Class B State Legion Torney

Class B State Legion Torney

Postby northdakota201 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Who do you think will win or do well?
northdakota201
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Class B State Legion Torney

Postby GoPack#2 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:29 pm

I say Velva wins it over LaMoure or Casselton.
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 pm

casselton-pitching and experience
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 am

North Dakota American Legion Class B state tournament: Casselton team carries 32-5 record into tourney
By: Kevin Schnepf, INFORUM

Scott Radloff knows all about hitting the baseball.

He still holds three records at Valley City State with a .387 career batting average, 131 career runs batted in and 52 RBIs in one season.

He was a minor league most valuable player before he was released by the Cincinnati Reds.

Twenty-five years later, Radloff is coaching a Casselton American Legion baseball team that is batting .412.

“The starters are hitting .439,” said Radloff, whose Casselton team takes a 32-5 record to this week’s North Dakota Class B state tournament in Grafton. “I would say without a doubt, hitting is the strongest part of our game this summer. I knew we had a good team but I never would have dreamt we would hit this good.”

Why such gaudy batting statistics, which has helped Casselton average 10 runs per game?

“We are a very experienced team,” said Radloff, in his seventh season as Casselton’s coach. “We’ve got 18- or 19-year-old kids who have been around the block.”

Seven of those players were on the 2008 Casselton team that won a state championship. Four players have come back from college to play this summer.

One of those players is Brandon Rust, Casselton’s leadoff hitter who has a .506 batting average.

“He’s dynamite,” Radloff said. “I think he is one of the best players in the state.”

Jacob Mogen and Sam Schumacher, who play at Dakota State, are hitting .462 and .449, respectively. Mike Rose, who plays at Concordia, is the cleanup hitter boasting a .522 average.

There’s more: Jack Wilcox (.440), Alex Jacobson (.463), Jalen Ham (.438), Zach Prante (.328) and Beau Sinner – the 2008 Legion player of the year who has bounced back from taking a bottle rocket in his year last year and shoulder surgery this year.

“He started the season 1-for-19, now he’s batting .292,” said Radloff, who was hoping Sinner could pitch before undergoing shoulder surgery.

Nonetheless, Radloff has gotten steady pitching performances from Rust (6-0 record with two one-hitters), Jacobson (6-0 with two no-hitters), Rose (5-1) and Schumacher (5-1).

Casselton will play a 4 p.m. opening round game Wednesday against Watford City – a team making its first state tournament appearance in 50 years.

“That doesn’t mean anything … look what we did two years ago,” Radloff said of his team’s 2008 championship when it was making its first state tourney appearance in 41 years.

“That’s when we could sneak up on people,” Radloff said. “Now, the target is on our back. We’ve been getting the teams’ best chuckers thrown at us.”

So far, it hasn’t been enough to stop that .400 hitting.

This article needs a few clarifications: Schumacher and Mogen will play baseball at Dakota State this upcoming year (they just graduated from Central Cass this year). Rose will play football at Concordia next year (also just graduated from HS). I don't believe he is playing baseball for Concordia.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 am

I'm missing a team. Can someone please help? Here's what I have:

11 AM: ? vs Velva
1:30 PM: LaMoure vs. Washburn
4 PM: Casselton vs. Watford City
6:30 PM: Valley City vs. Grafton

If any of that is wrong, feel free to correct, and if someone can add that final team, that would be great. Thanks for the help.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby berry186 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:34 am

I believe it is munich but I'm not positive
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 am

You're right. I heard Munich had qualified as the runner-up to Grafton in that section. Thanks!
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Class B State Legion Tourney

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:59 am

11:00 am - Munich vs Velva
1:30 pm - LaMoure vs Washburn
4:00 pm - Casselton vs Watford City
6:30 pm - Valley City vs Grafton
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GoPack#2 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:23 pm

ClassBEast wrote:North Dakota American Legion Class B state tournament: Casselton team carries 32-5 record into tourney
By: Kevin Schnepf, INFORUM

Scott Radloff knows all about hitting the baseball.

He still holds three records at Valley City State with a .387 career batting average, 131 career runs batted in and 52 RBIs in one season.

He was a minor league most valuable player before he was released by the Cincinnati Reds.

Twenty-five years later, Radloff is coaching a Casselton American Legion baseball team that is batting .412.

“The starters are hitting .439,” said Radloff, whose Casselton team takes a 32-5 record to this week’s North Dakota Class B state tournament in Grafton. “I would say without a doubt, hitting is the strongest part of our game this summer. I knew we had a good team but I never would have dreamt we would hit this good.”

Why such gaudy batting statistics, which has helped Casselton average 10 runs per game?

“We are a very experienced team,” said Radloff, in his seventh season as Casselton’s coach. “We’ve got 18- or 19-year-old kids who have been around the block.”

Seven of those players were on the 2008 Casselton team that won a state championship. Four players have come back from college to play this summer.

One of those players is Brandon Rust, Casselton’s leadoff hitter who has a .506 batting average.

“He’s dynamite,” Radloff said. “I think he is one of the best players in the state.”

Jacob Mogen and Sam Schumacher, who play at Dakota State, are hitting .462 and .449, respectively. Mike Rose, who plays at Concordia, is the cleanup hitter boasting a .522 average.

There’s more: Jack Wilcox (.440), Alex Jacobson (.463), Jalen Ham (.438), Zach Prante (.328) and Beau Sinner – the 2008 Legion player of the year who has bounced back from taking a bottle rocket in his year last year and shoulder surgery this year.

“He started the season 1-for-19, now he’s batting .292,” said Radloff, who was hoping Sinner could pitch before undergoing shoulder surgery.

Nonetheless, Radloff has gotten steady pitching performances from Rust (6-0 record with two one-hitters), Jacobson (6-0 with two no-hitters), Rose (5-1) and Schumacher (5-1).

Casselton will play a 4 p.m. opening round game Wednesday against Watford City – a team making its first state tournament appearance in 50 years.

“That doesn’t mean anything … look what we did two years ago,” Radloff said of his team’s 2008 championship when it was making its first state tourney appearance in 41 years.

“That’s when we could sneak up on people,” Radloff said. “Now, the target is on our back. We’ve been getting the teams’ best chuckers thrown at us.”

So far, it hasn’t been enough to stop that .400 hitting.

This article needs a few clarifications: Schumacher and Mogen will play baseball at Dakota State this upcoming year (they just graduated from Central Cass this year). Rose will play football at Concordia next year (also just graduated from HS). I don't believe he is playing baseball for Concordia.

And the last part needs a few clarifications Schumacher and Mogen will play baseball at Dakota Weslyn(spelling?) And Mike Rose will be playing baseball not football at Concordia.
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:55 am

You're right about Dakota Wesleyan instead of Dakota State, but Mike Rose is playing football at Concordia.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:20 am

Anybody know about radio coverage?
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby lovwatchingsports » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 am

any radio stations
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 am

lovwatchingsports wrote:any radio stations

If you're in the Casselton listening area, 103.9 The Truck is carrying their games.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Munich 13
Velva 4
FINAL
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby A - Football Fan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:43 pm

http://gra.midco.net/legion/index.htm

This website has live web chat with play by play of all of the games. Does a pretty good job.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gobison#6 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm

ClassBEast wrote:You're right about Dakota Wesleyan instead of Dakota State, but Mike Rose is playing football at Concordia.

He told me he chose baseball at Concordia but the football coach wanted him to play football too.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby gobison#6 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Just a question. Who won the section that Enderlin plays in? Because I know last year Casselton, Enderlin, and Lamoure were all in the same region for high school but not legion so they all made it to state. When the 16 yr. old junior teams dropped out did Enderlin's section gain Lamoure?
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby rkmt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 pm

gobison#6 wrote:Just a question. Who won the section that Enderlin plays in? Because I know last year Casselton, Enderlin, and Lamoure were all in the same region for high school but not legion so they all made it to state. When the 16 yr. old junior teams dropped out did Enderlin's section gain Lamoure?

actually VC won the section. Fairmount/Hankinson beat VC in the opening round, and then beat Enderlin in a subsequent round. Meanwhile VC strung wins together including giving Enderlin their second loss and beating Wahpeton twice for the title. You can see the sections here:
http://www.ndlegion.org/baseball/baseball.htm LaMoure is still sec 2
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 am

rkmt wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:Just a question. Who won the section that Enderlin plays in? Because I know last year Casselton, Enderlin, and Lamoure were all in the same region for high school but not legion so they all made it to state. When the 16 yr. old junior teams dropped out did Enderlin's section gain Lamoure?

actually VC won the section. Fairmount/Hankinson beat VC in the opening round, and then beat Enderlin in a subsequent round. Meanwhile VC strung wins together including giving Enderlin their second loss and beating Wahpeton twice for the title. You can see the sections here:
http://www.ndlegion.org/baseball/baseball.htm LaMoure is still sec 2

K thanks. Was not quite sure if Valley City or Lamoure got moved into that section.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:15 pm

So do teams like the Mandan A's and Fargo Bombers not compete and Class B any more? and if so how long has it been like this?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Flip wrote:So do teams like the Mandan A's and Fargo Bombers not compete and Class B any more? and if so how long has it been like this?

