Gatorade Player of the year in ND

Gatorade Player of the year in ND

Postby vballer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Who are the class A and B contenders for the ND Gatorade VB player of the year. According to the Gatorade website, they have to be considered one of the top five players in the state. They do not have to be a senior. They have to be a starter on their team, the top player on their team, on of the top players in the conference and state. Be honest here, don't just pick a player from the team you cheer for.
vballer
NDPreps Starter

Re: Gatorade Player of the year in ND

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Some possible athletes:

Kira Larson (Fargo North)
Emily Thompson (Carrington)
Hadley Steffan (GF Red River)
Alexis Jacobs (Bismarck Century)
Mackenzie Hart (Langdon)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby yosports » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:04 pm

Wow, that is a good list of players. I guess I think they WILL award it to a senior. I would say it is down to Thompson or Hart. I think Langdon and Carrington are in the same region so whoever comes out of that region (and I am predicting Carrington will) will get Gatorade Player of the Year.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby vballer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:17 pm

it does not have to be a senior, many states have had soph and juniors. It has a lot of criteria based on stats, community involvement, making a difference on your team and in the state.
vballer
NDPreps Starter

Postby gameplayer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:30 pm

yosports wrote:Wow, that is a good list of players. I guess I think they WILL award it to a senior. I would say it is down to Thompson or Hart. I think Langdon and Carrington are in the same region so whoever comes out of that region (and I am predicting Carrington will) will get Gatorade Player of the Year.

If they go by stats it wont be close. Hart just hit 2000 kills and 2000 digs. Thompson just hit 1000 kills this year. Hart has had a more solid career. Thompson more so her junior and senior year. Hart is a better all round player.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:23 am

I would guess it comes down to Larson or Hart w/ Larson winning it.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wolves65 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:49 pm

If it was for just this year not sure Hart would get it. She has been hurt part of the year but if you go off her 6 years and her stats she deserves it. Larson's best years are ahead of her. She gets mentioned because she is committed to Nebraska to play volleyball not because she has dominated the sport this year. Same can be said for Thompson from Carrington, if she had not committed to UND for volleyball she wouldn't even be getting noticed for the award, again potential vs production. Johnson from North is more vital to her team than Larson IMO.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bisonfan11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:17 pm

I agree with wolves65 100%. Larson is a great ball player, however, I agree that Johnson is the key to North.

It's an award based on that year...I think the front runner would be Steffan from Red River.
bisonfan11
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:18 pm

If its for the year:

The top 2 (one from each class) are: Hadley Steffan (GFRR) and Emily Thompson (Carrington).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby dolly095 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Hadley Steffan. Currently leading her team to an undefeated record. Helped get RR to the state championship game 2 years in a row (probably going to be 3). She gets my vote
dolly095
NDPreps Rookie

Postby wolves65 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 pm

This award is the the best player not the girl with the most kills. It can be pretty easy to pile up stats vs alot of class B schools when you are as tall as Emily T.. Alot of teams at the B level will single block the middle and try to dig because they have no chance at blocking someone her size. If the final two class B players are Hart and Thompson it is not even close. Hart has just as many kills and attacks from the front and back row. She is a better defender in the back row vs Thompson. She has led her team to a state title! She has been a name in VB for what seems like forever.

I cant comment on any class A girls because I haven't seen any of them play but they play at a different level than the class B girls. Game is bigger and is played at a much faster pace. The only B schools that I have seen who could hang with the A schools this season are: Central Cass , Kindred, and Stanley ( if they are playing well). Kindred did pretty well in the Fargo Invite and Stanley did the same in Dickinson earlier this season.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby allornothing_8 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 am

I hope whoever wins the award is a senior because then the voting might not be fair for next year. IMO
allornothing_8
NDPreps Reserve

Postby VOTCC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:19 pm

wolves65

I'm guessing you haven't seen Carrington play? If you have you might want to add them to your list of teams that can play against the A teams. Which would also mean you haven't seen Thompson play either. Both Carrington & Midkota beat Central Cass & Kindred in Valley City tourney earlier this year. Just to clarify, Midkota defeated C.C. in the final & Cgtn. defeated Kindred that day for 3rd. As for Thompson & Hart, it's already been stated, obviously if your a good or great B player your going to get all kinds of stats playing lots of teams that aren't very good (some are terrible), but to say Hart is that much better than Thompson is ridiculous IMO & most people will figure that out when they get to the next level, because Thompson has way more upside at the next level than Hart. I'm not slamming Hart when I state this either, she is a great player, but I would say Thompson will be a much more productive college player, again JMO, don't expect to change your mind.
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:45 am

no doubt Thompson will be a better college player and Hart is a better player TODAY and that was the question. You don't give a player an award because of what you think they will do in 2 years it is for what they have done now. Haven't seen Thompson play this high school season but did see her in JO last spring. You can't teach what she was born with but they can teach the rest of the game. It will take a few years but she can be very good down the road. Look at Roni Munkaby from Lisbon, she went to UND and you didn't hear much from her for a couple of years. She is having a great season this year.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vballer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Johnson is a good player for North but had been hurt for over a month, she is not setting anymore and the other setter now has better stats that she has. (they were about even prior to Johnson's injury). Johnson really struggles in the back row too. I was told that Larson leads the team in kills, blocks, aces and isn't too far behind their really good libero Preston in digs, so I would say that she is pretty valuable for North.
vballer
NDPreps Starter

