General Softball Discussion

General Softball Discussion

Postby Flip » Tue May 09, 2023 10:14 am

Are any potential new teams coming up in 2024? I don't think any schools in the old region 3 (basketball) south of 94 have a team. There are very few baseball teams in that area too. In the SE part of the state, I'm unsure if there could be any new teams unless some teams had enough kids to break out of some of the mega-coops you see. In the NE the only new teams I could maybe see is if Hatton-Northwood starts one of their own. They're currently with MPCG. Park River is in the same situation but with Grafton. Shoot if Midway-Minto starts a team, there is no reason some of these bigger schools can't start too. I have no clue about out west.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: General Softball Discussion

Postby Flip » Tue May 09, 2023 10:18 am

I think they should adopt the state qualifying games like we're going to see in the new 3 class basketball system. That SE region is always the best region. Give the good regions a chance to get 3 teams to the state tournament.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsmom5 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:38 am

I disagree with this statement. The SE has a few good teams but so does other regions. Beulah has a great shot at winning state. Velva, Renville County are having great seasons. Bottineau and DLB will do well. So I don’t think changing the way it is will make much difference in who goes to state. I don’t think the SE will be the best region for long, if they are even now.
Sportsmom5
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Tue May 09, 2023 10:51 am

Sportsmom5 wrote:I disagree with this statement. The SE has a few good teams but so does other regions. Beulah has a great shot at winning state. Velva, Renville County are having great seasons. Bottineau and DLB will do well. So I don’t think changing the way it is will make much difference in who goes to state. I don’t think the SE will be the best region for long, if they are even now.

Even if they're not the best region next year you're still going to see better teams at state if you change the format. I see nothing wrong with rewarding a strong 3rd place team over a mediocre 2nd place team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue May 09, 2023 10:55 am

Top teams from each region
R1: Central Cass & Kindred-Richland
R2: MPCG, Grafton & Thompson (someone will be left out)
R3: Renville County & Des Lacs-Burlington
R4: Beulah & Velva/Drake-Anamoose

I think the R3 & R4 teams will surprise the average follower. There really isn't a mediocre 2nd team in any region right now
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue May 09, 2023 6:13 pm

HCV has given Kindred two good games. Losing 1-0 and winning today 6-3.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dakotastater » Tue May 23, 2023 5:46 pm

Will be a new champ in class B. First time every Central Cass didn't make the state tournament. HCV wins 5-3 in region 1.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue May 23, 2023 8:38 pm

Dakotastater wrote:Will be a new champ in class B. First time every Central Cass didn't make the state tournament. HCV wins 5-3 in region 1.

Question about the game. In the 7th inning, the CC made his 2nd visit to the circle. It appeared he didn't know he had to take his pitcher out. Does anyone know for sure? It seems crazy to think he wouldn't know of the rule. Maybe he just forgot it was his 2nd visit.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Attack the Process » Wed May 24, 2023 7:58 am

Flip wrote:
Dakotastater wrote:Will be a new champ in class B. First time every Central Cass didn't make the state tournament. HCV wins 5-3 in region 1.

Question about the game. In the 7th inning, the CC made his 2nd visit to the circle. It appeared he didn't know he had to take his pitcher out. Does anyone know for sure? It seems crazy to think he wouldn't know of the rule. Maybe he just forgot it was his 2nd visit.

In the NFHS Rule Book, it states a team can have three charged conferences without penalty. Also in one inning, if there are two conferences, the pitcher must be replaced.
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed May 24, 2023 9:05 am

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It was the second visit of the inning.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 24, 2023 9:06 am

Flip wrote:I think they should adopt the state qualifying games like we're going to see in the new 3 class basketball system. That SE region is always the best region. Give the good regions a chance to get 3 teams to the state tournament.

In the east it would be Thompson vs CC and PCN vs HCV.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 24, 2023 8:31 pm

prediction on seeds?
1 - Beulah
2 - Renville County
3 - DLB
4 - HCV
5 - MPCG

Gets tricky after 2 IMO.
DLB only has two losses, but they got pounded by my top two teams.

edit: I did this without looking at the polls. I guess DLB doesn't get much respect. And I forgot Kindred! They'll be higher than HCV and MPCG. Just insert Kindred to #3.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Wed May 24, 2023 9:47 pm

1. Beulah
2. Renville County
3. Kindred-Richland
4. Des Lacs-Burlington
5. Hillsboro-Central Valley

Random Seeds
May-Port-CG/Hatton-Northwood
Thompson
Central McLean

MPCG/H-N & Thompson could easily be the #5 as well...Beulah & Renville County are the top two but Softball has been an eastern sport for Class B; DLB/L&C is only WEST team to make it to Title (2018) since softball was sanctioned in 2012.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Thu May 25, 2023 10:07 am

OFFICIAL SEEDING
#2 Renville County vs. Thompson
#3 Kindred-Richland vs. Central McLean
#1 Beulah vs. Des Lacs-Burlington
#4 Hillsboro-Central Valley vs. #5 May-Port-CG/Hatton-Northwood

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu May 25, 2023 10:26 am

1 Beulah
2 RC
3 Kindred
4 MPCG
5 Thompson
6 HCV
7 DLB
8 CM
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:51 pm

Flip wrote:1 Beulah
2 RC
3 Kindred
4 MPCG
5 Thompson
6 HCV
7 DLB
8 CM

My bracket blew up in one game. Thompson was more fundamental, put the ball in play, and made RC play defense.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm

Thompson/Kindred game the umps botched a call from my understanding. Thompson had a runner at 1st. Batter bunts. She beats the throw at first, but the 1st base umpire called her out for not running in the lane given to her foul territory. I thought that was the correct call. On the play, the runner from first makes it to third. She should have to go back to 1st base on that play. Next batter hits a fly ball to left and the runner scores from third on a sacrifice fly.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls softball