Private vs. Public Universities

All other topics other than sports related.

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:29 pm

I read about the opinion of some of the higher education facilities in the state. 

Lets hear what you have to say, who's the best and at what?

Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:44 pm

I have taken classes from Mayville State, Minot State, UND and the University of Mary.  I have also received instruction from some on-line universities that I would not wish to support.

I did not care for the courses and the means of course delivery from Minot State.  Instructors were helpful but I did not enjoy the format of the classes and really came away with very little new knowledge.

The courses I have taken through UND have been continuing education classes.  I have never been to the campus for course work.  However, I have been put off by the arrogant comments made by UND grads throughout my educational and work experiences.  My wife works in the medical field and has encountered the same things.

Mayville was a slow and painful social death.

U of Mary was a great experience.  I earned a masters have had a reasonably prosperous career and have enjoyed following most of the athletic teams over the years.

I have friends that loved where ever it was they went and have great careers.  I have friends that had horrible experiences where ever they went and some went to numerous places.  My point would be that as far as ND goes there are no bad choices only individual choices.  And if you choose to lump everyone from any school into a group you are doing that person a disservice.
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:34 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/13/education/13voices.html?ex=1323666000&en=00f07b443c236d40&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I did some research.  This shows why I completely hate the New York Times.
They do show some good opinions on Private Education but you can tell that the NY Times is against it.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:07 pm

I gotta go with the private school on this one.....the main reason being its 2:05 AM in the middle of fricken February and i just got in from a much needed FIRE DRILLL!!!!!  gotta love it.......
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:43 am

This is a no win question.  I have a completely different opinion of our ND private schools versus a private school like Duke or Harvard.  I just don't think you can compare the two.

I have multiple degrees and have taken classes from BSC, UND, NDSU, and some continuing education classes at LRSC.  I haven't or didn't have any issues with any of them...once in a while I was a bit ruffed at not getting into the section I wanted to get into, but other than that, a good experience.

I don't know alot about Jamestown, but have some good knowledge on Mary.  Personally it is getting a reputation of not being a strong academic college.  I can name a couple of students who have admitted to me the "easy" of U of Mary.  I also have direct knowledge of their distance master's courses and it is a joke.  Even some of the instructors themselves have admitted it behind closed doors. 

I have a few colleagues working in the human resource departments with various agencies, hospitals, etc.. and they all say the reputation U of Mary is getting is quickly moving across the state.  Many say they will hire someone with a BS degree over someone who has a master's from U of Mary because of this.

This is just my experience.

The only other thing I will add is this....This state isn't getting any bigger in terms of population.  We need to support each other.  It is the one thing that has kept ND different from everyone else.  It is why everyone shows up to the State Class B tourney.  We support each other.  With a decrease in the amount of high school graduates, I believe we need to show support for our state schools.
Last edited by Diamond D on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:35 am

Where would the city of Jamestown be without JC?  The amount of money being put into the communities of Bismarck and Jamestown because of the higher ed. facilities is HUGE! 

I haven't taken a a distance education class from Mary.  I have taken classes on campus and have found them to be very beneficial.  Distance education at any school is a joke from what I have been told.  It comes back to the individual, if they want to improve their knowledge base they will.  If they are just trying to get a credit that is all they will get.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:39 am

The whole 'higher' education thing makes my head hurt. Name a public/private business where the paying customer (students) has to park away from the 'store' (campus) while the employees (profs) get to park right up front?

and that my friends is just where it starts
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:52 am

Actually that is one of the things I liked about Mary the faculty didn't have the best parking.  Then again that vow of poverty thing may have affected their ability to afford a car. 

Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:04 am

can't be better than parking at University of Phoenix

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:10 am

Transcript acceptence from state school to state school is highly annoying.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:30 am

Transcript acceptence from state school to state school is highly annoying.

Huh?  Are we talking generals here or other classes??

Under the North Dakota University System is a shared agreement called GERTA which stands for General Education Requirement Transfer Agreement.  Any gen eds taken at any ND State institute transfer....unless of course the student failed that gen ed class, in which "F's" don't transfer.

That just works for generals though.  I would have to say that the big two are probably the toughest to work with, but if you work with the registrar on things, typically you can get your way.

Diamond D

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:41 am

There's too many colleges in this state, and they all charge too much.

Talk to your legislators about that one.  Look at the history of the state.  Students were only supposed to pay 25% of the tuition costs and the state would accept the other 75% making tuition low for our students.  Now the legislators dump all their money into human services instead of K-12 or higher education.  Higher Ed used to get 23% of the state budget and now beg for 19%.  

The student now has to pay 52% of the cost while the state covers the other 48%.  Much different than the numbers above.

My biggest question is....who would you close down?  Mayville since they are in the hole Financially?   Bottineau would take a constitutional amendment for that to happen.

We obviously need ju co's and 4 yr institutes as well.  How many though?

I will pick on LRSC since I live here in Devils Lake.   They serve over 1500 students..more than Mayville, Valley City, Williston, and Bottineau.  LRSC offers quite a few programs that you can only get in the state (Peace officer training, simulator technology, legal assistant, etc..)  I don't think shutting LRSC down is the answer.

So which ones would you target? 
Diamond D

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:30 am

Mayville is also in the constitution.  BSC and Minot offer law enforcement courses.  The course transfers were in regard to graduate classes.  

What area of study have you been referring to?  As far as U. Mary is concerned?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:53 am

Graduate classes...that is a tricky one...I am on your side there.  The big two (UND and NDSU) seem to have the most issues.  I know on the education program within the graduate or Ph. D programs you can transfer no more than 8 credits between the colleges.  I would assume the other graduate programs follow the same line, but I might be wrong.

Law enforcement is a shorter course than Peace Officer Training.  You may major in law enforcement, but must take the Peace Officer Training program before you can become an officer.  The POT program is an extension of the law enforcement program.

Last edited by Diamond D on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:59 am

is the need for all these places of higher learning driven by population or geography?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonslayer » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:46 am

baseball wrote:I gotta go with the private school on this one.....the main reason being its 2:05 AM in the middle of fricken February and i just got in from a much needed FIRE DRILLL!!!!!  gotta love it.......

do u go to UND?! because this has happened 4 times, a drunk guy fell into a fire escape at 6:00 am, highlight of my midterms.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:34 pm

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/03/16/news/update/doc45fb21513ad09614593696.txt

Bismarck Tribune article about a U Mary student who was accepted to Harvard.  Before I give credit to Mary, I stand by my previous assertion that you get what you want out of an educational opportunity
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:00 pm

Tiger Pride wrote:http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/03/16/news/update/doc45fb21513ad09614593696.txt

Bismarck Tribune article about a U Mary student who was accepted to Harvard.  Before I give credit to Mary, I stand by my previous assertion that you get what you want out of an educational opportunity

wrong. you get what you pay for. that's everything in life.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Its not what you know, its who you know.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:18 pm

point/center wrote:
Tiger Pride wrote:http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/03/16/news/update/doc45fb21513ad09614593696.txt

wrong. you get what you pay for. that's everything in life.
wrong. I paid an arm and two legs for my education and everything I know about my job I have learned since I started.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Return to gaming, movies, tv, local stories