Cross Country--10 Times Harder than Football

Cross Country--10 Times Harder than Football

Postby football_lives_on » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:41 pm

anyone can run 100 meters......its the next 4900 that count.
trademark to all of those cross country freaks of nature
football_lives_on
NDPreps Starter

Re: Cross Country--10 Times Harder than Football

Postby baseball » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:39 pm

yea...them 265 lb brick walls in middle of the field that can run 4.5 40s make it easier haha
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BHSrunner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Ok baseball.... those guys are in the nfl.

Anyways it's dumb to get into arguments about which sport is harder. Football players couldn't last a day in a (good) XC runner's shoes, and XC runners couldn't last a day in a (good) football player's shoes.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:54 pm

I believe cross country is the tougher mental sport because you have to pace and push yourself in a race, but football is the tougher physical sport just because its football and its played rough.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby BHSrunner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:58 pm

gobison#6 wrote:I believe cross country is the tougher mental sport because you have to pace and push yourself in a race, but football is the tougher physical sport just because its football and its played rough.

That's probably agreeable.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:06 pm

I think I would go the other way. I think it depends on the person. A person like me, 5' 10'' 214, is going to have a much easier time playing football physically, compared to running miles and miles, however, a 5' 10'' 115 person is going to have an easier time running miles and miles than running into the d-line over and over.

I think it just depends on the person.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:18 am

BHSrunner wrote:Ok baseball.... those guys are in the nfl.

Cross Country isnt only a high school sport in North Dakota.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BHSrunner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:24 am

baseball wrote:

I'm not sure what you are saying there, but if I played runningback in high school in North Dakota, there is a good chance I would be running into guys that weigh less than 200 and run a 5.0 forty.

Not the 265 lb. 4.5 forty variety that you speak of. Those are NFL players.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby football_lives_on » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 am

so the conclusion is that football players are no tougher than girls in volleyball...all the guys that cant handle the intense toughness of cross country play football....football players are just cross country jv scrubs
football_lives_on
NDPreps Starter

Postby inky » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 am

Football is hard, running in 100 degree heat with a helmet on and shoulder pads with pants and pads is way harder than running with cut offs and what not
Favrein to Harvin!
inky
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:28 pm

I know that a lot of football players could not go out and run more than 3 miles in a shot, but also a lot of cross country runners would get killed playing football. There is really no way to say which one is tougher. It all depends on size of the person, their physical strength, and mental strength.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:17 pm

BHSrunner wrote:
baseball wrote:

I'm not sure what you are saying there, but if I played runningback in high school in North Dakota, there is a good chance I would be running into guys that weigh less than 200 and run a 5.0 forty.

Not the 265 lb. 4.5 forty variety that you speak of. Those are NFL players.

I'm saying Cross Country is also a sport on the college level at schools like Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, USC, etc...where them players do exist.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Browner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:55 am

This is a good subject depending upon who the person is. I know people that went out for both sports at the same time-90% of the the time they end up staying with cross-country and quitting football because they say xc is easier. Not in a sense of the phyical part but because football you havae to be there everyday and know the plays and have the team work together so they know their strengths and weaknesses. You can miss a xc practice and run on your own and still be successful, but you can't miss football practice and still be succesfull.
Although if things aren't going right in cross country, you can't stop get a drink of water, tie your shoe, talk with your teammates, talk with your coach, take a time out-get a little rest and start running again.....Football you can take a time out and make those adjustments.

At the same time.. a 6'4" 250 lb football player cannot run the distance of a race in cross country without everyone going home because the meet is over. It will take him to long. BUT you take that same football player put him on the goal line...give our top xc runners in the state a football and tell him to run into the endzone with that football player trying to stop him---a majority of the xc runners would rather run 10 hill repeats because that player will kill him!
Both sports are equally tough........Although football gets more of the attention and hoopla :D
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwarz"
Browner
NDPreps Starter

Postby BHSrunner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeah... this is just an insanely dumb argument. I've been running since the eight grade, which naturally stunted my growth and made it so that it is detrimental to carry muscle mass. If from the eight grade moving forward, if I only played football and lifted, I could have 200-210 pounds on my 5' 10" frame, instead of 140. Then I wouldn't be small, and I have the natural athleticism to be able to compete most likely.

Also whoever was talking about the helmets and pads vs. cut-offs thing... don't even go there. I have done the "running" portion of the football conditioning, and it is not hard. We run in shorts because it is less weight and obviously cooler so when we get done with our 200 minute run we aren't unconscious.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby opinionated » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 pm

just because you run cross country does not mean you would not be good at football it just means that you would like to have all your faculties working when your in your 30's
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:06 pm

BHSrunner wrote:Yeah... this is just an insanely dumb argument. I've been running since the eight grade, which naturally stunted my growth and made it so that it is detrimental to carry muscle mass. If from the eight grade moving forward, if I only played football and lifted, I could have 200-210 pounds on my 5' 10" frame, instead of 140. Then I wouldn't be small, and I have the natural athleticism to be able to compete most likely.

