Softball

Re: Softball

Postby Baller » Wed May 06, 2009 1:51 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
Flip wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:FSH is playing in the EGF Sacred Heart Tournement this Saturday. They need the playing time. They have had not games since playing WF a week ago. I will be a big test of their pitching. They need to have more than one varsity pitcher.

Who else was in the tournament? Seems weird South, one of the biggest schools in ND, would go to a tournament at Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart has an enrollement of 109. They went to state last year and brought back their pitcher. According to the high school league site they only have one loss.

FSH's team needs a lot of work and is playing with three eight graders and one ninth grader on their varsity. They only have one good pitcher who is a sophmore. The other pitchers are an 8th and 9th graders. They have great potential but they need a tournement like this to get playing time in for younger players etc. Their young pitching got pounded in EGF.They lost to Minot in game one 14-4 and their second game to Crookston 18-4. They did not get a third game. At least the sun was shining and there was no snow on the ground.

Where did Brianna Warne move to? Without her south went down hill fast.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Wed May 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Baller wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
Flip wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:FSH is playing in the EGF Sacred Heart Tournement this Saturday. They need the playing time. They have had not games since playing WF a week ago. I will be a big test of their pitching. They need to have more than one varsity pitcher.

Who else was in the tournament? Seems weird South, one of the biggest schools in ND, would go to a tournament at Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart has an enrollement of 109. They went to state last year and brought back their pitcher. According to the high school league site they only have one loss.

FSH's team needs a lot of work and is playing with three eight graders and one ninth grader on their varsity. They only have one good pitcher who is a sophmore. The other pitchers are an 8th and 9th graders. They have great potential but they need a tournement like this to get playing time in for younger players etc. Their young pitching got pounded in EGF.They lost to Minot in game one 14-4 and their second game to Crookston 18-4. They did not get a third game. At least the sun was shining and there was no snow on the ground.

Where did Brianna Warne move to? Without her south went down hill fast.

I heard a rumor that it was pelican rapids or somewhere near there!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ProudPirate » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:14 pm

If someone were to want to start a 'club' team to see if there is interest where would you begin? What about the future of slowpitch? Will we be going to fastpitch in the future? Seems to me it is the only logical way to go, but I know it is going to be an uphill battle in small-town ND. Seems we have the attitude of "marginal girl athletes can't play fastpitch and we will loose summer rec if we go fastpitch". I disagree with this statement but over the weekend that is the coversations I heard. I know some of these girls could go on to play college if they could only be given the chance. I get tired of hearing that there's no-way my daughter could play fastpitch. How do you know, have they ever tried? Plenty of boys play baseball, what's the difference?
The other argument I have run into, specifically by the school is that since we are struggling to field a track team, if we start fastpitch that will kill track. Any thoughts on this? Can they participate in both??
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:18 pm

ProudPirate wrote:If someone were to want to start a 'club' team to see if there is interest where would you begin? What about the future of slowpitch? Will we be going to fastpitch in the future? Seems to me it is the only logical way to go, but I know it is going to be an uphill battle in small-town ND. Seems we have the attitude of "marginal girl athletes can't play fastpitch and we will loose summer rec if we go fastpitch". I disagree with this statement but over the weekend that is the coversations I heard. I know some of these girls could go on to play college if they could only be given the chance. I get tired of hearing that there's no-way my daughter could play fastpitch. How do you know, have they ever tried? Plenty of boys play baseball, what's the difference?
The other argument I have run into, specifically by the school is that since we are struggling to field a track team, if we start fastpitch that will kill track. Any thoughts on this? Can they participate in both??

Central Cass went fastpitch for the first time this year. There were a few who "dual-sported" and did both track and softball or golf and softball. But I think the biggest impact for a competing spring sport is JO volleyball, which of course is not even a school sport, but a favorite among the girls. Some tried to do softball, track and JO volleyball, which in my opinion, is way too much.

My kids all play fastpitch softball and I can't imagine going back to slowpitch. It is not nearly as entertaining and seems to be something that us old adults should be playing, not the kids. Our summer teams all went fastpitch as well and are in the league in Fargo, which includes mostly the big city schools, but also Hawley, Kindred (12U only) and Enderlin. Did some girls quit because they didn't think they could compete in fastpitch? Sure, but we still had plenty of girls who were willing to try. Several of our teams compete very well in the Fargo league... the state tournament is another story since the big schools "stack" one team and send them to state. It would be nice if the smaller towns in ND would start up some fastpitch teams so we have someone to compete against other than the West Fargo's and Bismarck's of the world. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're willing to drive to Fargo for games, the Fargo league (Pat Johnson - WF varsity coach is in charge of it) would be happy to include you.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls softball