Postby VOTCC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Not trying to beat a dead horse wolves65, but apparently if UND recruited Thompson, maybe that means she's a pretty good player right now? As of now, I would say Thompson is as good or better than Hart (hitting, serving, digging). I'll give Hart the advantage at passing & blocking, again JMO. Has Hart committed anywhere yet? We can probably both agree that there both great players--I'm just going with Thompson right now.
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:58 pm

I never said she wasn't a good player, the question was always who is better today and IMO it is Hart in class B. In two years that should be different. UND also recruits 250 lb lineman because they know what they could be down the road. Colleges don't recruit most kids for what they see today it is what they think they see in a couple of years. So 5-8 Hart is a better blocker than 6-2 thompson and she digs better than Hart?
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby VOTCC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Colleges recruit talent 1st, potential & work ethic are recruited 2nd & 3rd & the 2nd & 3rd could be interchanged in order, but there isn't even a question that it's talent 1st. UND is something like 23-4 on the year right now, it's because of talent (if the talent has at least the work ethic with it) it goes a long way. Gatorade player of the year (2011) means this year, not what someone did for the past 6 years. Again both great players, I'm still saying Thompson is better than Hart right now & the difference between them will get further & further apart over the next several years (in Thompson's favor). JMO
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby gameplayer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:25 am

VOTCC wrote:Colleges recruit talent 1st, potential & work ethic are recruited 2nd & 3rd & the 2nd & 3rd could be interchanged in order, but there isn't even a question that it's talent 1st. UND is something like 23-4 on the year right now, it's because of talent (if the talent has at least the work ethic with it) it goes a long way. Gatorade player of the year (2011) means this year, not what someone did for the past 6 years. Again both great players, I'm still saying Thompson is better than Hart right now & the difference between them will get further & further apart over the next several years (in Thompson's favor). JMO

VOTCC,
Do you have Thompson's stats this year? Kills, Digs, Aces, Blocks, Serve Percentage, Serve Recieve Percentage?
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby VOTCC » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:40 pm

gameplayer,

Sorry, wish I did & unfortunately I know the stats throughout the years haven't been overly accurate either, which can lead to another topic of debate. Just making this clear, I'm not saying Emily Thompson is the gatorade player of the year in North Dakota (haven't seen any class A players), but if it came down to class B kids she would have my vote. Hard to compare because there is know question that match to match class A teams play a much better schedule. Hypothetically, if Emily plays in Fargo, Bismarck, or Grand Forks growing up, it's not even a question she would win this award (no intention of dissing any other kids), she is that good (also a good kid).
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 pm

IMO you have lost any creditablity in this argument when you make a hypothetical statement like that. I have watched alot of volleyball over the years and there are alot of really good volleyball players in the state of ND they just aren't 6-2. THE main reason Emily is getting recruited is because her height and athletic ability, be honest at least about that and I am not dissing her either. You can't pick sides in a battle like this without sounding like you are bashing a kid and that is never good.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby VOTCC » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 am

wolves65
I'm changing my name to "Beating a Dead Horse to Death" (lol), read the previous post, talent is #1 reason, if you think I'm bashing any kid, read my posts, not 1 bash like your quote of saying "If the final two class B players are Hart & Thompson it is not even close." If you read the whole post you were referencing how much better Hart is than Thompson. Or this one, "Same can be said for Thompson from Carrington, if she had not committed to UND for volleyball she wouldn't even be getting noticed for the award". Maybe UND wanted the best player possible out of the state & got her? Done with this, as I stated a few time earlier, they are both great high school players, but IMO, Thompson is better right now. Oh, by the way, every post I made, I said Hart was a great player so not sure what your comment on bashing a kid come from. Maybe read your own comments before making that statement. Also stated earlier that I don't expect to change your mind, so we'll leave it at that.
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby cowboysfan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:09 pm

I know that Hart also is being recruited by UND and by some other D 1 schools, you do not need to be 6'2" to be successful in college. I would assume Hart is focused on back to back state championships not where she is playing next year, as a high school senior, that is what she should ne doing. Also their are some very good players in this state, not just those two, whoever wins will deserve it!
cowboysfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gameplayer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:43 am

VOTCC wrote:gameplayer,

Sorry, wish I did & unfortunately I know the stats throughout the years haven't been overly accurate either, which can lead to another topic of debate. Just making this clear, I'm not saying Emily Thompson is the gatorade player of the year in North Dakota (haven't seen any class A players), but if it came down to class B kids she would have my vote. Hard to compare because there is know question that match to match class A teams play a much better schedule. Hypothetically, if Emily plays in Fargo, Bismarck, or Grand Forks growing up, it's not even a question she would win this award (no intention of dissing any other kids), she is that good (also a good kid).

Too bad Carrington doesnt keep good stats. I know the Langdon program is very meticulous about their stats and are very accurate. I have watched Thompson since she was a sophomore and the only thing she had going for her then was her height cause she struggled at every other part of her game. She has improved her game to where she isnt an excessive liability anymore when playing defense. She will only play front row in college. Hart will play all the way around. Yes she has the kills but teams do everything they can to avoid her on the serve-receive cause she is that good of a passer. Hart has been doing it year in and year out. College teams will find a spot for her cause of her leaping ability and her shot selection and because of her defense. When it comes down to Class A or Class B kids Hart has my vote.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballin34 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:38 am

This topic has gotten way off track. When it comes to bashing other players it is time to quit. Obviously everyone has their own opinion but sometimes its best to keep it to yourself. There's so many things I want to say back to that last post, but I am going to have some class and leave it at this. May the best player win!
ballin34
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Volleyball