baseball going down

Postby 643master » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:20 pm

Im beginning to hate the year long training and practicing of basketball.  Baseball, track, golf, and football are taking a hit becuase of it.  what happened to playing the sport of the season. Just venting, anyway if anyone knows much about class b baseball, thompson and mayville had a rivalry similar to the yanks vs boston with thompson being the yanks, but always you could count on a heated game with emotions running very high.  Im thinking there are some other good rivalries out there.  washburn and beulah has to be a good one
"A somebody was once a nobody who wanted to and did." - Anonymous
643master
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 am

Basketball is not the only sport working out year round,  Football has always done it... they just call it Track... Volleyball has done the same thing with JO,  its just the sign of the times, if you dont work on your game in the off season you get left behind!   I agree that athletes should play the sport in season  but it just wont happen anymore.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:45 pm

I think Cavalier-Thompson had a nice little rivalry going for most part they would only meet in the state playoffs. Two of the most dominate in the state the last 7-8 years. Games were played very closely. Cavalier and St. Thomas is the rivalry up in that region, St.thomas had some good teams up there and just could never get past Cavalier.

I can see baseball going down in a way. Cavalier doesnt even have a Legion team anymore they had always struggled to get 9 guys together they would but thats about all they would bring to a game. I think playing high school and Legion can get to be very long for one season.
Last edited by ndfan on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby js2125 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am

I do believe that one sport does roll over another season at times. It is hard to counter that in small schools though. Kids play so many different sports what can you do. As for baseball rivalries, Steele-Dawson and Washburn battle it out year after year. I will say this, one of the best baseball games I ever saw was the state championship game between Steele-Dawson and Cavalier. If it weren't for the innings pitched rule, I believe Steele would have won that one!!!
js2125

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:05 pm

Steele-Dawson vs. Cavalier state championship game was the game where Trenbeath pitched 9 innings of baseball with a neck brace. That had to be one of the best high school performances i had ever seen. If you have depth at pitching you can do some damage in the state tourney. Cavalier proved it that year having Joe Contreas and Joey Kemp get them through first 2 games and Trenbeath finishing them off. Steele dawson didnt have the depth pitching and thats what lost it for them.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby js2125 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:51 am

I will agree, Trenbeath's performance was outstanding. Another factor that may have had an influence on the outcome of that game is look at the teams that those two had to go through the two previos nights. Cavalier's bracket was much weaker than the one Steele had to go through. Cavalier had the advantage of resting their ace for the championship game. Steele need to go to their studs to make it to the championship game and then ask them to pitch 5 and 3 innings that night. Central Cass and Thompson where no slouches. It brings up the question once again, should something like the state baseball tourney be re-seeded and not just match up regions?
js2125

Postby 643master » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 am

Select the teams by region. To be champ you have to beat the best, championship teams need to get by using their number three starter and come up with some offense during those games.  Most teams that make it to state have one ace that can completely shut down teams, big deal, its a team game and this also seperates the good coaches from the great coaches.  If you started seeding teams you could argue that certain teams from good regions were better then teams that made it to state that were from weaker regions.  Thats one great thing about baseball, you have to have a team to win not just two studs. 
643master
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bison_18 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:57 pm

643master wrote:Im beginning to hate the year long training and practicing of basketball.  Baseball, track, golf, and football are taking a hit becuase of it.  what happened to playing the sport of the season. Just venting, anyway if anyone knows much about class b baseball, thompson and mayville had a rivalry similar to the yanks vs boston with thompson being the yanks, but always you could count on a heated game with emotions running very high.  Im thinking there are some other good rivalries out there.  washburn and beulah has to be a good one

Yea, it seems as if most of the good basketball players aren't good at baseball(exception of henessey), to be one the top players in your region these days, you have to spend you whole summer goin to bb camps and playing everday. If you play baseball, it makes that very difficult to do.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby timmyg » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:20 pm

The Thompson-MayPort CG rivalry was everything the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry was and more.  MPCG and Thompson were always the two teams competing in the Region championship game from 1999-2004.  Every time the two teams played each other, emotions ran wild.  Beating the other team would essentially be the highlight of the year, and losing meant giving up bragging rights to the other team.  Thompson more times than not would come out on the winning end, but in 2003, the Tommies only lost 4 games all season.  All 4 were to MPCG, the team that beat out the Tommies for a berth to the state tournament.
timmyg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Tigger » Mon May 29, 2006 9:46 pm

In '99 and '00, I believe Thompson beat Midway for the region championship.  In 2001,  MayPort beat Thompson to go to state in high school and at the state tournament in Legion ball.  643master was the most valuable 'FEARE' on that team.
Last edited by Tigger on Mon May 29, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 643master » Tue May 30, 2006 11:06 am

ha ha ha tigger, you are a funny guy
643master
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Class B