards, unsorted, ranging from 1978-1999 (or your best guess on the years) and then mention that you pulled out just a few examples of what is in the box and list those. If you can show a few solid collector cards and tell them you only searched a hundred cards to find the ones you are listing, you might "tease" someone into paying you a pretty penny for the box. Collectors can't resist a treasure box that might contain a few hidden gems.

This is provided you want to part with the whole box. If you want to keep a few collector cards for yourself and make sure you are keeping all the high end cards you might have, then by all means you have to sort through and group your cards somehow, by year, by player, by team, etc. Lot's of collectors like team lots. I'm a sucker for Twins lots when I'm scanning eBay.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories