Regional Tournament Locations

Regional Tournament Locations

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 am

How are the locations for regionals determined? I just want to note the Region 1 numbers. This is a tournament where most likely 3 (possibly all 4) District 2 teams will win the first-round games. This is how far District 2 teams will have to travel ONE WAY for THREE days during the school week. Seems a bit crazy to me.

District 2 teams:
NC School to Oakes: 121 miles
Fargo to Oakes: 120 miles
Casselton to Oakes: 98 miles
Kindred to Oakes: 87 miles

District 1 teams:
Hankinson to Oakes: 62 miles
Gwinner to Oakes: 26 miles
Milnor to Oakes: 39 miles
Oakes: 0 miles

Volleyball is becoming a more popular sport. Why do we insist on having schools continue to host these tournaments? What is wrong with the Fargo Civic Center or Valley City or Wahpeton? Oak Grove hosted the Region 1 tourney last year and it was WAY TOO SMALL. What needs to happen to make a change here? We do it for basketball, why not volleyball?
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Regional Tournament Locations

Postby wolves65 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 am

It has never really been that big an issue until Oak Grove had it last year. Lisbon works OK and what do you suppose the Oakes people say when they have to come to N Cass. You are never going to have a location that makes everyone happy so make the best of it. IMO it should never be in Oak Grove because of parking and size of the gym.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm

wolves65 wrote:It has never really been that big an issue until Oak Grove had it last year. Lisbon works OK and what do you suppose the Oakes people say when they have to come to N Cass. You are never going to have a location that makes everyone happy so make the best of it. IMO it should never be in Oak Grove because of parking and size of the gym.

That's part of my point. Is Oakes going to be big enough? I've never been in the gym. Although, because of the distance, many fans will not make the trip anyway. Another downfall...
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vb4life » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:59 pm

It is put out on bids by the school. If you want it in your school talk to your athletic director, principal, super. They are the ones that fight for it.
vb4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:36 pm

vb4life wrote:It is put out on bids by the school. If you want it in your school talk to your athletic director, principal, super. They are the ones that fight for it.

And I assume it rotates between districts? Any talk of holding it in a neutral location like they do for basketball?
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vb4life » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 pm

Usually districts rotate between schools, I know in our district it does. The problem with neutral locations like the Fargo Civic is that they charge way too much to use their facility, so I don't forsee them using a neutral site.
vb4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby vb4life » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:49 pm

And basketball typically brings in more gate money than volleyball so makes having it in a place like the Civic more doable. But with volleyball's increasing numbers that may change in the future.
vb4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby gameplayer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:46 pm

I personally like it in the Class B school gyms. I wish Region 4 would alternate between New Rockford and Langdon. Devils Lake is a very sterile environment for regional volleyball. I am sure the atmosphere in Oakes will be something the girls in Region 1 will never forget.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:52 pm

I've been in the Civic Center for a volleyball game...Its not that good of an environment for any game. You won't fill it up like you might for a Boys Basketball regional game (or Girls for that matter)...so there will be TOO MUCH dead space in there.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby vb4life » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 am

I agree, I love the atmosphere of the high school gyms, especially with a packed house and the crowd goes wild. You lose that in a big place. Have you ever been to a NDSU volleyball match? The Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse isn't very big, but the atmosphere is awesome. Go to a match at Jamestown College, that place is smaller than most old high school gyms.
vb4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Isn't Regionals ran by the NDHSAA. Do you think they would foot the bill paying rent in the Fargo Civic for 3 nights vs. paying rent at a local school to host???
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:13 am

I must admit that the Oakes gym is pretty nice and bigger than I expected (I heard it holds 900?). Considering that it was a District 2 sweep today in the Region 1 tourney, my guess is there will be enough room in the gym on Thursday. Everyone will have to travel a long distance and fans will not be as abundant as they would if it were closer to "home." Hopefully, there will still be a great tournout, because we are guarenteed to be treated to some great volleyball!
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDclassBdad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm

Very nice facility in Oakes! I also hope for the girls sake that they get a good turn out from the area even though it is a district 2 sweep.
NDclassBdad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:49 pm

What gets me for this Region 1 tourney is not the location but the fact that there is no radio station that seems to be willing to cover the tourney like Region 2 or 3 is doing.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Nodak Guy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:What gets me for this Region 1 tourney is not the location but the fact that there is no radio station that seems to be willing to cover the tourney like Region 2 or 3 is doing.

I listened to it on 103.9 last night. I was told there were a couple of other stations doing it, too.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:What gets me for this Region 1 tourney is not the location but the fact that there is no radio station that seems to be willing to cover the tourney like Region 2 or 3 is doing.

I listened to it on 103.9 last night. I was told there were a couple of other stations doing it, too.

oh ok..well Oakes' station or affiliate only did the Oakes game. I'll check 103.9 then
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Volleyball