They do not compete in class B legion anymore. This is the first year. Their schedules still consist of many of the area class B teams in the regular season but they have their own Jr. League state tournament. It was in West Fargo this year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby gtownrat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Dunn threw a nice game. got squeezed a little. but threw pretty hard. must have been consistently around 80-81 mph.
gtownrat
NDPreps Rookie

Postby thatguy422 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:33 am

If Dunn was throwing 80-81 then he was throwing slower than normal. A lot of people in the state throw 80-81.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Casselton beats Grafton 7-4. Congrats to Casselton on winning this years state championship.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 am

American Legion baseball: Casselton claims ‘B’ title game
By: Greg DeVillers / Forum Communications Co., INFORUM

GRAFTON, N.D. – By his own choice, Alex Jacobson was a spectator rather than a player when Casselton won the 2008 North Dakota Class B American Legion baseball title.

“They had a great team,’’ Jacobson said. “I didn’t feel I’d be playing much, so I figured why waste my time.

“I wish now I would have played.’’

Jacobson made up for his previous missed opportunity on Sunday.

The right-hander pitched a complete game, striking out nine while allowing nine hits, as Casselton beat Grafton 7-4 in the championship game of the Class B American Legion state tournament.

Casselton advances to the Central Plains Division II tournament, which begins Thursday in LeSueur, Minn.

It was the second win in the tournament for Jacobson, who also had a save on the mound and was second on the team with a .476 batting average in the tournament. He was named the tournament’s most valuable player.

Jacobson took an inning to find his groove. Grafton scored all of its runs in the bottom of the first inning. The first three came when Todd Paulson lined a home run down the left-field line, just to the right of the 325-foot sign. Cory Blanchard also drove in a run with a triple.

That was it for Grafton, however, as it managed only five hits the rest of the way.

“I told the kids early that four runs wasn’t going to win this game,’’ Casselton coach Scott Radloff said. “I thought they’d score more; I thought we’d have to score more. But Alex settled in and pitched well. This is typical of the way he’s pitched all year.’’

Jacobson is undefeated on the mound, with two no-hitters, this season.

“I felt confident in my fastball,’’ Jacobson said. “And it was nice that I was throwing it for strikes.’’

Casselton didn’t wait long to erase its deficit.

A three-run rally in the top of the second was highlighted by Brandon Rust’s two-run triple to right-center. In the third, Jalen Ham lined a triple into the gap in left-center to drive in two runs and give Casselton a permanent lead at 5-4. Casselton added single runs in the fifth and seventh innings.

Jacobson kept his infielders busy, as Casselton recorded eight outs on ground balls.

“We had six players playing out of their normal positions because of various injuries,’’ Radloff said. “I was very worried about our defense. But they responded well.’’

Both teams have veteran rosters. Casselton has seven players in their final season of Legion eligibility; Grafton has six.

“I’m not disappointed,’’ Grafton coach Chad Kliniske said. “We made it to the last game of the year. The kids fought hard. But we made some mistakes on defense and on the bases. It was little things that shouldn’t happen. You can’t do that against a quality opponent like Casselton.

“We score four in the first, then can’t scratch anything across the rest of the way. Neither team had an insurmountable lead. We just needed to find a way to answer back to their runs. But we couldn’t.’’

Mike Rose had three hits and two runs in the championship for Casselton, with Ham winding up with three RBI. Rust and Sam Schumacher had a pair of hits for Casselton, which won the state championship for the second time in three seasons.

In earlier games Sunday, Velva edged Grafton 5-4 in a game that had been suspended Saturday night due to inclement weather. Grafton, as the lone unbeaten entering Saturday’s play, was guaranteed a berth in the title game regardless of the outcome of its game against Velva.

In a loser-out game, Casselton eliminated Velva with an 11-10 win. Beau Sinner lined a two-out single to center field in the bottom of the sixth inning, driving home a pair of runs to snap a 9-9 tie. Schumacher and Jacobson each had three hits for Casselton, with Schumacher getting a double and a triple. Zach Podoll was 3-for-3 for Velva, including a solo home run in the seventh.

Casselton 032 010 1– 7 12 1

Grafton 400 000 0– 4 9 3

W–Jacobson. LP–Tweten.

Velva 5, Grafton 4

Grafton 000 040 0– 4 4 1

Velva 100 400 x– 5 8 2

W–Podoll. L–Dusek.

Casselton 11, Velva 10

Velva 007 002 1– 10 8 6

Casselton 332 102 x– 11 13 2

W–Lubbers. L–Bruner.
ClassBEast