2007 pitching

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:14 am

Is there any other pitchers in Region 2 you would put up there to match up with the Kjemhus's? Or are Aaron and Tyler going to completely dominate the region's pitching?
thunderbaseball_38

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:59 am

who knows if aaron will even pitch this year? trust me thomspon will not dominate in part of their game. They have a good team, that's it.
PA42

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:17 am

How about Nichols from Dakota Prairie? I have not seen him pitch but I read in an article in the Grand Forks Herald that baseball was his best sport.

He is 6'5 and can really throw the football, my guess is that he would be a power pitcher.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:21 am

he didn't impress me. not a bad pitcher just young. a very good athlete and baseball player who i think will eventually be a very good pitcher.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:25 am

Nichols didn't impress me that much as a pitcher either. He seemed to play other positions alot better. His bat is pretty good too, but he isn't that great of a pitcher.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:33 am

Does he have controll problems and just try to throw strikes?

It seems like taller players throw with their arms until they gain some confidnece and really start using their legs.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:41 am

He threw strikes, with decent speed. Nothing great. He does throw alot with his arm. He has a decent curveball that he can backdoor or get you to chase, but it is easy to pick up.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby cash » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:40 pm

So, lets hear who you people think is in the top ten, there's a lot of good pitchers out there, but which ones do you think have the best shot at playing at the next level...college/pro
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:12 am

Here is who I would put in the top 10. I got them from who I think would have the best chance at playing somewhere in college, not just who is the best as of this year.

1. Anthony Kilinske... Grafton

2. Tanner Lorenz... Harvey

3. Clay Callias... Bishop Ryan

4. Brooks Backes... Bishop Ryan

5. Ben Watkins... Lamoure

6. Tyler Kjemhus... Thompson

7. Jake Cooley... Thompson (give him another year and you'll see why)

8. Andrew Mikkelson... Central Valley

9. Seth Nichols... Dakota Prairie ( I said before he isn't an outstanding pitcher, but he is only a junior, he could step it up.)

10. Jacob Narloch... Minto
thunderbaseball_38

Postby you_dont_know_me » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:22 am

I dont know if you have heard of this natural talent called, TONY LENZ!! ok people, he is the greatest pitcher to come through hatton-northwood!  No other pitcher is close!
you_dont_know_me
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:22 am

thunderbaseball_38 wrote:Here is who I would put in the top 10. I got them from who I think would have the best chance at playing somewhere in college, not just who is the best as of this year.

9. Seth Nichols... Dakota Prairie ( I said before he isn't an outstanding pitcher, but he is only a junior, he could step it up.)

Mark Bakkum.......3 hits, 1 run in 12 innings at state against Midkota and Langdon?  if Nichols isnt an outstanding pitcher why would you put him there above a guy who has already proved himself worthy of top 10.  im not saying he's the best, because he's not IMO but top 10 worthy i believe.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:32 am

baseball wrote:
thunderbaseball_38 wrote:Here is who I would put in the top 10. I got them from who I think would have the best chance at playing somewhere in college, not just who is the best as of this year.

Mark Bakkum.......3 hits, 1 run in 12 innings at state against Midkota and Langdon?  if Nichols isnt an outstanding pitcher why would you put him there above a guy who has already proved himself worthy of top 10.  im not saying he's the best, because he's not IMO but top 10 worthy i believe.

He is a junior. He can pitch, he has had success pitching. In my opinion he was not outstanding. He still has this year and next year to get better. He is a hardworker in all sports, I am sure he will work as hard as he can to be a better pitcher. He has a great pitching frame, and a great mind for pitching. After the 08' season, I think he will have proved himself to be able to play at the college level. I put in the beginning I think these pitchers have the best chance at playing college, I didn't say they were the best as of right now. Bakkum is very good, and if I made it top 11 or 12, he'd be there. IMO
thunderbaseball_38

Postby bison_18 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:25 pm

I think both the Kjemhus brothers are in the top 5. They have very good arms and good stuff.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:41 pm

i probably would not put cooley or mikkelson on that list. like you said give cooley a year, he's going to be good. i don't see mikelson being much better than average.
PA42

Postby magic715 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:27 pm

Well just to put in my 2 bits, i dont know all the pitchers at all in the state, but i am sure there are a few we dont know about that maybe were on poor teams or they were the only pitcher on the team,  and didnt make it anywhere. But I would have to say Klinske is my #1 , and potential wise yes i believe Lorenz is #2, then i would believe Bakkum would have to be up there, the a kid with a ton of potential but not alot of size is Brooks Backes and i also believe Clay Kallias is or will be even or ahead of Backes by the time he graduates, cause Kallias is more driven in baseball than Backes. Kjelmhus or the Kjelmhus' dont know alot about them, is one better than the other? But at least one of them probably belongs there. Cant comment on the others, i am pretty sure i saw Watkins, but i dont remember what he looked like pitching. Alot of potential on guys is how good are there mechanics not if they are getting people out now, if u dont have good mechanics u wont make it at any college as a pitcher.
magic715

Postby cash » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:30 pm

magic715 wrote:

Well just to put in my 2 bits, i dont know all the pitchers at all in the state, but i am sure there are a few we dont know about that maybe were on poor teams or they were the only pitcher on the team,  and didnt make it anywhere. But I would have to say Klinske is my #1 , and potential wise yes i believe Lorenz is #2, then i would believe Bakkum would have to be up there, the a kid with a ton of potential but not alot of size is Brooks Backes and i also believe Clay Kallias is or will be even or ahead of Backes by the time he graduates, cause Kallias is more driven in baseball than Backes. Kjelmhus or the Kjelmhus' dont know alot about them, is one better than the other? But at least one of them probably belongs there. Cant comment on the others, i am pretty sure i saw Watkins, but i dont remember what he looked like pitching. Alot of potential on guys is how good are there mechanics not if they are getting people out now, if u dont have good mechanics u wont make it at any college as a pitcher.
you gotta believe the top 2 have good mechanics, they both throw 90 mph :D
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfootball06 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:17 am

i really dont see how narloch made this list.  does anybody have anything that can back him being on it?
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:24 am

i saw him pitch last season, he's kind of sneaky. not the hardest thrower, but does have a nice curvbvall. if you want to talk about sneaky curveballs last season, tommy sitzer had a great slow curveball. i wouldn't put narloch on my top ten.
Last edited by PA42 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:02 pm

horne98 wrote:i saw him pitch last season, he's kind of sneaky. not the hardest thrower, but does have a nice curvbvall. if you want to talk about sneaky curveballs last season, tommy sitzer had a great slow curveball. i wouldn't put narloch on my top ten.

He is very sneaky, and he doesn't throw slow. He throws pretty hard, and it has some movement. He is pretty accurate on his fastball and his duece.. Thomas Sitzer was really easy to pick up, you could see the curve right out of his hand.. and instead of criticizing my top 10, why doesn't someone else put on their top 10? All I have seen written on this is people saying who shouldn't be on there.. Lets see someone else's top 10?
thunderbaseball_38

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Ben Holen- Lamoure

Aaron Kjemus- Thompson

Nick Tollefson- Lamoure

Mark Backum- Steel-Dawson

As far as Narloch all four of the above guys would belong on the list above him and probably several others. He is definately a good player but not in a top 10 list. He doesnt hit as well as his older brother Tyler and doesnt snif his oldest brother Brett on the mound. 85 left handed and a breaking ball gets you alot of strikeouts (100 his last year of legion I heard). Dont get me wrong he is a solid player but if you are talking potential for players who could play college I would put Mozinski over him on his same legion team.

As far as seeing Sitzer's curveball early was that when he pitched left handed or right handed? :D
Last edited by InTheKnow on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby pro341 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:06 am

cash wrote:
magic715 wrote:

you gotta believe the top 2 have good mechanics, they both throw 90 mph :D

All you East guys completely forgot about Misek from Turtle Lake. He's a Senior this year and will dominate again. Plus, he's already visited a top ND college and been offered a scholarship. I know that the baseball world in ND revolves around Thompson but the West has some athletes too.
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby coachk » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:46 am

I have to lean towards cash's reply. I see alot of baseball throughout the state as a retired or just tired coach. There are alot of teams in the state that have some outstanding pitchers that are probably better than the ones mentioned not to take credit away from those who are. Those not mentioned are probably on teams that have only one or two good to great players thus not getting the media attention. There is a kid from Oakes that I saw last year that was I felt probably one of the better ones i have seen in the state last year. I also saw a big kid from Galchutt who threw quit well and very fast. not a 90 mph (which is very very rare) but am quessing in the low 80's which is a quality pitcher. I can't believe but not saying it is'nt true that the pitchers talked about in this forum throw in the 90's. I have been around baseball long enough to see 90 mph and really haven't seen many players who do. Don't go off of radar guns as most of the ones you purchase are not accurate or go by what someone is guessing.
coachk

Postby coachk » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:52 am

I did see a kid from Turtle Lake this past summer can't remember his name but I thought he threw quit well. Could have been the player you mentioned.
coachk

Postby pro341 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:29 am

coachk wrote:I did see a kid from Turtle Lake this past summer can't remember his name but I thought he threw quit well. Could have been the player you mentioned.

Coach, I am sure you saw Jeremy Misek pitch, all the other TL pitchers are average at best. Misek has a mid-high 80s fastball, a plus curve and a plus-plus cutter. He has also been working on a straight change this offseason that will compliment his fastball. He only had one loss in each of the High School and Region seasons. Unfortunately, his loss in high school was in districts and his region loss was in the first game of the state tourny against LaMoure. A game which he pitched pretty well but was the victim of some seeing eye hits and poor defense behind him.

He may not be in the top ten in the state as far as pure stuff, but his mechanics, baseball sense and fundamentals put him right up there. If you get a chance to see him throw this year, take it!
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfootball06 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:22 am

coachk wrote:I have to lean towards cash's reply. I see alot of baseball throughout the state as a retired or just tired coach. There are alot of teams in the state that have some outstanding pitchers that are probably better than the ones mentioned not to take credit away from those who are. Those not mentioned are probably on teams that have only one or two good to great players thus not getting the media attention. There is a kid from Oakes that I saw last year that was I felt probably one of the better ones i have seen in the state last year. I also saw a big kid from Galchutt who threw quit well and very fast. not a 90 mph (which is very very rare) but am quessing in the low 80's which is a quality pitcher. I can't believe but not saying it is'nt true that the pitchers talked about in this forum throw in the 90's. I have been around baseball long enough to see 90 mph and really haven't seen many players who do. Don't go off of radar guns as most of the ones you purchase are not accurate or go by what someone is guessing.
Last edited by ndfootball06 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Class B