top 10 pitchers

Postby smart source » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 am

Spoiler92 wrote:Kliniske from Grafton brings the heat!

is that the tall kid? yea he is good
smart source

Postby region1 football » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:51 pm

how does lamoures holen and watkins rate amoung these guys...along with tollifson for legion.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby tadam6 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:46 pm

holen would probly be up there but watkins wouldn't...
tadam6

Postby baseball11 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:13 am

Spoiler92 wrote:Kliniske from Grafton brings the heat!

I'm guessing you're from Grafton, so do you know why he didnt start in the regional championship in high school?  Rumor was that his arm was sore, but then in the 4th inning he came in when you were behind and shut us (langdon) down.
baseball11

Postby bill » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:41 pm

jay marion from dunseith is a pretty good pitcher and his brother jake was really good but he never got to play on a good team.........i cant remember who the played but the only played 4 innings because they were losing so bad but jake had all 12 outs and they were all strikeouts
bill
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cash » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:44 pm

bill wrote:jay marion from dunseith is a pretty good pitcher and his brother jake was really good but he never got to play on a good team.........i cant remember who the played but the only played 4 innings because they were losing so bad but jake had all 12 outs and they were all strikeouts
i didnt even know dunseith had a high school team :D
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:14 pm

bill wrote:jay marion from dunseith is a pretty good pitcher and his brother jake was really good but he never got to play on a good team.........i cant remember who the played but the only played 4 innings because they were losing so bad but jake had all 12 outs and they were all strikeouts

how good can he be if he was pitching and they were gettin killed so bad they had to quit????
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sodadrinker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:16 pm

baseball wrote:

how good can he be if he was pitching and they were gettin killed so bad they had to quit????

ya ive been in a 7 inning game when our pitcher had 18 strike outs but the other team still hit him ok besides a few players
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby cash » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:18 pm

baseball wrote:

i remember steele vs harvey last year in legion in harvey, harveys pitcher had like 14 k's in 5 innings, and gave up like 10 unearned runs, 3 earned, so its possible
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fruit snack » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 am

cash wrote:
baseball wrote:

i remember steele vs harvey last year in legion in harvey, harveys pitcher had like 14 k's in 5 innings, and gave up like 10 unearned runs, 3 earned, so its possible

u wouldnt really remember all that unless u were the pitcher or if u sat on the bench and watched
fruit snack

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:45 am

fruit snack wrote:
cash wrote:
baseball wrote:

u wouldnt really remember all that unless u were the pitcher or if u sat on the bench and watched

yea he was the pitcher, my point isnt that the fielding is bad, but if they are great pitchers why is the ball in play that much for that many baserunners to score??  a guy could give up doubles and homeruns to 1-6 batters everytime and strikeout the 7-9 batters and get 15 k's in 5 innings and give up 29 runs but he's a great pitcher cuz he had 10+ k's??? just doesnt make sense.  a good pitcher not only strikes people out but doesnt allow them to get on base.
Last edited by baseball on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby experiencingtechnicaldiff » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:30 am

baseball wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
cash wrote:
baseball wrote:

yea he was the pitcher, my point isnt that the fielding is bad, but if they are great pitchers why is the ball in play that much for that many baserunners to score??  a guy could give up doubles and homeruns to 1-6 batters everytime and strikeout the 7-9 batters and get 15 k's in 5 innings and give up 29 runs but he's a great pitcher cuz he had 10+ k's??? just doesnt make sense.  a good pitcher not only strikes people out but doesnt allow them to get on base.

