2009 Girls Soccer Coach of the Year

Postby John Cena » Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 pm

Coach of the Year: Sarah McNulty.
IF YOU SMELL WHAT THE KING IS COOKIN'
John Cena
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2009 Girls Soccer Coach of the Year

Postby TheYessMan » Fri May 01, 2009 6:57 pm

John Cena wrote:Coach of the Year: Sarah McNulty.

agreeed yo
TheYessMan
TheYessMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby dowork » Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Im gonna have to agree. as well Sara coaches with class, but still holds a firm grip on her team, as well as the hearts of the fans...
Oh baby i like it raw
dowork
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Nodak FC » Wed May 06, 2009 1:30 pm

I think Shea Durham of Jamestown should be Coach of the Year. He has coached the boys to back to back state tournaments after not being at one for close to 10 years. He has also made the girls team one of the best in the west in the last couple of years if not in the state.
Nodak FC

Postby John Cena » Thu May 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Nodak FC wrote:I think Shea Durham of Jamestown should be Coach of the Year. He has coached the boys to back to back state tournaments after not being at one for close to 10 years. He has also made the girls team one of the best in the west in the last couple of years if not in the state.

Jamestown has had an unimpressive year, which could reflect on the coach's capacity to adequetly coach. I believe Durham won't be a even remote consideration for Coach of the Year. McNulty has what it takes, shows what it takes, and does what it takes to be Coach of the Year. I like her style. McNulty will take the award to home to Century, where it belongs.
John Cena
NDPreps Starter

Postby bin128 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Mr. Cena, Perhaps your comments about Shea Durham, and proclamation of Ms. McNulty as the shoe-in for Coach of the Year were premature? At least it would appear to anyone who watched the JHS vs. Century game on 5/12, where Jamestown was clearly the better team. Perhaps Jamestown may make it interesting yet.

Both are fine coaches, and, depending upon the final outcome in state, could be equally deserving of such an honor.
bin128
NDPreps Reserve

Postby John Cena » Thu May 14, 2009 12:19 pm

bin128 wrote:Mr. Cena, Perhaps your comments about Shea Durham, and proclamation of Ms. McNulty as the shoe-in for Coach of the Year were premature? At least it would appear to anyone who watched the JHS vs. Century game on 5/12, where Jamestown was clearly the better team. Perhaps Jamestown may make it interesting yet.

Both are fine coaches, and, depending upon the final outcome in state, could be equally deserving of such an honor.

In the previous CHS and JHS game, Century controlled the game. The had many more oppurtunites to score, but didnt properly finish. On comparing both coaches, McNulty handles the dissapointments, the wins, and the unfair calls much better. Also, she has great strategy.
John Cena
NDPreps Starter

Postby rrsoccer9 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:39 am

John,
Let's get a few things straight. First off, now we know how everything ended up and with all things considered, the coach of the year will most likely be St. Mary's.
Second, the first CHS/JHS game was on the turf, it was the second game for Century and first for Jamestown, and Jamestown did not have their starting GK and had to move arguably the best OM in Brooke Winson to goal. Subsequently, you are correct, CHS won handidly. With both teams at full strength and on grass, JHS was clearly... CLEARLY the better team when they played the second time around.
I don't know if you know Shea that well and to criticize his handling of dissapointments, wins, and unfair calls... is probably, well, unfair.
First off, I don't know what kind of dissapointments Sarah has had at Century. They clearly overachieved this year, which makes her a good coach, but really... dissapointments? She took over the best situation possible and really hasn't had any dissapointments so far. Shea has to coach in a town where support is low, numbers are improving, but low, and talent is diminished. Still, he finds a way to be upbeat.
If you want to understand strategy, understand how the Jamestown boys have made it to State the last two years. That is strategy. Beating the #2 seed St. Mary's two years ago was due to coaching. You can ask anyone from either team and they would say that St. Mary's was outcoached... Minot would do the same of this year. Shea strategizes for those games. No matter what they do with the west region tournament, Shea will always find a way to come out of those tournaments.
If we look at the way Jamestown wins and the way Century wins, take a look at the last couple of years... how many come from behind victories does Jamestown have and how many does Century have? In game adjustments and half time adjustments are a lost art in coaching. Seems to me, Shea has done much better in this regard.
I think both deserve recognition as probably the best two coaches in west for girls soccer. They both play a great style of soccer and when they play, it is probably the best game to watch in the west every year. Minot and St. Mary's play and ugly, direct style of soccer that can become quite boring. Mandan doesn't have the talent to play pretty and Bismarck will get there in time now that Mel is gone.
Mr. Cena,
At this point, it really doesn't matter who gets coach of the year, but I think you should learn to keep your comments to yourself until everything has played out especially when you should have clearly seen that Century was overachieving at the beginning of the year with the talent they have. I will reserve comment about the state tournament for that reason, but I think we are in for an upset weekend.
rrsoccer9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDVBBB » Fri May 29, 2009 11:49 pm

After Jamestown's win over Fargo N (East #1 seed) and then following that with another win over Century (West #2, and long time WDA leader) at the State tournament, I think that Shea Durham of Jamestown should receive the award. :!:
NDVBBB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:55 am

What Shea has done with the boys and girls teams at Jamestown is pretty remarkable, and I would have no qualms if he had gotten it.

I also appreciate what Coach McNulty has done at CHS. She is a good coach.

Not that any of the discussion matters anymore. North's coach got it.

I think there are very few coaches every year that don't deserve the award. Every coach has their positives and negatives and I think it's important to remember that it's high school soccer.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:43 am

Michael Brekker has three state championships in three seasons. Two with souths girls and one with Shanleys boys.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Baller wrote:Michael Brekker has three state championships in three seasons. Two with souths girls and one with Shanleys boys.

Correct. He is too easy of a pick. He will win it soon though.

Technically, if there was an undisputed coach of the year you kind of have to give the nod to Brekker.

Never before has a coach been the reigning champ in both girls and boys with two different schools. It's really a pretty big achievement.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Return to Soccer