East-West Legion All-Star Game

East-West Legion All-Star Game

Postby Tigger » Fri May 29, 2009 8:11 am

Minot Metros coach Travis Smith will head the Class B West team. He will be joined by his assistant Jordan King and Burlington coach Brock Weppler.

The Class B East team will be coached by Scott Radloff of state champion Casselton. He will be assisted by Brent Nelson of Casselton and Mark Frost of Hope-Finley.

Class B West: Ryan Koch, Ben Maliske, Levi Lawson, all of Beulah; Jordan Rubbelke, Kris Winkles, Ben Magnuson, Eric Merck, all of Minot Metros; Mason Schiff, Grant Dvorak, Dickinson Volunteers; Kevin Sanford, Watford City; Jerad Jacobsen, Hettinger; Tanner Borlaug, Hazen; Cole Bender, Washburn.

Class B East: John Thorson, Eric Parkman, both of Hope-Finley; Beau Sinner, Brandon Rust, Jack Wilcox, Mike Rose, Jacob Mogen, Sam Schumacher, all of Casselton. Alex Martinez, Grafton; Ben Strand, Tyler Bilden, both of Hatton; Riley Beck, Travis Beck, both of Munich.

Any thoughts? I noticed that section 3 has 10 of the 13 east players.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: East-West Legion All-Star Game

Postby InTheKnow » Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 am

So we have 6 players from class A towns in a Class B All-Star Game and 6 players from just one team?

Someone needs to get a hold of this thing and make it a true ALL-STAR game for CLASS B. My guess is the class A one wont be much better.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Fri May 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Sounds like this all-star game is pretty much a private party for a few schools. And Class A kids in a "B" all-star game? Taking away spots from real class B kids?

I agree, someone needs to get hold of this thing and make it a true all-start game. 6 players from Casselton?????? Get real....
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tigger » Fri May 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Casselton did win the state title. I'll admit maybe they should have about 2 less. I'm guessing the coaches have some control over their rosters. Metros coach picked up 6 class A kids, and Cass coach takes six of his own.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Fri May 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Do the coaches pick their own teams for the Lions basketball games and the Shrine Football games or a committee? I am pretty sure a committee as it should be for baseball as well. I dont have a problem with a couple 3-4 representatives from one team but with a roster of only 13 players there are only 5 teams that are represented. I'm sorry but that just doesn't cut it.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby thatguy422 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:49 am

This is ridiculous. I don't believe Ben Magnuson even started for the Metros. They pitched him but I don't believe he started on a regular basis.

Besides that, just as everyone else is stating, hardly any teams are represented.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Sat May 30, 2009 9:15 am

This needs to become a high school all star game and not legion like the Minnesota Lions All-Star Series. Selections can be made at the conclusion of the immediate season. It would be a considerable upgrade to this game.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/comm ... nament.jsp
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball4life » Sat May 30, 2009 9:47 am

thatguy422 wrote:This is ridiculous. I don't believe Ben Magnuson even started for the Metros. They pitched him but I don't believe he started on a regular basis.

Besides that, just as everyone else is stating, hardly any teams are represented.

Easy there.... just because he made it and one of your surrey buddies didn't make it you are angry. Maybe they are taking him with strictly for pitching.

And i am pretty sure he was a full time starter for the metros. I remember him playing first base or outfield everytime i watched them play, which happened to be about 50 percent of their games.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thatguy422 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:47 am

baseball4life wrote:
thatguy422 wrote:This is ridiculous. I don't believe Ben Magnuson even started for the Metros. They pitched him but I don't believe he started on a regular basis.

Easy there.... just because he made it and one of your surrey buddies didn't make it you are angry. Maybe they are taking him with strictly for pitching.

And i am pretty sure he was a full time starter for the metros. I remember him playing first base or outfield everytime i watched them play, which happened to be about 50 percent of their games.

It's not that nobody from Surrey made it. There's plenty of athletes from a lot of teams that didn't get chosen.

Sorry for the personal attack on Ben, but he was the only one from the list that I had heard of that I don't see as an above average player. I mean is he really more deserving than say, Josh Weidler? Trenton Bruner? There's many other athletes that I feel are more deserving than he is.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dewey11 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:38 am

The class B roster is an absolute joke!!! 8 Kids from Section 8!!! How do these rosters get picked? However they do, the system needs to be revamped. How did someone from Hettinger make it???
dewey11
NDPreps Starter

Postby eggman » Sun May 31, 2009 8:23 pm

dewey11 wrote:The class B roster is an absolute joke!!! 8 Kids from Section 8!!! How do these rosters get picked? However they do, the system needs to be revamped. How did someone from Hettinger make it???

