Hunting

All other topics other than sports related.

Postby klg_11 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:04 am

point/center wrote:
Diamond D wrote:The short answer is "no".  That doesn't include blizzards or thunderstorms.  Obviously those kinds of things would play a role.

I have hunted some cold mornings and still produced results.

Sunlight is the key here.  The days are getting longer and that helps trigger things such as rut or mating season amongst birds.

Although we are probably 15 degrees normal temps right now, the amount of sunlight or length of the day hasn't changed from 365 days ago, so animals adjust to the weather, but react to the sunlight.

Early season turkey hunting and late season turkey hunting changes drastically.  Right now hens are not sitting on nests.  In May when the season is getting ready to close, hens will be sitting on nests and toms will be out looking for hens which didn't get mated.  Sometimes that is why they are more responsive than early in the season.

I'm not much of a turkey hunter, I've had a few spring times. I thought it got harder as the season went on to call a tom in cause they get out of heat? Am I wrong? You sound like you've done alot of turkey hunting and know more than I do. Just trying to figure out why last year the last week of turkey hunting I really couldnt pull a bird in? Was it my cruddy box calling that I tried?

haha i noticed u were asking diamond d, but i took the liberty of answering it, diamond d do u agree with what i am saying?
klg_11

Postby Diamond D » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:49 am

Yeah, I kind of said that in my previous post.  Once the hens are sitting on nests, things tend to change.

1000's of geese you say?  When we going klg_11?  Blinds, dogs, and guns can be loaded and decoy trailer hitched up in a matter of minutes.

One thing about late season hunting is how hard those flocks get hunted.  I have hunted some public land and late season gets awful tough becuase everyone has been calling out to the birds. 

You have to remember turkeys are actually one of the smartest birds out there.  One of the reasons why Ben Franklin wanted the turkey as our National Bird. (thank heavens we got the eagle instead).

I do a radio show on turkey hunting every spring that goes statewide with Doug Leier.  My last radio spot was on March 3rd, but we are doing a follow up show on Saturday, April 21st between 11 and noon.   You can catch it on quite a few radio stations. 

550 KFYR Bismarck
790 KFGO Fargo
910 KCJB Minot
1440 KKXL Grand Forks
1460 KLTC Dickinson 

You sound like you've done alot of turkey hunting and know more than I do.

When you aren't good at HS sports, you have to find alternatives.  I chose hunting and waterskiing. 
Last edited by Diamond D on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby klg_11 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:46 am

Diamond D wrote:Yeah, I kind of said that in my previous post.  Once the hens are sitting on nests, things tend to change.

1000's of geese you say?  When we going klg_11?  Blinds, dogs, and guns can be loaded and decoy trailer hitched up in a matter of minutes.

One thing about late season hunting is how hard those flocks get hunted.  I have hunted some public land and late season gets awful tough becuase everyone has been calling out to the birds. 

You have to remember turkeys are actually one of the smartest birds out there.  One of the reasons why Ben Franklin wanted the turkey as our National Bird. (thank heavens we got the eagle instead).

I do a radio show on turkey hunting every spring that goes statewide with Doug Leier.  My last radio spot was on March 3rd, but we are doing a follow up show on Saturday, April 21st between 11 and noon.   You can catch it on quite a few radio stations. 

550 KFYR Bismarck
790 KFGO Fargo
910 KCJB Minot
1440 KKXL Grand Forks
1460 KLTC Dickinson 

When you aren't good at HS sports, you have to find alternatives.  I chose hunting and waterskiing. 

most true statement, i chose hunting and trap shooting,
klg_11

Postby klg_11 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am

there ya go diamond d, that is the last morning we were up there we were tired and sore so we went after ducks that day for other excitement but we still ended up with some geese in there. that is our decoy trailer also.

*Note:(removed picture for privacy)
Last edited by klg_11 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klg_11

Postby Diamond D » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Wow! :shock: What a nice hunt you guys had.  Even got some speckle bellies in there too!:drool:

That is a what you call a braggin' picture right there.  That is better than any metal trophy I have ever seen.

Diamond D

Postby klg_11 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:25 pm

specks is mainly what we get up there. when i go with some of the locals they tell me to shoot all i want but ask if i wouldnt mind letting them shoot the canadian geese cuz they see so few. i got another pic i was gonna put up where me my father and one of our buddies where we did a passover one morning right off the water and got 15 specks.
klg_11

Postby point/center » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:44 pm

speaking of hunting. Chuck Norris killed two stones with one bird, right after he gets done drownign a fish
Last edited by point/center on Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:10 am

so any luck this last weekend, i got close to several but no luck, they werent responsive like expected, i got a place set up for tomorrow night that should produce some results, they are definetly paried up right now and dont care to leave their mates right now.
klg_11

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:16 am

A buddy south of Bismarck said he had to shoot one just to keep it from wrecking his decoy.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:21 am

luck? as luck would have it i got sun-burned...that's it.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:12 am

Wild Wolves wrote:A buddy south of Bismarck said he had to shoot one just to keep it from wrecking his decoy.

haha, i love it!!! was it an angry tom coming in after another tom, or a tom comin in tryin to mate with decoy???
klg_11

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:13 am

point/center wrote:luck? as luck would have it i got sun-burned...that's it.

went fishing yesterday afternoon down by the river and got burnt! dont it feel good anyway, first burn of the season!
klg_11

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:15 am

klg_11 wrote:
Wild Wolves wrote:A buddy south of Bismarck said he had to shoot one just to keep it from wrecking his decoy.

haha, i love it!!! was it an angry tom coming in after another tom, or a tom comin in tryin to mate with decoy???

TOM v. TOM
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:19 am

Wild Wolves wrote:
klg_11 wrote:

TOM v. TOM

that would be pretty sweet, i had a mating decoy that a tom once came running in trying to attack the other on off of it. usually they come in strutting trying to show the hen they are the bigger male,
klg_11

Postby point/center » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:20 am

klg_11 wrote:

went fishing yesterday afternoon down by the river and got burnt! dont it feel good anyway, first burn of the season!
i could feel the burn coming....and responded with "please..burn...burn me good..it's been to long"

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 am

point/center wrote:
klg_11 wrote:

i could feel the burn coming....and responded with "please..burn...burn me good..it's been to long"

haha ya, i didnt get a very good one, kind of dissappointing, just the arms a little bit.
klg_11

Postby feeshattack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:49 pm

haha klg, you are controlling this topic... as i read through it, you have about 25 of the 35 posts, haha nice work!
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby klg_11 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:00 pm

feeshattack wrote:haha klg, you are controlling this topic... as i read through it, you have about 25 of the 35 posts, haha nice work!

sorry i love hunting, it more than a passion, its an obsession!
klg_11

Postby point/center » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:52 pm

Diamond D wrote:Yeah, I kind of said that in my previous post.  Once the hens are sitting on nests, things tend to change.

550 KFYR Bismarck
790 KFGO Fargo
910 KCJB Minot
1440 KKXL Grand Forks
1460 KLTC Dickinson 

Heard you on the radio "big gobbler" good job.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:11 pm

Does Doug L. know anything about sports?  Every time I listen to this guy I think, "this dude should be doing FB/BB games on the radio"  at least the color.  :bow:
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Does Doug L. know anything about sports?  Every time I listen to this guy I think, "this dude should be doing FB/BB games on the radio"  at least the color.  :bow:

doug l. needs to...if you are listening...forsake everything else and fill my ears with those sultry sounds
rep

Previous

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories