cheating

cheating

Postby golfer32 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:08 pm

any comments on some of the cheating going on? lying on score cards and not taking strokes? better playes not getting paired with the same calibur players and getting qualified? and more? it is going on....
golfer32
NDPreps Rookie

Re: cheating

Postby underdog » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:44 am

Lying about you're strokes is going on all the time and it's a crying shame!! I followed my son around a tournament this spring and knew a kid in his group was cheating as I was counting his strokes. He did it three holes in a row. Although parents are not suppose to talk to the kids I told my son to watch him and sure enough he did it again on the next hole. After he holed out he said "bogey" The other kids in the group said, "did'nt you get a six". He started counting back and said "Oh, I guess you're right". If nobody would have said something, he would have did it the whole day. The only way to stop this is to keep track of the kids in you're group and call them on it. Otherwise it is going to continue.

If you can sleep at night knowing you cheated, I guess there is no help for you.
underdog
NDPreps Starter

Postby golfer32 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:17 pm

i seen older kids , jr and seniors paired with younger kids and dont know if is a intimidation factor or what but the older 2 were doing just as u said giving them selves 1 to 2 stokes less then what they actually got. i wish the high school association would do something to keep the cheaters legit.
golfer32
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Pdubs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:40 pm

I played high school golf and I caught one person in my group cheating in every tournament I played in this past season. I would like to disagree with the last comment. It is the younger kids who are cheating. The older kids have more ettiquet and make sure they don't cheat.
Pdubs

Postby golfer32 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:43 pm

probly true , the last comment about the younger ones, but the older ones doing it so they can place, it all catchs up to them cuz when they finally get paired with real players and they will get called on it. it shows from tournament to tournament.
golfer32
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsgod25 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:11 pm

Sometimes it all depends upon of maturety
sportsgod25
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cody » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:53 pm

i am in high school golf and its very important to me and i am lucky i never have caught anyone cheating but now days u shoot a good score everyone thinks tht u cheated i got 28th in state this year and people thought i cheated which is a bunch of crap how can u cheat at state
cody
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:38 am

cody wrote:i am in high school golf and its very important to me and i am lucky i never have caught anyone cheating but now days u shoot a good score everyone thinks tht u cheated i got 28th in state this year and people thought i cheated which is a bunch of crap how can u cheat at state

Develop a reputation as someone who scores all his shots honestly and then never have to feel like you need to apologize for turning in a low score. Who cares what those who don't know you think?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:09 pm

asking kids now days to hold others accountable is pretty tough. We are still in the "me" generation and nobody confronts anybody because EVERYONE has rights and blah blah blah blah. I think the top golfers don't cheat(state champ from 07 said that) but the lower flights have problems. I've seen a lot of golfers out there that have a tough enough time keeping track of their own score more or less keeping track of another set of scores. Lower flights you see scores like 8 and 9, harder to know if it was an 8 or a 9 or a 10. Top golfers who all hit the ball 300 yards down the fairway pitch and then put can keep track a lot easier than someone who tops it off the tee, whiffs, twice, hits it into the trees, take two to get out, or was it three, then three puts after chili dipping his chip.

Don't think you can keep track unless you have a couple people walking around with these groups keeping track of scores.

My brother in law still can't keep track of his score and he's 36 years old :roll:
bigpoppakdog

Postby Jwall512 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:21 pm

Ya i agree and in the lower flights it doesnt metter too much but in the upper flights some people try to get away with cheating and those people generally confronted cause they know what is at stake and your right it is alot easier to count when people only have to hit one drive and then chip and putt

you can tell at regional tournament time who cheats and who doesnt cause some kids consistantly shoot in the 80's and then come regionals whn there are coaches following you and they are in the 100's something doesnt add up
Jwall512
NDPreps Starter

Postby J.D. » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:53 pm

I have been a part of regional tournaments like that, and before coaches went with groups it seemed like it happened the other way around. On the day where +7 or better was needed, golfers who regularly shot way upper 80's and usually in the 90's would come in with +6 or +7 to make it to state, and then at state they would shoot upper again. That seemed questionable to me.

I also have played college golf at a Junior College and at the regional tournament i golfed with a guy that missed a putt from about a foot and a half, and after he missed it he asked me if i was going to make him count it. I made him count it, but at first i was shocked that at that level he actually asked me that, and his score was like 79 or 80.
J.D.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby FN4GODEEP » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Cheating happens all the time especially with underclassmen. The only way to fix it is to have the other players care enough to call them on it.
FN4GODEEP
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Golf