Junior teams out of Class B Legion

Junior teams out of Class B Legion

Postby Tigger » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:27 am

Is anyone else excited that the Class A 16 year old teams are out of Class B Legion? I'm curious to see how the sections end up now as I have heard some rumors of realignment.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Junior teams out of Class B Legion

Postby lovwatchingsports » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Tigger wrote:Is anyone else excited that the Class A 16 year old teams are out of Class B Legion? I'm curious to see how the sections end up now as I have heard some rumors of realignment.

Its about time!!

I would bet there will not be a lot of movement, just due to travel.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby thatguy422 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:58 pm

What happened to them? :S
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby boog » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:45 pm

I always liked playing the Fargo Bombers... Their coach always made it that much better when we beat them. :D
boog
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 am

Tigger, where did you find this information?
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tigger » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:21 am

It was one of the hot topics at our Section scheduling meeting. We lost a Jr. team and are facing the possibility of losing one team and gaining another due to realignment. I've heard a couple scenarios with realignment but don't think a final decision has been made yet at the state level.

From what I understand, the Jr. teams will compete as their own entity.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoPack#2 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 am

So when will this take effect?
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tigger » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:11 pm

this season, it's already done
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoPack#2 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Tigger wrote:this season, it's already done

Ok so where are the Junior teams going? to class A? And how many junior teams where there?
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tigger » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 am

It is my understanding that the junior teams will have their own league and postseason. I assume they will play class B teams in the regular season. The truth is that I could care less what happens with those teams, and I'm sure a lot of Class B teams would agree.

The ND Legion website has the new alignment up http://www.ndlegion.org/baseball/baseball.htm

7 sections of class b
5 teams in junior ball

each has own state tournament

I see that alignment has Thompson away from their traditional rivals.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby greatbambino » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 am

Tigger wrote:The truth is that I could care less what happens with those teams, and I'm sure a lot of Class B teams would agree.

Tigger wrote:Is anyone else excited that the Class A 16 year old teams are out of Class B Legion?

you seem to be bitter towards jr legion teams. did you have some bad experiences where your team got destroyed by 15 and 16 year olds?
greatbambino
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tigger » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:04 am

greatbambino wrote:
Tigger wrote:The truth is that I could care less what happens with those teams, and I'm sure a lot of Class B teams would agree.

Tigger wrote:Is anyone else excited that the Class A 16 year old teams are out of Class B Legion?

you seem to be bitter towards jr legion teams. did you have some bad experiences where your team got destroyed by 15 and 16 year olds?

I was never on a team that was blown out by a junior team. We had two in our league when I played and were quite successful against them. It is their cocky attitudes that won't be missed.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bisonguy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 am

Tigger wrote:It is my understanding that the junior teams will have their own league and postseason. I assume they will play class B teams in the regular season. The truth is that I could care less what happens with those teams, and I'm sure a lot of Class B teams would agree.

The ND Legion website has the new alignment up http://www.ndlegion.org/baseball/baseball.htm

7 sections of class b
5 teams in junior ball

The American Legion site doesn't include the Minot Metros with the Class B Junior Teams. I am assuming they will still exist and be included in the new Junior class section.

Does anybody have insight into this?
bisonguy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 am

Tigger wrote:It is my understanding that the junior teams will have their own league and postseason. I assume they will play class B teams in the regular season. The truth is that I could care less what happens with those teams, and I'm sure a lot of Class B teams would agree.

7 sections of class b
5 teams in junior ball

I see that they didnt consult mapquest when making this decision to move Thompson. Nelson County used to be in Section 4 before they did not field a team for 2 years. they should return to that section based on miles and Thompson should clearly be in Section 3. Making Thompson drive 157 miles to Munich and 128 miles to Langdon is not a very good idea considering the drive from Tolna to Casselton is 126 miles as well and 147 from Lakota. Considering going from Tolna (the furthest south in Nelson County) is a complete wash for either direction they need to take into account those from Lakota who play and the entire Thompson program. The numbers dont come close to adding up....

Nelson County in Section 4
......From Tolna ........Lakota
Manvel- 98 miles......72 miles
Munich- 93 Miles......68 miles
Grafton- 97 miles .....71 miles
Langdon- 77 Miles .... 50 miles
Midway- 68 miles..... 45 miles
Larimore- 64 miles ....38 miles
Total- 497 miles....344 total

Nelson County in Section 3
..........From Tolna ........Lakota
Casselton- 126 miles....147 miles
Gardner- 108 miles......116 miles
Reynolds- 70 miles.......79 miles
Hope-.....67 miles.......78 miles
Mayville- 71 miles........79 miles
Hatton-...56 miles....... 65 miles
Total-..498 miles .....564 miles

Thompson in Section 4
Munich- 157 miles
Langdon- 128 miles
Midway- 48 miles
Grafton- 57 miles
Larimore-38 miles
Manvel- 25 miles
Total- 453 miles

Thompson in Section 3
Casselton- 76 miles
Gardner- 46 miles
Hatton- 24 miles
Reynolds- 10 miles
Hope- 66 miles
Mayville- 31 miles
Total- 253 miles
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:29 pm

InTheKnow wrote:

7 sections of class b
5 teams in junior ball

I see that they didnt consult mapquest when making this decision to move Thompson. Nelson County used to be in Section 4 before they did not field a team for 2 years. they should return to that section based on miles and Thompson should clearly be in Section 3. Making Thompson drive 157 miles to Munich and 128 miles to Langdon is not a very good idea considering the drive from Tolna to Casselton is 126 miles as well and 147 from Lakota. Considering going from Tolna (the furthest south in Nelson County) is a complete wash for either direction they need to take into account those from Lakota who play and the entire Thompson program. The numbers dont come close to adding up....

Nelson County in Section 4
......From Tolna ........Lakota
Manvel- 98 miles......72 miles
Munich- 93 Miles......68 miles
Grafton- 97 miles .....71 miles
Langdon- 77 Miles .... 50 miles
Midway- 68 miles..... 45 miles
Larimore- 64 miles ....38 miles
Total- 497 miles....344 total

Nelson County in Section 3
..........From Tolna ........Lakota
Casselton- 126 miles....147 miles
Gardner- 108 miles......116 miles
Reynolds- 70 miles.......79 miles
Hope-.....67 miles.......78 miles
Mayville- 71 miles........79 miles
Hatton-...56 miles....... 65 miles
Total-..498 miles .....564 miles

Thompson in Section 4
Munich- 157 miles
Langdon- 128 miles
Midway- 48 miles
Grafton- 57 miles
Larimore-38 miles
Manvel- 25 miles
Total- 453 miles

Thompson in Section 3
Casselton- 76 miles
Gardner- 46 miles
Hatton- 24 miles
Reynolds- 10 miles
Hope- 66 miles
Mayville- 31 miles
Total- 253 miles

Nelson County was in Section 4 for 1 year. Since their Babe Ruth program is was in the Harvey, New Rockford, Carrington section, they switched their Legion to the same section for the past two years. So in 2007 they were in Section 4 and for 2008 and 2009 they were in Section 7 which is now section 5. All of Nelson County's games are played in Tolna. It is the furthest south town, so maybe this why they got put in the south section?
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Correct, and Lakota was in Section 4 for many years before that when they went to the current section format. But if you look at the millage if you combine all the trips together from the farthest southern town that makes up their team it is actually 1 mile shorter to section 4 then trips 2 Section 3. It just doesnt make sense. Section 4 is closer by alot for the vast majority of the teams make up and the move for Thompson would be a huge problem for them also I would guess. I would imagine there are players from Lakota that also make up the team this year correct? I know Olderbach (sp) from Lakota played for them last year. Having Nelson Cty in Section 4 makes sense from so many angles. A correction needs to be made!
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:16 pm

bisonguy wrote:

7 sections of class b
5 teams in junior ball

The American Legion site doesn't include the Minot Metros with the Class B Junior Teams. I am assuming they will still exist and be included in the new Junior class section.

Yeah don't Mandan and Bismarck have junior teams too?
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:26 am

gobison#6 wrote:
bisonguy wrote:

7 sections of class b
5 teams in junior ball

Yeah don't Mandan and Bismarck have junior teams too?

I know Mandan does. Not sure on Bismarck. I think Bismarck has 2 Senior Babe Ruth Teams instead.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby winners&losers » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:27 am

Yeah Bismarck has 2 Senior Babe Ruth Teams....will this rule include the Metros? because it is Mandan, Dickinson, and the Minot Metros who have Junior Teams
winners&losers

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:35 am

winners&losers wrote:Yeah Bismarck has 2 Senior Babe Ruth Teams....will this rule include the Metros? because it is Mandan, Dickinson, and the Minot Metros who have Junior Teams

Yes it does include them. All Junior teams from the big towns. I think it is a great change for all the programs. Probably will not see much change in regards to scheduling, just in post season tournaments.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby winners&losers » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 pm

so the Minot Metros, Mandan A's, and the Dickinson Junior teams won't be in the Class B Legion Season this upcoming season? i just want to get it clear??
winners&losers

Postby Tigger » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:46 pm

they are out of class b. any team listed as class a with a junior team would be included in the junior league. i never take the list on the legion website as being complete because it never is.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby larrybird33 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:12 pm

I gotta tell you, I don't like this one bit. I played for one of these junior teams awhile back as a 15 year old and I loved it. We saved a few miles of travel, we got a taste of small town ND life, and we got to play against some talented 17 and 18 year olds for the first time. I thought it was a great way of preparing us for class A legion ball.

I guess I can understand people wanting the junior teams out because they are not 'true' class B teams. I just didn't think there was a problem with these junior teams. They were competitive (which is what you want), but they weren't dominant.

But what's the deal with the 7 team state tournament? Does the host team get in to make it 8, or are they going to play with 7?
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan7 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:17 pm

larrybird33 wrote:I gotta tell you, I don't like this one bit. I played for one of these junior teams awhile back as a 15 year old and I loved it. We saved a few miles of travel, we got a taste of small town ND life, and we got to play against some talented 17 and 18 year olds for the first time. I thought it was a great way of preparing us for class A legion ball.

I guess I can understand people wanting the junior teams out because they are not 'true' class B teams. I just didn't think there was a problem with these junior teams. They were competitive (which is what you want), but they weren't dominant.

But what's the deal with the 7 team state tournament? Does the host team get in to make it 8, or are they going to play with 7?

Im guessing that the host team will make it 8. Im just wondering what will happen if the host team wins the region then who do they take to make it 8.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby larrybird33 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:22 pm

IF the host team is in, I assume that they would take the #2 team out of that same section to become the 8th team.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Class B