Also whoever was talking about the helmets and pads vs. cut-offs thing... don't even go there. I have done the "running" portion of the football conditioning, and it is not hard. We run in shorts because it is less weight and obviously cooler so when we get done with our 200 minute run we aren't unconscious.

Are you trying to say that cross country is easier or harder than football?

You stated that, had you trained for it, you could have been good at football. Is the inverse not also true?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BHSrunner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:52 am

balla45 wrote:
BHSrunner wrote:Yeah... this is just an insanely dumb argument. I've been running since the eight grade, which naturally stunted my growth and made it so that it is detrimental to carry muscle mass. If from the eight grade moving forward, if I only played football and lifted, I could have 200-210 pounds on my 5' 10" frame, instead of 140. Then I wouldn't be small, and I have the natural athleticism to be able to compete most likely.

Are you trying to say that cross country is easier or harder than football?

You stated that, had you trained for it, you could have been good at football. Is the inverse not also true?

I'm in cross country at a division 1 school. I've felt the most horrible anguish you can feel because of running. Of course I think it is harder. But what I'm saying is, I think it is dumb to argue over because nobody has been a varsity cross country runner AND a varsity football player( I realize varsity doesn't mean a whole lot given the lack of talent that the state has) to know which one is tougher.

If a person trained from the time they were in the eight grade and made the commitment to stay skinny and run hard they could become good runner. I won't say very good or great because obviously it requires that you must have something special. Likewise, I could probably become a "good" football player, but you have to have a special mentality and seemingly innate knowledge of the game to be very good or great.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby BHSrunner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:55 am

football_lives_on wrote:so the conclusion is that football players are no tougher than girls in volleyball...all the guys that cant handle the intense toughness of cross country play football....football players are just cross country jv scrubs

So did you just create this thread to bash cross country or what?

Let's see "football_lives_on", what have you accomplished in your sport that allows you to be so condescending?
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thirty » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Marcus Fearing was in Tennis, Football, and XC in middle school, and he was a stand out at all of them. He ended up choosing football, but I dont think its because it's easier but because he thinks it's more fun.

I play football, but I think that XC is a harder sport if you really try at it, cause i'm sure I could go and run a 5k and think nothing of it, but I also think that I could go out and run a 5k as best as I possibly could and by the end of the race, I would probably prefer to just keel over dead than deal with the pain in my body. In football, you can't really reach that level of exhaustion, cause you wouldn't play as effectively if you did. You get to take breaks, and you kind of have to take breaks.
Thirty
NDPreps Starter

Postby BHSrunner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Thirty wrote:Marcus Fearing was in Tennis, Football, and XC in middle school, and he was a stand out at all of them. He ended up choosing football, but I dont think its because it's easier but because he thinks it's more fun.

I play football, but I think that XC is a harder sport if you really try at it, cause i'm sure I could go and run a 5k and think nothing of it, but I also think that I could go out and run a 5k as best as I possibly could and by the end of the race, I would probably prefer to just keel over dead than deal with the pain in my body. In football, you can't really reach that level of exhaustion, cause you wouldn't play as effectively if you did. You get to take breaks, and you kind of have to take breaks.

But you are also talking about constant lifting, usually pretty long practices I think?

Also, somebody is going to hit you almost every play.

And you can be maimed for life on any given play.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby football_lives_on » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:13 pm

[list=]
BHSrunner wrote:
football_lives_on wrote:so the conclusion is that football players are no tougher than girls in volleyball...all the guys that cant handle the intense toughness of cross country play football....football players are just cross country jv scrubs

So did you just create this thread to bash cross country or what?

Let's see "football_lives_on", what have you accomplished in your sport that allows you to be so condescending?
[/list]

absolutely nothing....im a complete loser
football_lives_on
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rupp2012 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:49 pm

oook BHSRunner apparently you don't know the "anguish" of football. Anyone can run 5K but not anyone can take the heat or physical pain every play like football. I have respect for cross country but football is easily harder
Demon XC. Tradition.
Rupp2012
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BHSrunner » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:53 pm

Rupp2012 wrote:oook BHSRunner apparently you don't know the "anguish" of football. Anyone can run 5K but not anyone can take the heat or physical pain every play like football. I have respect for cross country but football is easily harder

You have no idea how bad you can feel after a race. I'll leave it at that.

Would temporarilly losing mobility in your limbs, and your vision going white seem like anguish?
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby BHSrunner » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Rupp2012 wrote:oook BHSRunner apparently you don't know the "anguish" of football. Anyone can run 5K but not anyone can take the heat or physical pain every play like football. I have respect for cross country but football is easily harder

LOL I know who this is. Get out of here. Nice name, even though Ritz will handle him at the trials.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stallng » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:07 pm

BHSrunner wrote:

You have no idea how bad you can feel after a race. I'll leave it at that.

Would temporarilly losing mobility in your limbs, and your vision going white seem like anguish?

football is everything
Stallng
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Cross Country