Junior teams out of Class B Legion

Re: Junior teams out of Class B Legion

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

larrybird33 wrote:I gotta tell you, I don't like this one bit. I played for one of these junior teams awhile back as a 15 year old and I loved it. We saved a few miles of travel, we got a taste of small town ND life, and we got to play against some talented 17 and 18 year olds for the first time. I thought it was a great way of preparing us for class A legion ball.

I guess I can understand people wanting the junior teams out because they are not 'true' class B teams. I just didn't think there was a problem with these junior teams. They were competitive (which is what you want), but they weren't dominant.

But what's the deal with the 7 team state tournament? Does the host team get in to make it 8, or are they going to play with 7?

I would guess they will still play virtually the same schedule as before only they will now be non league games and they will no longer be in the Class B section tournaments. I think tournament play is going to be the only real change that takes place.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tigger » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:42 am

InTheKnow wrote:
larrybird33 wrote:I gotta tell you, I don't like this one bit. I played for one of these junior teams awhile back as a 15 year old and I loved it. We saved a few miles of travel, we got a taste of small town ND life, and we got to play against some talented 17 and 18 year olds for the first time. I thought it was a great way of preparing us for class A legion ball.

I guess I can understand people wanting the junior teams out because they are not 'true' class B teams. I just didn't think there was a problem with these junior teams. They were competitive (which is what you want), but they weren't dominant.

But what's the deal with the 7 team state tournament? Does the host team get in to make it 8, or are they going to play with 7?

I would guess they will still play virtually the same schedule as before only they will now be non league games and they will no longer be in the Class B section tournaments. I think tournament play is going to be the only real change that takes place.

I don't see much change taking place with the schedules of the junior teams. Maybe some B teams will choose not to play them anymore. I believe this move was made because some sections didn't like the junior teams taking up spots in the state tournament especially in the west. The host team goes to state in Legion now just like in Babe Ruth. I hope the Legion host teams are more competitive than some of the BR ones I have seen recently.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Tigger wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:

I don't see much change taking place with the schedules of the junior teams. Maybe some B teams will choose not to play them anymore. I believe this move was made because some sections didn't like the junior teams taking up spots in the state tournament especially in the west. The host team goes to state in Legion now just like in Babe Ruth. I hope the Legion host teams are more competitive than some of the BR ones I have seen recently.

The change happened because of the expansion nationally in regards to Junior teams crowning state champions and moving on to regional tournaments. Fargo is hosting this years Junior Central plains regional which I am sure spurred discussion as to the change. I think it is a great move for everyone involved.

With Grafton being the "B" host this year they will be a very competitive team.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:01 pm

larrybird33 wrote:IF the host team is in, I assume that they would take the #2 team out of that same section to become the 8th team.

I believe that is what they would do, I think thats what they do in Babe Ruth ball too.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tigger » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:29 pm

I see that sections 3 and 4 have changed again. Thompson back in 3 and Nelson County into 4 which is probably better for both leagues.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:06 am

Tigger wrote:I see that sections 3 and 4 have changed again. Thompson back in 3 and Nelson County into 4 which is probably better for both leagues.

Looks like someone must have alerted them to the millage I listed and both programs probably complained. It really was an easy solution. Good to see they got it right.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tigger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 am

Section 1 vs Host
Section 2 vs Section 7
Section 3 vs Section 6
Section 4 vs Section 5

These are the listed pairings for the 2010 state tournament.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Class B