A wise man once said, "I became a great pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball, and started trying to make them hit it." Cliche use is not always fun to use but in this case it is ok because it makes sense. Great pitchers don't get outs only by strike outs, they use their defense. Keeping the defense in the game helps pitchers alot. I think the teams that have better defenses, have pitchers that are not overpowering, but they get the job done by putting the game in the defense's hands.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." -Red Auerbach
experiencingtechnicaldiff
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:38 am

experiencingtechnicaldifficulties wrote:
baseball wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
cash wrote:
baseball wrote:

A wise man once said, "I became a great pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball, and started trying to make them hit it." Cliche use is not always fun to use but in this case it is ok because it makes sense. Great pitchers don't get outs only by strike outs, they use their defense. Keeping the defense in the game helps pitchers alot. I think the teams that have better defenses, have pitchers that are not overpowering, but they get the job done by putting the game in the defense's hands.

i agree and thats kind of what im saying, but if you loook at the posts they make it sound like a pitcher is great just because he had 12-14 K's in a game
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby experiencingtechnicaldiff » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:46 am

I back you up 100% on that baseball.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." -Red Auerbach
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:47 am

experiencingtechnicaldifficulties wrote:I back you up 100% on that baseball.
Same here, I think some people pay too much attention to stats...One pitcher that comes to mind is Jamie Moyer, dosent strike out a lot of people, dosent walk a lot of people, throws 80 mph and still wins 15 games a year...thats a good pitcher, it's not all about the numbers!
baseball1981

Postby knights4 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 am

baseball1981 wrote:
Same here, I think some people pay too much attention to stats...One pitcher that comes to mind is Jamie Moyer, dosent strike out a lot of people, dosent walk a lot of people, throws 80 mph and still wins 15 games a year...thats a good pitcher, it's not all about the numbers!

True, same with Brad Radke
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:54 am

baseball1981 wrote:

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine.....as good now as when they were 25.  power pitchers e(Randy Johnson), except Roger Clemens, seem to lose the greatness as the years go on.  that wont happen in high school more then likely but its just a thought.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1981 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:01 am

baseball wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine.....as good now as when they were 25.  power pitchers e(Randy Johnson), except Roger Clemens, seem to lose the greatness as the years go on.  that wont happen in high school more then likely but its just a thought.
Two great examples with Glavine and Maddux, both had to adjust with the new strikezones and they both have lost mph, and gained control like crazy...It amazes me how these old pitchers can still get hitters out by just locating pitches well.
baseball1981

Postby ballaholic#3 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:18 pm

is this north dakota preps or discussion on former braves? just wonderding
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:28 pm

baseball1981 wrote:
baseball wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:

Two great examples with Glavine and Maddux, both had to adjust with the new strikezones and they both have lost mph, and gained control like crazy...It amazes me how these old pitchers can still get hitters out by just locating pitches well.

ballaholic#3...........which is why i said it doesnt happen in high school....but if you read the post and not just the names you would see i said you dont have to throw 95 to be great.  and some of the best pitchers arent the hardest throwers
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1981 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:04 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:is this north dakota preps or discussion on former braves? just wonderding
So we can't talk about great pitchers that have accomplished more than you will ever accomplish in your life? Pitchers that have earned their way into future hall of fame ballots and probably a spot in the hall of fame...Simply, we were stating that hard throwers are good, but a pitcher with good control like Maddux is just as good if not better.
baseball1981

Postby ballaholic#3 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:06 pm

baseball1981 wrote:
ballaholic#3 wrote:is this north dakota preps or discussion on former braves? just wonderding
So we can't talk about great pitchers that have accomplished more than you will ever accomplish in your life? Pitchers that have earned their way into future hall of fame ballots and probably a spot in the hall of fame...Simply, we were stating that hard throwers are good, but a pitcher with good control like Maddux is just as good if not better.

o i got no problem talking about hall of fame pitchers outside of this place but the last 4 quotes were strictly on major leaguers with no reference to ND athletes. and you point is valid on good control as long as its not over the plate.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:16 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:

o i got no problem talking about hall of fame pitchers outside of this place but the last 4 quotes were strictly on major leaguers with no reference to ND athletes. and you point is valid on good control as long as its not over the plate.
Who cares if were not talking about ND athletes?
baseball1981

Postby footballfanwatcher_99 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:19 pm

thats kinda the point of this web site though
footballfanwatcher_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby experiencingtechnicaldiff » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:06 am

ballaholic#3 wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:

I don't think there is a problem with the last couple of posts. It started out as a conversation on Pitchers in North Dakota, Glavine and Maddux were brought up to make a point, and they were mentioned more than once to get everything straightened out. The conversation would've got back on track after few posts.
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Class B