J. O. Volleyball

J. O. Volleyball

Postby shelly k » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Is the Junior Olympic program worth it or just a bunch of hype? CHS was stacked with JO participants and they crashed and burned. Thus my query.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Re: J. O. Volleyball

Postby Bball fan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Don't think losing to Langdon - who won State would be considered crashing and burning. Making it to state is not a sure bet - just look at Langdon in 09.
The coaches that run and teach JO are extremely competitive and highly qualified and if your student is able to participate send them--you won't be sorry. The competition they play will make them a better player.
Bball fan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby a-simple-fan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 am

Bball fan wrote:Don't think losing to Langdon - who won State would be considered crashing and burning. Making it to state is not a sure bet - just look at Langdon in 09.
The coaches that run and teach JO are extremely competitive and highly qualified and if your student is able to participate send them--you won't be sorry. The competition they play will make them a better player.

Althought JO volleyball is beneficial I believe participating in other sports/activities makes you a better athlete. The girls from Langdon do not play JO volleyball but do attend summer camps and open gyms during the summer. Most of the girls play basketball and run track and are successful with those activities also. The work they do in basketball and track helps them be successful in volleyball just as volleyball helps them be successful in basketball and track. Specializing in a sport should be done in college. The goal in high school is to develop all skills! Specializing does not support that.
a-simple-fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:35 pm

I think its a great program if you are working with coordinators and coaches who are interested in developing competitive young players, and not just winning tournaments. If you develop the right players, then the winning will come. That's the case with any traveling team. I don't know what's going on with CHS, but I think BHS is on the right track.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 1205 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm

shelly k wrote:Is the Junior Olympic program worth it or just a bunch of hype?

JO Volleyball certainly is worth it although some programs are stronger than others. Like any activity, players will get out of JOs exactly what they put into it. Players that work hard and listen to coaches will benefit from the experience while those that don't work hard and ignore their coaches won't see their skills improve.
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Volleyball