Cross Country--10 Times Harder than Football

Re: Cross Country--10 Times Harder than Football

Postby BHSrunner » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Stallng wrote:
BHSrunner wrote:
Rupp2012 wrote:oook BHSRunner apparently you don't know the "anguish" of football. Anyone can run 5K but not anyone can take the heat or physical pain every play like football. I have respect for cross country but football is easily harder

You have no idea how bad you can feel after a race. I'll leave it at that.

Would temporarilly losing mobility in your limbs, and your vision going white seem like anguish?

football is everything

I don't even know what you are saying...
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:56 am

BHSrunner wrote:
Stallng wrote:
BHSrunner wrote:
Rupp2012 wrote:oook BHSRunner apparently you don't know the "anguish" of football. Anyone can run 5K but not anyone can take the heat or physical pain every play like football. I have respect for cross country but football is easily harder

Would temporarilly losing mobility in your limbs, and your vision going white seem like anguish?

football is everything

I don't even know what you are saying...

He's trying to prove how ignorant he is.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:28 am

BHSrunner wrote:

so you get hystarical blindness from running? i dont understand that since that mostly comes after a very dramatic event...must take losing harder then most people?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BHSrunner » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:39 am

baseball wrote:
BHSrunner wrote:

so you get hystarical blindness from running? i dont understand that since that mostly comes after a very dramatic event...must take losing harder then most people?

:lol: :lol: That was good. No, I didn't see a baby get hit by a truck after the race. I was extremely low on sugar, and I was stumbling around and then fell and couldn't see anything.

Plus people pass out after races all the time.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:20 pm

BHSrunner wrote:
baseball wrote:
BHSrunner wrote:

:lol: :lol: That was good. No, I didn't see a baby get hit by a truck after the race. I was extremely low on sugar, and I was stumbling around and then fell and couldn't see anything.

I've seen people collapse after running just a mile...I can't imagine how difficult it would be to do cross country.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BHSrunner » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:34 pm

balla45 wrote:
BHSrunner wrote:
baseball wrote:
BHSrunner wrote:

I've seen people collapse after running just a mile...I can't imagine how difficult it would be to do cross country.

Most sports are as hard as you can want to make it. I could go out and loaf through a two-mile, just like a basketball player can not play his hardest or not get stronger in the weight room.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:38 pm

BHSrunner wrote:
baseball wrote:
BHSrunner wrote:

haha just checking...thought maybe u were just THAT competetive haha
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BigNorsk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am

Well the real answer to this is another sport-Rugby. Now I know it's not big in North Dakota, but I played a fair amount in college. It is like playing football while running cross country. Two 40 minute halves with a 5 minute halftime. Substitution limited to 2 for injury only. I don't feel good is not an injury.

It wasn't hard to do 6 to 8 miles during a game (worldclass would double that), while tackling, pushing, and jumping just to add some diversity.

Would you pass out from overexertion and such? Only if you're stupid, or you tried to tackle Mafi or Mongo by yourself. Can't help your team much in that condition. You have to maintain enough reserve so if you need to sprint 50 yards, you can. No time out for that, you do it while playing.

Cross country you can certainly put yourself in a lot of pain. But it's single dimensional. Just get to that finish line as fast as you can. So the vision is fading at the edges and things are getting a bit fuzzy. Who cares? It's not like you actually have to think much. Brain is somewhat optional, though it's nice to keep the heart beating. Football when you are in pain you have to recognize that the quarterback is faking and going to throw a screen pass and you better hussel over there and break it up before it gets going. It's not just run, it's run and think.

As such, I would give the edge to football.
BigNorsk
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:43 am

BigNorsk wrote:Well the real answer to this is another sport-Rugby. Now I know it's not big in North Dakota, but I played a fair amount in college. It is like playing football while running cross country. Two 40 minute halves with a 5 minute halftime. Substitution limited to 2 for injury only. I don't feel good is not an injury.

It wasn't hard to do 6 to 8 miles during a game (worldclass would double that), while tackling, pushing, and jumping just to add some diversity.

Would you pass out from overexertion and such? Only if you're stupid, or you tried to tackle Mafi or Mongo by yourself. Can't help your team much in that condition. You have to maintain enough reserve so if you need to sprint 50 yards, you can. No time out for that, you do it while playing.

Cross country you can certainly put yourself in a lot of pain. But it's single dimensional. Just get to that finish line as fast as you can. So the vision is fading at the edges and things are getting a bit fuzzy. Who cares? It's not like you actually have to think much. Brain is somewhat optional, though it's nice to keep the heart beating. Football when you are in pain you have to recognize that the quarterback is faking and going to throw a screen pass and you better hussel over there and break it up before it gets going. It's not just run, it's run and think.

I disagree. Sometimes at the finish, people can be in groups of four of five people that they have been with the whole race. The finish then begins a mind game about who is going to bust it first. Usually one of the back runners will try to get ahead of the group first.
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Browner » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:55 am

BigNorsk wrote:Well the real answer to this is another sport-Rugby. Now I know it's not big in North Dakota, but I played a fair amount in college. It is like playing football while running cross country. Two 40 minute halves with a 5 minute halftime. Substitution limited to 2 for injury only. I don't feel good is not an injury.

Gotta remember.....play defense.......sit and watch offense...........play defense.......drink water while your watching the offense...........play defense...........1st qtr over...........play defense.............watch offense............play defense............Halftime.............continue .

