Sand Greens teams making state

Sand Greens teams making state

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:55 am

I come from the old days when the NDHSAA still sponsored a state sand greens tournament. I know they discontinued that in 1995 and a lot of the towns/schools that had sand greens courses have now upgraded to grass or artificial greens. Have there been any true sand greens teams (towns that practice on a sand green course daily) make it to the state tournament since then?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Sand Greens teams making state

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:25 am

I believe New England is the only course that still is sand, due to laws about the old sand greens and oil. So I don't believe there are any in existence.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:55 pm

Leeds, Maddock, Drake, Berthold, Portal, and Finley also all still have sand. I know Hope, Mott, Elgin, and Lakota have converted over to grass or artificial since that time.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby shooter01 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:12 pm

Bowbells still has sand greens
shooter01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cycleminnesota » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:09 pm

I will be playing all the 133 North Dakota golf courses in 2011. While searching for information I noticed these postings at NorthDakotaPreps.com. In researching the question of which golf courses still have sand greens, I've found 16 sand green courses and three with artificial greens. These numbers could change when I actually golf all the courses in the state and I therefore will followup with corrected data. According to my research as of January, 2010, the 14 sand green nine hole golf courses are: Arnegard, Berthold, Bowbells, Columbus, Drake, Grenora, LaMoure, Leeds, Maddock, New England, Portal (of which 8 holes are in Canada, so bring your passport or passcard), Powers Lake, Sharon-Finley, and Wildrose. The five nine hole golf courses that have artificial greens are Lansford, Riverdale, Scranton and Towner (artificial) and Sherwood (imitation). As I proceed in my goal, It will be interesting to see what other golf courses have to offer ... and if I can adapt to sand and artifical golf greens. Also, I'll be publishing a book of my golf experiences, course description, photo(s), history, etc., and add in local flavor and attractions. Fore! Roger Wilson.
Last edited by cycleminnesota on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cycleminnesota
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 pm

LaMoure has a nice grass green course about 10 miles north of town. Towner and Lansford have artificial greens.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HailMary » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Here is a cool old article from the 30's from a Texas guy who talked about building the classic sand greens. Its really not the worst idea if you want to build a hole on your property or something. I thought this was pretty cool. Can't say I'm going to try it, but hey anything is possible.

http://turf.lib.msu.edu/family leisure/1930s/1931/3107145.pdf
"Midget Pride Baby"
My Favorite Football Blog:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner
HailMary
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Josh Keys » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks for sharing that article. I also have found another one related to the topic here
Josh Keys
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Golf