North Dakota War Hero

All other topics other than sports related.

Postby flatlander » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:02 am

In the "fighting sioux" thread somebody said that Indians never fought for our country.

Well, obviously, that's a crock and I can't in good conscience let to go by without comment. Most of you probably remember that Indians fought and died in the French-American and Revolutationary War and probably know that they fought in every war since. However, these comments about Indians are especially ironic in light of the fact that at this very moment people are trying to get North Dakota's most decorated veteran a long-overdue Medal of Honor to go with five Purple Hearts, two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, a Combat Infantryman’s Badge, and a Distinguished Service Cross. This guy, Woodrow Wilson Keeble was Lakota and a North Dakotan warrior who fought hand-to-hand in Guadalcanal in WWII and saved his platoon in Korea by single-handedly taking out four machine gun nests and killing 16 enemy soldiers.

In fact, it's so ironic that I was wondering if somebody was expressing a fake opinion to stir up controversy. There are some arguments that it's OK to be young and say stupid things, but there are others that should be approached with respect and humility so things don't turn to hatred and evil (and, I gotta tell you, that's what I've seen happening with the Sioux nickname controversy, even though it seems like such a minor deal).

Edit: this is the quote I'm talking about
Your people suffered NOT YOU my people died in wars got smallpox had malnutrition but they died to keep us free
Last edited by flatlander on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:46 am

The last time I was in Bismarck the Heritage Center had an exhibit on WWII and there are oral histories presented.  If you have a couple of hours it is worth the time to listen. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories