How will region 2 baseball end up?

Re: How will region 2 baseball end up?

Postby baseball » Fri May 21, 2010 11:35 pm

cubsfan wrote: My hats off to Brandon Weber. He pitched all 11 innings. He might have thrown over 200 pitches.

Too much.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Sat May 22, 2010 12:50 am

baseball wrote:
cubsfan wrote: My hats off to Brandon Weber. He pitched all 11 innings. He might have thrown over 200 pitches.

Too much.

I wouldn't say might have, I would say guaranteed.

If you count just the outs (33) and runs (10), thats a minimum 43 batters. If he throws on average 4 pitches per batter thats 172 pitches right there which is probably low. That doesnt include hitters who reached on errors or walks. If you throw a 100 pitch perfect game (21 outs) thats 4.7 pitches per hitter which puts him at 202 with just the 43 batters.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby thatguy422 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:34 am

Good way to blow an arm out.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ltownheroes » Sat May 22, 2010 7:36 am

InTheKnow wrote:
baseball wrote:

Too much.

I wouldn't say might have, I would say guaranteed.

If you count just the outs (33) and runs (10), thats a minimum 43 batters. If he throws on average 4 pitches per batter thats 172 pitches right there which is probably low. That doesnt include hitters who reached on errors or walks. If you throw a 100 pitch perfect game (21 outs) thats 4.7 pitches per hitter which puts him at 202 with just the 43 batters.

also heard he had 8 walks. thats an extra 32 pitches right there. maybe brantel is like nolan ryan and doesn't believe in pitch count
ltownheroes
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Sat May 22, 2010 9:06 am

He faced 63 total batters. MPCG left 20 guys on base. He also had a lot of full counts. They had 14 hits and Thompson had 4 errors. Thompson left the bases loaded in the first two innings without getting a run. It was a great game to watch.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball1402 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:11 pm

What are people's thought's on Larimore vs Mayville? Mayville beat them pretty good both times they played about a week ago. Will it be the same? I'm thinking mayvilles bats are to hott right now and larimore already pitched Quinn 7 innings which he still has 5 to go but they're going to need to find another arm. Can Parsons shut out mayville like he did to Minto? There's a lot of questions going into this game. Mayville used a lot of pitchers but they still have a lot left. Ust threw 6, Ingebretson threw 6, Fugleburg threw 5 or 6, Berry only threw 1 inning which could help them if he throw a good ball game, and Elliot has yet to throw so they have the better depth in pitching i think and im guessing they come out of the region as the champions!
baseball1402
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:39 pm

cubsfan wrote:He faced 63 total batters. MPCG left 20 guys on base. He also had a lot of full counts. They had 14 hits and Thompson had 4 errors. Thompson left the bases loaded in the first two innings without getting a run. It was a great game to watch.

So if he had 202 at 43, sould we say he had about 300 at 63?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Indy5 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:He faced 63 total batters. MPCG left 20 guys on base. He also had a lot of full counts. They had 14 hits and Thompson had 4 errors. Thompson left the bases loaded in the first two innings without getting a run. It was a great game to watch.

200 in bad enough...but when there is question about if a kid threw more or less than 300 pitches i would have no problem with that coach being run out of town.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sat May 22, 2010 3:59 pm

baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

200 in bad enough...but when there is question about if a kid threw more or less than 300 pitches i would have no problem with that coach being run out of town.

The kid honestly pitched all 11 innings and faced 63 batters? wow.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:39 pm

baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Thats a little extreme don't you think?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sat May 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Indy5 wrote:
baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Thats a little extreme don't you think?

I don't think that would be extreme enough. I'm assuming since the kid is from thompson he's probably pretty good (they've always had good baseball players) and a coach leaving a kid out there throwing in excess of 200 pitches with all of the legislation limiting pitch counts in the younger leagues of baseball, some serious injury could have happened
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat May 22, 2010 9:15 pm

How old is this pitcher? throwing a 16-18 year old arm upwards of 300 pitches has no excuse. throwing any arm that many pitches as no excuse. if the kid has any competative bones in his body he will say hes ok..there comes a point, no matter how good hes pitching, the coach has to step in and say "you're done"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Schwab and baseball, you both have very solid points and I don't agree with what the coach did, but we're talking about costing a man his job over it? This isn't the pros or D1 where a coach can get fired and then easily find another job somewhere.

I would love to know if someone had the pitch count. Anyone from Thompson that could fill us in? I know a lot of teams keep track of pitch count, so people around Thompson probably know what it was exactly.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 pm

I believe the kid is 18 years old. He is a senior this year. And there is no way that Thompson's head coach will be fired. He has over 500 career wins.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun May 23, 2010 4:15 pm

cubsfan wrote:I believe the kid is 18 years old. He is a senior this year. And there is no way that Thompson's head coach will be fired. He has over 500 career wins.

