UFC

All other topics other than sports related.

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 pm

I love UFC fighting and think that has got to be the hardest thing to do and be dominant at like someone like Chuck Liddell.  This topic is just for anything to do with UFC fighting.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Diamond D » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:47 am

I am a big fan.  Always have been.  I follow the fighters quite closely.

Diamond D

Postby cheesewheel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:20 pm

Did anyone else see the show on Spike TV about Tito Ortiz and Dana White? It showed how Tito made Dana put a stipulation in his contract saying they would box three 3-minute rounds. Dana trained for half a year, got it sanctioned and held up his end of the deal. But then Tito decided not to show up saying he would "give him a break."

Now I don't know about you but that is pretty week when you won't sign a contract until a stipulation you want is put in. And then you don't even show up for it.
cheesewheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:44 pm

yeah, tito's a kid

i wonder if he would have smarted off to shamrock 10 years ago when he was nearly untouchable in mixed martial arts instead of now where he's basically just a glorified over-the-hill trainer talking about the good ol days.
rep

Postby cheesewheel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:57 pm

I won't lie, I used to like Tito back when he was the one with the belt. But he started getting cockier and cockier. Now all he does is make excuses and cry like a baby when something isn't right. He's a professional fighter. Man up and take care of business.
cheesewheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby feeshattack » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:58 pm

i dont follow UFC at all... but when i do watch a match, i love watching it... they are so intense and its sweet cuz its real
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby klg_11 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:51 pm

feeshattack wrote:i dont follow UFC at all... but when i do watch a match, i love watching it... they are so intense and its sweet cuz its real

that is sweet it is real, i have only watched like two matches i would like to see more, but an honest question, they dont do that acting crap backstage where they call each other out like the WWE and stuff, i watched that a couple of times and they are terrible actors on that part but they are athletic in their ability to "fight"   but its dumb knowing they have the matchs won before hand. i think i would like watching the ufc more
Last edited by klg_11 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klg_11

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:28 am

UFC has really developed into a new fighting style all it's own.  When it first started they would put all these martial artists with different styles up against each other to see which style was the best.  Check out the old ones from the first few years, back with Royce Gracie and some of the others, that was some classic stuff.  There were some incredible fights because some guys styles just didn't work.  There definetly is a new breed of fighter and it's gonna get even bigger cause they are drawing more for their pay-per-views than the boxing matches now.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Diamond D » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:27 am

There is more behind the Tito vs Dana White than most know.  That was a pretty slanted view from Dana's side. 

I dont' mind Tito (I don't hate him, but don't love him either).  If you go to Tito's website he does explain some of the circumstances that led up to him not showing.  Some are legit, some aren't in my book.

This fight wasn't even supposed to be broadcasted.  When Tito found out it was, he asked for an official contract of which Dana did not produce.  Tito was also not getting paid for this and Dana(UFC) would have pocketed all the money.

Right now I believe Dana is working with HBO to bring the UFC there.  I don't think they are happy with PPV right now.  In fact that is why UFC 70 is on Spike and not PPV.  They couldn't get it set up over there, but Spike has networks in England so that is why it is free.  I believe UFC 72 will be in Ireland and that will also be free on Spike.

IMHO these guys are the toughest guys around.  They are complete packages.  They know judo, wrestling, boxing, jujitsu, etc...  They have to be knowledgable in all those fields or they won't make it in the octagon.

I think the TUF shows have run their couse now.  TUF1 showed them training and fighting.  Now in TUF5 all we see is alot of drama at the house.  I am loosing interest and now only pipe in for the last 15 minutes to watch the fight take place.

I get almost all the PPV fights in and do quite a bit of blogging on some of the MMA sights along with correspond with some of the fighters themselves. 
Diamond D

Postby cheesewheel » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:02 pm

Is anyone else going to watch UFC 70: Nations Collide on Spike TV tonight. I know I am. There are some good fighters such as Mirko Cro Cop and Andrei Arlovski. Heath v. Machida will be a good match. Also, it will nice to see how Bisping does in front of his home crowd.
cheesewheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:38 pm

cheesewheel wrote:Is anyone else going to watch UFC 70: Nations Collide on Spike TV tonight. I know I am. There are some good fighters such as Mirko Cro Cop and Andrei Arlovski. Heath v. Machida will be a good match. Also, it will nice to see how Bisping does in front of his home crowd.

i'm jacked for it...wife is out of town (even though she'd probably watch it and get into it too) and my entire night is pretty much set around it.
rep

Postby rep » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:07 pm

out of curiosity, has anyone seen the movie heatseaker? it is kind of a corny 'bloodsport-type' martial arts movie knockoff.

but what is kind of cool about it, is that all these fighters are brought together for this tournament that has a limit of being cybernetically enhanced by up to 45 or 50 percent or something like that. the protagonist ends up being some american that wins the tournament and isn't enhanced in any way...anyway, this kind of martial arts always makes me think how cool that would be if/when we have the technology to do it.
rep

Postby cheesewheel » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:39 am

Who here expected Cro Cop to get dropped like that? It looked like he broke his ankle when he fell to the ground. It was a real painful knockout. And Bisping looks like he could be the next big thing if he could learn to settle down and not go out there with crazed punches.
cheesewheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mauer07 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:54 pm

i just love UFC because a lot of the fighters dont like one another and they give it all to beat the crap out of their enemy
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Diamond D » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:12 am

That was by far the most devastating kicks I have ever seen in watching 14 years of UFC fighting.  After he dropped, I looked over at my buddy and said "I think he killed him".