I don't know anything about hettinger but if that remark is not sarcasm i would assume they are a bad team but even if they are, they can still have a good player
eggman

Postby hotball » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:40 am

The head coach of the East and West team gets to pick the team. I think it is very evident looking at the West team that Travis Smith was the one who picked the team. No idea how he went about doing it. Look at a couple players that didnt make the team: Weidler, Trenton Burner, Caleb Costello. They all played last year for the West, but not this year?? What is with that? Also there should be somewhat close to an even representation of all the sections in the game. I understand that once in a while, a one section may be stronger, so they might have one one or two more players than other sections. Look at the West team last summer. They had a team that was about as even as it could get for representation of the sections. A couple sections had three picks and a few sections had 2 picks, that is the way it should be done. Also there were no Metro's or another other kids from the A town teams, that play on the lower team. I beleive this is the right way to do it. Rubbelke will be playing with the Vistas all summer and played with them (as well as the metros) last summer. If he is so good, why is he not on the "A" West roster. This is not right and if this keeps up it will lead to getting rid of the "B" game. That would be very unfortunate. The kis from the Metro' and some of the other lower level "A" teams will have their chance if they are good enough to play with the "A" East West. Not right and something needs to change.
I feel sorry for some of the good ball players that are Seniors that are not getting a chance to play in this game, because there were certainly some that were worty of it and should be on the team.
hotball
NDPreps Rookie

Postby the freak » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:47 pm

wher is seth nichols for the east team????? from what iv seen he is 2 or 3 times the player as either of the beck brothers???
the freak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby spoilers23 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:20 pm

the freak wrote:wher is seth nichols for the east team????? from what iv seen he is 2 or 3 times the player as either of the beck brothers???

Riley and Bubba Martinez are the best players on the East team. And Travis isn't far behind. Anybody see the home run he hit against Grafton at state? Wow. So don't call out either of the Becks. Nobody should be called out but maybe take a look at half the team being from Casselton. I've heard of two of them, and think one should've made the squad.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic.
spoilers23
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Hey Spoiler23, still can't deny that Seth Nichols from Nelson County should be in the All Star game. He was probably the top high school player in the state last year. Just because he chose to play college football over baseball doesn't mean he should be left off the team.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfootball06 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:35 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:Hey Spoiler23, still can't deny that Seth Nichols from Nelson County should be in the All Star game. He was probably the top high school player in the state last year. Just because he chose to play college football over baseball doesn't mean he should be left off the team.

Hahahaha. Best player in the state? Get real man. Good hitter, decent pitcher, tops out at probably 83. I'd go as far as saying he'd be top 5 in the state this year, but number 1 last year, not a chance. Kliniske almost broke the single season strikeouts/game record at NDSU this past year.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:24 pm

ndfootball06 wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:Hey Spoiler23, still can't deny that Seth Nichols from Nelson County should be in the All Star game. He was probably the top high school player in the state last year. Just because he chose to play college football over baseball doesn't mean he should be left off the team.

Hahahaha. Best player in the state? Get real man. Good hitter, decent pitcher, tops out at probably 83. I'd go as far as saying he'd be top 5 in the state this year, but number 1 last year, not a chance. Kliniske almost broke the single season strikeouts/game record at NDSU this past year.

Don't get me wrong. Kliniskie is a great player, but overall player. I'd take Nichols over him. Nichols would of played outfield in college, not pitched. He had a chance to go to Iowa Western and other colleges like that, but decided to play football. Can't take nothing from him for that. I am just saying Nichols hit in the 600 hit around 8 bombs and had like 40 RBI's his senior year. I'd be willing to say he can throw harder than 83, but I don't think he can stay over 83 consistently.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfootball06 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
ndfootball06 wrote:

Don't get me wrong. Kliniskie is a great player, but overall player. I'd take Nichols over him. Nichols would of played outfield in college, not pitched. He had a chance to go to Iowa Western and other colleges like that, but decided to play football. Can't take nothing from him for that. I am just saying Nichols hit in the 600 hit around 8 bombs and had like 40 RBI's his senior year. I'd be willing to say he can throw harder than 83, but I don't think he can stay over 83 consistently.

dp enters the state tourney undefeated and comes close to taking 8th. they play a weak schedule, they're stats are not what they'd be if they played in a better region. ak pitched against oral roberts and wichita state to name two. nichols beat grafton first round last year but grafton has choked every year in the first round for three years in a row. and if my memory serves me correct grafton put a hurtin on dp in legion the previous summer like 4 times. so if you're a major league scout you take nichol's .600 avg in a creampuff region or kliniske's 90-93 mph fastball? i'm not sure how well ak hit at su but i know he was dh'ing for a while as well. Nothing at all against nichols, but don't compare apples and oranges.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tigger » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 am

Coaches Radloff and Smith were only able to pick from players who were nominated by coaches from around the state, so all the blame may not rest with them.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfootball06 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

how did he do at last years all star game? didn't he make a blowout a close game?
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby spoilers23 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 am

Never once did I say he didn't deserve to be on the team. I was talking about the Becks.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic.
spoilers23
NDPreps Starter

Postby whompa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 pm

If all of these guys should be on the Class B East team who should be taken off then?? There's no way to compensate for both of them..
whompa
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the freak » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:19 pm

ok i did not mean to make it sound like i was calling out the becks they r both pretty good players i was jus saying that wen i see nichols and i see him being a better player then both of the becks and they both made so shudnt he?
the freak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lackyforlife » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:02 pm

i disagree with you "the freak" on one part. i think that riley beck is a better player than nichols, nichols yes a better player than travis but not riley. i watched both nichols and riley play last year at state and riley is definently a better all around baseball player than nichols, dont get me wrong tho nichols is an excelent player himself, but i dont think he is quite the baseball player riley is.
lackyforlife
NDPreps Rookie

Postby lackyforlife » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:04 pm

so yes, i guess i agree with you that nichols no doubt should have made the team becasue i think that he is better than a majority of the players on the team
lackyforlife
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Class B