So as long as he keeps getting wins, who cares what potential damage he causes the kids' futures? I'm not saying he should be fired, I'm jsut saying if he was i would have no problem with it what so ever.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ltownheroes » Sun May 23, 2010 5:59 pm

baseball1402 wrote:What are people's thought's on Larimore vs Mayville? Mayville beat them pretty good both times they played about a week ago. Will it be the same? I'm thinking mayvilles bats are to hott right now and larimore already pitched Quinn 7 innings which he still has 5 to go but they're going to need to find another arm. Can Parsons shut out mayville like he did to Minto? There's a lot of questions going into this game. Mayville used a lot of pitchers but they still have a lot left. Ust threw 6, Ingebretson threw 6, Fugleburg threw 5 or 6, Berry only threw 1 inning which could help them if he throw a good ball game, and Elliot has yet to throw so they have the better depth in pitching i think and im guessing they come out of the region as the champions!

believe pitchers can go 14 as not a consecutive 3 day tournament... if so i'd say larimore has chance- expect quinn to only pitch monday if they lose first game and have to win due to an apparent elbow injury from earlier in year
ltownheroes
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Sun May 23, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm sure this isn't the first controversy in Thompson over the baseball coach, I could be wrong.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Mon May 24, 2010 9:14 am

The Schwab wrote:I'm sure this isn't the first controversy in Thompson over the baseball coach, I could be wrong.

Its not. He has not been the Legion coach for a while for various reasons that I can not remember at the moment.

You mentioned earlier that some serious injuries could have happened... They may very well have but wont be noticed right away. Most major arm injuries that result in surgery are not just from one 300 pitch outing but from multiple similar situations or continuing to pitch with pain after a similar outing. He may be well on his way to blowing out his arm. It may not happen until later, but may have started from this game.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon May 24, 2010 1:30 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I'm sure this isn't the first controversy in Thompson over the baseball coach, I could be wrong.

Its not. He has not been the Legion coach for a while for various reasons that I can not remember at the moment.

You mentioned earlier that some serious injuries could have happened... They may very well have but wont be noticed right away. Most major arm injuries that result in surgery are not just from one 300 pitch outing but from multiple similar situations or continuing to pitch with pain after a similar outing. He may be well on his way to blowing out his arm. It may not happen until later, but may have started from this game.

If he is 18 and is that genetically gifted he will be just fine....you guys make it sound like keeping you arm around your girlfriend to long could cause some long term issues.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon May 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Winner, winner, winner...you really don't think that 200-300 pitches is a bit much? Baseball minds better than yours or mine would call this insanity.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby web17 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Indy5 wrote:Schwab and baseball, you both have very solid points and I don't agree with what the coach did, but we're talking about costing a man his job over it? This isn't the pros or D1 where a coach can get fired and then easily find another job somewhere.

I would love to know if someone had the pitch count. Anyone from Thompson that could fill us in? I know a lot of teams keep track of pitch count, so people around Thompson probably know what it was exactly.

finished somewhere near 240 pitches. battled every hitter for 11 innings. mayville didnt get anything easy. walked a few too many guys. no arm pain during or after the game. brantl is one of the best coaches in the state, pretty hard to second guess him.
web17
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon May 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Hinsa wrote:Winner, winner, winner...you really don't think that 200-300 pitches is a bit much? Baseball minds better than yours or mine would call this insanity.

well chances are he wont make the minors... or get close to the majors and he sounds like he has enough strength to go around, which will take him trough college (with much more rest time and better trainers) then he will be done. I think 200-300 pitches for a 16 year old kid that is still developing is to much but then that kid would have wore out anyway before he arrived at that many pitches. If he's fresh, pitch him...If its back to back he isn't going to perform anyway. Bottom line is make sure he rest and heals before he does it again.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 pm

web17 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:Schwab and baseball, you both have very solid points and I don't agree with what the coach did, but we're talking about costing a man his job over it? This isn't the pros or D1 where a coach can get fired and then easily find another job somewhere.

finished somewhere near 240 pitches. battled every hitter for 11 innings. mayville didnt get anything easy. walked a few too many guys. no arm pain during or after the game. brantl is one of the best coaches in the state, pretty hard to second guess him.

Brandon Weber threw this game, huh? And what do we have hear? Someone tagged web17 telling us his pitch count and arm pain. Also key factor is backing the head coach. Now, I'm no detective, but I think this adds up to one thing.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon May 24, 2010 7:32 pm

web17 wrote:

Letting a kid throw "near 240 pitches" is enough info to second guess him. its differnent when you second guess strategical aspects of the game and second guessing how he uses players.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

winner-within wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Winner, winner, winner...you really don't think that 200-300 pitches is a bit much? Baseball minds better than yours or mine would call this insanity.

well chances are he wont make the minors... or get close to the majors and he sounds like he has enough strength to go around, which will take him trough college (with much more rest time and better trainers) then he will be done. I think 200-300 pitches for a 16 year old kid that is still developing is to much but then that kid would have wore out anyway before he arrived at that many pitches. If he's fresh, pitch him...If its back to back he isn't going to perform anyway. Bottom line is make sure he rest and heals before he does it again.

So how come when CC throws over 120 pitches he is a "workhorse" and "more than a man, less than a god". But you don't see any wrong with a high school kid throwing double that amount. I'm not worried about the outcome of the game, more worried about the young mans well being. High school sports injuries that you think are "worth it" at the time are not worth it 10 years down the road.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Class B