wood bats in 2007

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:33 pm

what are some of your guys thoughts about what this season will be like with the wood bats?  should be interesting
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bison_18 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:39 pm

Averages will be down about 100 points, more infield hits, you're gonna need even a more solid infield to contend for the state title. Teams are gonna have to learn to play more small ball. The best comparison is kinda like playing american league ball to national league ball.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:02 pm

my first thought when i see this topic is why couldnt it just continue in one of the previous 6 threads aobut this topic instead of changing every other week
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonman » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:51 pm

bison_18 wrote:Averages will be down about 100 points, more infield hits, you're gonna need even a more solid infield to contend for the state title. Teams are gonna have to learn to play more small ball. The best comparison is kinda like playing american league ball to national league ball.

I think it'll only hurt averages of blooper hitters. If your a solid contact line drive hitter, it's not going to hurt you. They still have to play you back and you can get some infield hits. If you can hit the long ball a Long ways, it won't hurt your HR's if they've been a good 30-40 feet over the fence. All it's going to hurt is the medium-low batters.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby tanner lorenz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:38 pm

blooper hitters will struggle, but power numbers will go down, because of the cold, hitters wont get much pop with the wood bats, and if they break a bat in the cold, they will regret it for the rest of the season
tanner lorenz

Postby bisonman » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:24 pm

tanner lorenz wrote:blooper hitters will struggle, but power numbers will go down, because of the cold, hitters wont get much pop with the wood bats, and if they break a bat in the cold, they will regret it for the rest of the season

That's another thing you'll see. Most teams will have maybe 1-2  composites. If they'd use straight wood bats, a team would spend about 500-1000 on wood bats alone for a single season. I know for a fact that some teams can't afford spending $200 a single season on bats.
Last edited by bisonman on Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby power-aid14 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:25 am

bisonman wrote:
tanner lorenz wrote:blooper hitters will struggle, but power numbers will go down, because of the cold, hitters wont get much pop with the wood bats, and if they break a bat in the cold, they will regret it for the rest of the season

That's another thing you'll see. Most teams will have maybe 1-2  composites. If they'd use straight wood bats, a team would spend about 500-1000 on wood bats alone for a single season. I know for a fact that some teams can't afford spending $200 a single season on bats.

well if you play legion wouldnt it make sense just to buy your own composite you can use there too. cuz i know once i start using wood thats all im using from then on.
Last edited by power-aid14 on Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tanner lorenz » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:33 am

im just goin to buy my own bats, that way i can get the right size, makes more sense
tanner lorenz

Postby bison_18 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:27 pm

You'd be surprised with averages, good hitters will be good, but the sweet spot on wood bats is probly twice as small as compared to aluminum. I'll be surprised if any team gets over 10 hr's.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:01 am

bison_18 wrote:You'd be surprised with averages, good hitters will be good, but the sweet spot on wood bats is probly twice as small as compared to aluminum. I'll be surprised if any team gets over 10 hr's.

In spring maybe, in legion you'll see some teams over 10 hrs very easily.

Not every kid is going to want to go out and buy their own bat.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby tanner lorenz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:39 am

[suB]yeah, and its not like high schools are going to go out and buy the best bats, but the players that are serious will most likely go out and buy a bat, i heard from a coach that baumbats or something like that are the best ones, but their like 200 dollars, guarenteed like 20,000 hits or something like that...[/suB]
tanner lorenz

Postby bison_18 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:53 am

bisonman wrote:
bison_18 wrote:You'd be surprised with averages, good hitters will be good, but the sweet spot on wood bats is probly twice as small as compared to aluminum. I'll be surprised if any team gets over 10 hr's.

In spring maybe, in legion you'll see some teams over 10 hrs very easily.

Not every kid is going to want to go out and buy their own bat.

Isn't legion still using aluminum??
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby tanner lorenz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:15 pm

i believe legion switches to wood in 2008
tanner lorenz

Postby JoJoNino » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:45 am

I think the idea of high school baseball switching to wood bats is a rediculous rule. there are colleges that use metal bats, and the obviously have a lot quicker bat speed and are a lot stronger than most high school players. correct me if im wrong but dont you think the NDHSAA is being a little over cautious when it comes to being safe? Its baseball there is going to be times when a pitcher gets a line drive hit back to them, its part of the game.
JoJoNino
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:04 am

[user=2866]JoJoNino[/user] wrote:
I think the idea of high school baseball switching to wood bats is a rediculous rule. there are colleges that use metal bats, and the obviously have a lot quicker bat speed and are a lot stronger than most high school players. correct me if im wrong but dont you think the NDHSAA is being a little over cautious when it comes to being safe? Its baseball there is going to be times when a pitcher gets a line drive hit back to them, its part of the game.