I never expected Cro Cop to get up after that kick.  :buttkick:

Diamond D

Postby nd-ball41 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:45 am

Best thing to come around since the iPod!!!! But mad props to Dana White for getting this whole show up and running!! p.s. great article in the new sports illustrated magazine!!
nd-ball41

Postby cubsfan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:07 pm

UFC 73: Stacked is this upcoming Saturday.  There are a bunch of great fights on this card.  Anderson Silva vs Nate Marquardt for the middleweight championship, Sean Sherk vs Hermes Franca for the lightweight title, Tito Ortiz vs Rashad Evans and Heath Herring vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.  These are 4 great matchups with a bunch of big names on the undercard.  My picks for all the matches is as follows: Frank Edgar, Chris Lytle, Jorge Gurgel, Stephan Bonnar, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Rashad Evans, Sean Sherk, Nate Marquardt.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:34 am

UFC 74 Respect is this upcoming Saturday.  It will be an alright card but I would like to hear peoples opinion on the Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga fight.  It is for the heavyweight championship belt.  Randy Couture is now 44 and is still a supreme athlete.  Gabriel Gonzaga is in the prime of his career and in peak physical condition.  Couture has had problems with other fighters that have the same build and same tools as Gonzaga.  It will be an interesting fight.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Diamond D » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:31 pm

it is Captain America you are talking about.  Gonzaga is going down.

The one that is catching my eye is GSP and KOS.  The war of the 3 letter names! 
Diamond D

Postby PA42 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:50 pm

cubsfan wrote:UFC 74 Respect is this upcoming Saturday.  It will be an alright card but I would like to hear peoples opinion on the Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga fight.  It is for the heavyweight championship belt.  Randy Couture is now 44 and is still a supreme athlete.  Gabriel Gonzaga is in the prime of his career and in peak physical condition.  Couture has had problems with other fighters that have the same build and same tools as Gonzaga.  It will be an interesting fight.
i am actually more excited about the undercard. I love to watch Georges St-Pierre fight and i think koscheck is a decent opponent. The fight I am most excited about is kendall grove and patrick cote. Grove is a future world champion but cote is tough on his feet. I am anxious to see the return of former champion frank mir and former headliner renato sobral. It should be a good night but i can't wait for 74, because it is free.
PA42

Postby cubsfan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:28 pm

horne98 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:UFC 74 Respect is this upcoming Saturday.  It will be an alright card but I would like to hear peoples opinion on the Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga fight.  It is for the heavyweight championship belt.  Randy Couture is now 44 and is still a supreme athlete.  Gabriel Gonzaga is in the prime of his career and in peak physical condition.  Couture has had problems with other fighters that have the same build and same tools as Gonzaga.  It will be an interesting fight.
i am actually more excited about the undercard. I love to watch Georges St-Pierre fight and i think koscheck is a decent opponent. The fight I am most excited about is kendall grove and patrick cote. Grove is a future world champion but cote is tough on his feet. I am anxious to see the return of former champion frank mir and former headliner renato sobral. It should be a good night but i can't wait for 74, because it is free.
It seems you are wrong again horne.  It is free if you go to buffalo wild wings or playmaker's, but you are thinking of UFC 75.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:39 pm

cubsfan wrote:
horne98 wrote:
It seems you are wrong again horne.  It is free if you go to buffalo wild wings or playmaker's, but you are thinking of UFC 75.
that's what i meant. I am excited to watch hamil and bisping and i am anxious to see quinton jackson.
PA42

Postby TapouTfighter » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:13 pm

I think Gonzaga is going down in a decision (unless he lets go a kick like the one that almost killed Cro Cop).  If it goes to the mat I think Couture is too good a wrestler to let Gonzaga submit him.  Plus Couture is a master at picking apart a guys weakness.  He annihilated Tim Silva and he was WAY overmatched.  As far as the other fights,  I'm like diamond and am looking forward to the GSP and KOS fight.  I think GSP will pull it out because he's in a do or die situation (plus i'm not a fan of KOS).  And as another thought, has anyone heard anything about Tim Silva?  He's kinda dropped off the radar after losing the belt. 
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PA42 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:06 pm

he is fighting brandon vera at ufc 77 coming up.
PA42

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories