Velva Baseball Team

Velva Baseball Team

Postby winners&losers » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Does the velva highschool/legion teams even have coaches yet??
winners&losers

Re: Velva Baseball Team

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:58 pm

winners&losers wrote:Does the velva highschool/legion teams even have coaches yet??

Last year they Legion was coached by Travis Bruner, not Thingstad.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby thatguy422 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:43 pm

I sort of assumed that Travis Bruner would take over. I really have no reason to think this except for the fact that he coached legion.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:54 am

Thingstad coached babe ruth last summer. I assume he did this so he could coach his son.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:17 am

havent really heard anything about this situation. did Thingstad hang it up or is he coaching someplace else. Its wierd for me to think Velva baseball and not see Thingstad in the dugout.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:31 am

cubsfan wrote:Thingstad coached babe ruth last summer. I assume he did this so he could coach his son.

He actually didn't coach Babe Ruth last summer. He was just helping out during the state tournament when Bruner was at State Legion. Once he got back, Bruner was the head coach.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:32 am

baseball wrote:havent really heard anything about this situation. did Thingstad hang it up or is he coaching someplace else. Its wierd for me to think Velva baseball and not see Thingstad in the dugout.

He has been accused of some heavy violations.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby thatguy422 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:59 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
baseball wrote:havent really heard anything about this situation. did Thingstad hang it up or is he coaching someplace else. Its wierd for me to think Velva baseball and not see Thingstad in the dugout.

He has been accused of some heavy violations.

Ya that's what I heard too
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lovwatchingsports » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

couldn't be too heavy, he sued the school and won. He retired from teaching by buying off his remaining years.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Mullet » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:21 pm

What can I say....Velve will dominate?
The Mullet
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:07 pm

The Mullet wrote:What can I say....Velve will dominate?

Dominate? I'm not sure about that. They lost a lot of players from last years team. Although so did everybody else in the region, so I'm sure they will be the favorite. But I don't see them "dominating."
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:27 pm

The last team to "Dominate" class b baseball was Thompson when they beat every team at the state tournament by 15 runs or more.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mrm » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:34 am

pakkyzoo wrote:He actually didn't coach Babe Ruth last summer. He was just helping out during the state tournament when Bruner was at State Legion. Once he got back, Bruner was the head coach.

I wasn't at the State tournament, so I'm not sure what they did at that tournament. Thingstad coached the babe ruth team through the summer at the league games so he could coach his son. He also coached them through the district tournament. Bruner coached the legion.
mrm
NDPreps Reserve

Postby uconn_8 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:34 pm

cubsfan wrote:

The last team to "Dominate" class b baseball was Thompson when they beat every team at the state tournament by 15 runs or more.

They did play out of their minds for the high school tournament in 2005. Didn't quite dominate at the legion tournament with the addition of a couple 19 yr olds i believe.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Gene Buen will coach Velva this year. He was the coach for many years prior to Thingstad. Buen is the one who led Velva to every state chamionship that the school has ever won. Thingstad was let go from the school over some small school politics issues, which whether or not they were legit I wouldn't know or care to speculate. I know he is working as an assistant manager at a grain elevator near Velva and when I talked with him he seemed to be enjoying it. I don't believe there was a lawsuit only the school paying him for the remaining years on his contract. Thingstad is one heck of a nice guy in my opinion and the only thing that will help the program this year is the fact that they are being coached by a guy who has been in the system and like I said above should be able to help the team improve throughout the year. Last years team had actually beat Minot Ryan prior to the state tournament ( don't know for sure) but those wins really don't matter when it comes to the state tournament. Look for Velva to return to the state tournament. How much they improve throughout the year will be the deciding factor as to how much noise they make if they get there. Any team that can put together some hits, and decent defense will have a good chance of making a good showing at the state tournament..... it's only three games so anything can happen.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:11 pm

I have heard that Velva has some very good pitching this year but no defense behind them. Any truth to this? Haven't heard anything about the sticks.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby A - Football Fan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Velva got beat pretty good by Minot Ryan in their first game of the year 5-1 and 10-0. Ryan had a one hitter in the first game and two hitter in the second. Only room to improve from there but I still think they will make those adjustments and improve to a real contender. But then again maybe I am a little biased.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:32 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:Velva got beat pretty good by Minot Ryan in their first game of the year 5-1 and 10-0. Ryan had a one hitter in the first game and two hitter in the second. Only room to improve from there but I still think they will make those adjustments and improve to a real contender. But then again maybe I am a little biased.

Well Surrey would probably be their top region contender correct? And Bishop Ryan beat down Surrey pretty good on Thursday too, so maybe Ryan is just playing well( they are the favorite for state).
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Class B