I don't think the NDHSAA can ever be to over cautious when it comes to high school athletes. I'd rather see them take the precautions to make it as safe as possible, then not and have something go wrong. Yes a line drive is part of the game of baseball but if steps can be taken too have the speed of the ball coming at a pitcher reduced I am all for that.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:57 am

I think people are going to find that wood bats are way more fun to play with than aluminum.
baseball1981

Postby catchit9 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:18 am

i have played with wood and aluminum equally in the past few years and i love wood... of course aluminum will create more homeruns, but its not about that... we will see who the real hitters are this year
catchit9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:31 am

catchit9 wrote:i have played with wood and aluminum equally in the past few years and i love wood... of course aluminum will create more homeruns, but its not about that... we will see who the real hitters are this year
Exactly, no more bloopers by 4'11 kids on good pitchers haha.
baseball1981

Postby catchit9 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:34 am

ya no kidding... those will be either ground outs or the pitcher will be eating splinters... haha
catchit9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:35 am

catchit9 wrote:ya no kidding... those will be either ground outs or the pitcher will be eating splinters... haha
haha, yeah
baseball1981

Postby Number7 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:31 pm

tanner lorenz wrote:i believe legion switches to wood in 2008

are you sure about that? cause im pretty sure for legion to change it has to be a nationwide change and I definately can not see that happening.  Since, I am a pithcer I love the idea of wood bats, make kids earn their hits, and if you throw a 0-2 fastball on the inside corner at a 4' 11" kids shoulders you dont have to worry about it falling over the secondbase man's head in right field.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:51 pm

I heard something about this as well.
baseball1981

Postby experiencingtechnicaldiff » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:58 pm

I think the change is great. Wood bats are alot more fun to play with. The sound of a hard hit ball coming off a wood bat is priceless. Most balls that come off of aluminum bats sounds pretty good, but with wood, you know when someone has found the sweet spot, or if someone needs a new bat. I don't speak for everybody here, but I am the type of guy who goes to games to watch pitchers. I love a close, low-scoring game with 2 great pitchers going head to head. I find games alot more enjoyable seeing a suicide squeeze executed to perfection, then someone getting under a ball and it still goes over the fence for a home run. I think low scoring games are great, and small ball is alot more enjoyable then watching a game that has teams go through a combined 5 or 6 pitchers. It is fun to see home runs, but just think how much more fun it will be to see that rare home run come off a wood bat. NDHSAA has a right to be cautious. I watched a pitcher last year take a line drive back in his bare hand, and i don't think he played for quite a while, and when he did come back, he couldn't grip the ball as well. Precautions are just fine and dandy.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." -Red Auerbach
experiencingtechnicaldiff
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:03 pm

experiencingtechnicaldifficulties wrote:I think the change is great. Wood bats are alot more fun to play with. The sound of a hard hit ball coming off a wood bat is priceless. Most balls that come off of aluminum bats sounds pretty good, but with wood, you know when someone has found the sweet spot, or if someone needs a new bat. I don't speak for everybody here, but I am the type of guy who goes to games to watch pitchers. I love a close, low-scoring game with 2 great pitchers going head to head. I find games alot more enjoyable seeing a suicide squeeze executed to perfection, then someone getting under a ball and it still goes over the fence for a home run. I think low scoring games are great, and small ball is alot more enjoyable then watching a game that has teams go through a combined 5 or 6 pitchers. It is fun to see home runs, but just think how much more fun it will be to see that rare home run come off a wood bat. NDHSAA has a right to be cautious. I watched a pitcher last year take a line drive back in his bare hand, and i don't think he played for quite a while, and when he did come back, he couldn't grip the ball as well. Precautions are just fine and dandy.
I agree, I will give you some sports iq...haha
baseball1981

Postby knights4 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:10 pm

ya thats the only thing i like about wood bats. you wont see the screaming line drive commin right at you with no time to react, and the bloopers like you guys said, but i still wish they kept the alluminum  
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Class B