Cross country is also run and think............Cross Country you don't get to sub at all-regardless of injury.....Cross country you don't get 5 min.halftime....Cross Country you can't really "maintain reserve".............Hence...as I stated before both sports are equally hard.
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwarz"
Browner
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd_football_69 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:29 pm

whats the worst injury a xc runner could have? stress fracture or maybe some stitches when they trip over their shoe laces...
nd_football_69
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BHSrunner » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:25 pm

nd_football_69 wrote:whats the worst injury a xc runner could have? stress fracture or maybe some stitches when they trip over their shoe laces...

Tell me bro, what have you done in your football career?
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm sure it depends on your body composition. Linemen would find Cross Country a lot harder.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseballprep » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:05 am

oh my god this is clearly football... Cross Country you JOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOG!!! no sprints. Running sprints with pads on during 2 a days for 2 weeks in the 100 degree heat is terrible... And this is after all the hitting so football players are way more beat up and still go through it. Those professional cross country runners have it tough.. o wait? Cross Country is a waste of a sport and a waste of time. Don't even call it a sport. Any football player would love for one of the cross country kids to line up across from them so they could knock them out!!
baseballprep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:10 am

baseballprep wrote:oh my god this is clearly football... Cross Country you JOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOG!!! no sprints. Running sprints with pads on during 2 a days for 2 weeks in the 100 degree heat is terrible... And this is after all the hitting so football players are way more beat up and still go through it. Those professional cross country runners have it tough.. o wait? Cross Country is a waste of a sport and a waste of time. Don't even call it a sport. Any football player would love for one of the cross country kids to line up across from them so they could knock them out!!

I'd much rather line up against the bottom 80% of the football players in North Dakota than run againt the bottom 80% of runners in North Dakota.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BHSrunner » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:47 pm

baseballprep wrote:oh my god this is clearly football... Cross Country you JOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOG!!! no sprints. Running sprints with pads on during 2 a days for 2 weeks in the 100 degree heat is terrible... And this is after all the hitting so football players are way more beat up and still go through it. Those professional cross country runners have it tough.. o wait? Cross Country is a waste of a sport and a waste of time. Don't even call it a sport. Any football player would love for one of the cross country kids to line up across from them so they could knock them out!!

What have you done in football or baseball that makes you talk in such a condescending manner? Surely, you are playing D1 right?
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:30 pm

This is one of the most near-sighted, ignorant comments I have ever read in my life. It's people like you that give athletes an arrogant image and cocky attitude in the public eye. Next time you run three miles, do it in 17:00. If it is a jog and you are not breathing hard, you win, if not. Shut up.
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:55 pm

theman wrote:

This is one of the most near-sighted, ignorant comments I have ever read in my life. It's people like you that give athletes an arrogant image and cocky attitude in the public eye. Next time you run three miles, do it in 17:00. If it is a jog and you are not breathing hard, you win, if not. Shut up.

exactly and i would even say i bet you couldn't run 3 miles in 20 minutes.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby crosscountry » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 pm

No matter what football players will always say footballs harder than any sport
Aaannd boom goes the dynamite
crosscountry
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i am legend » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:56 pm

you have to be so mentally tough to run cross.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Personally, i am a big fan of the football players who say that they sprint 3 miles a day at practice with all their pads on. ya they may run 3 miles, but how much time do they get inbetween those sprints. in a cross country race, a good runner will be running around 5:30 minute miles (some even faster than that) for 3.1 miles. no breaks. no water. to me cross country is way more exhausting than football could ever be. but football is more physical than cross will ever be.

Football players think that just because they play in one of the most physical sports, that they are just some super jocks who can do absolutly anything. a football players ego is what makes him believe football is so much more tough than any other sport :!:

besides where is football going to take you in life. what are you going to after college ( if your good enough to play college). running is something you can do your entire life.
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby shooter. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:03 am

hoops4lyf40 wrote:Personally, i am a big fan of the football players who say that they sprint 3 miles a day at practice with all their pads on. ya they may run 3 miles, but how much time do they get inbetween those sprints. in a cross country race, a good runner will be running around 5:30 minute miles (some even faster than that) for 3.1 miles. no breaks. no water. to me cross country is way more exhausting than football could ever be. but football is more physical than cross will ever be.

Football players think that just because they play in one of the most physical sports, that they are just some super jocks who can do absolutly anything. a football players ego is what makes him believe football is so much more tough than any other sport :!:

besides where is football going to take you in life. what are you going to after college ( if your good enough to play college). running is something you can do your entire life.

I agree cross country is probably more exhausting during the race and for a short period of time after. Football may not be quite as exhausting while it is happening but football players are exhausted for the rest of the night and most of the next day. So I would say in the long run football is more exhausting.
shooter.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby B-roar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:56 am

inky wrote:Football is hard, running in 100 degree heat with a helmet on and shoulder pads with pants and pads is way harder than running with cut offs and what not

Okay fine but when it starts to rain a little bit- football= postponed how many XC meets do you hear of getting postponed because of the weather?
B-roar
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Hinsa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm

B-roar wrote:
inky wrote:Football is hard, running in 100 degree heat with a helmet on and shoulder pads with pants and pads is way harder than running with cut offs and what not

Okay fine but when it starts to rain a little bit- football= postponed how many XC meets do you hear of getting postponed because of the weather?

Not a football fan are you. Football games are NEVER postponed unless there is a blizzard and the team can't get there. You are thinking baseball.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Hinsa wrote:
B-roar wrote:

Not a football fan are you. Football games are NEVER postponed unless there is a blizzard and the team can't get there. You are thinking baseball.

The only time football gets postponed is for lightning or blizzards same as cross country. Both sports actually are fun to play in the rain, just not fun to watch in the rain.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Cross Country