Best Infielder in the State????

Best Infielder in the State????

Postby select21 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Anybody agree with Trenton Bruner from Velva?
select21
NDPreps Starter

Re: Best Infielder in the State????

Postby thatguy422 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Ty Bruner was pretty good too.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby select21 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 pm

yah..they are both pretty good infielders...
select21
NDPreps Starter

Postby snowblow » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53 pm

how you say the trenton bruner from velva is the best you are forgetting the best infielder from velva...bo fiest...definately at least top 5 in the state
snowblow
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball4life » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 pm

snowblow wrote:how you say the trenton bruner from velva is the best you are forgetting the best infielder from velva...bo fiest...definately at least top 5 in the state

Clueless perhaps?
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thatguy422 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:38 pm

snowblow wrote:how you say the trenton bruner from velva is the best you are forgetting the best infielder from velva...bo fiest...definately at least top 5 in the state

.....are you kidding? He's probably not even top 5 on his team much less top five in the state.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pakkyzoo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:09 pm

how about tyler or brady schwan from surrey??
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby snowblow » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:23 am

thatguy422 wrote:

.....are you kidding? He's probably not even top 5 on his team much less top five in the state.

so i guess that no one can take a joke now days :roll: ...thats just wrong
snowblow
NDPreps Reserve

Postby snowblow » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:24 am

pakkyzoo wrote:how about tyler or brady schwan from surrey??

we are talking about the state there buddy...i would have to agree with the bruner boys
snowblow
NDPreps Reserve

Postby select21 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:31 pm

not to mention bo feist doesn't even play infield!! :lol:. And the schwan boys from surrey both play first base so i don't think that they can be included....and its not because they play first base..its that i have played against them and they aren't that impressive
select21
NDPreps Starter

Postby snowblow » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:43 pm

select21 wrote:not to mention bo feist doesn't even play infield!! :lol:. And the schwan boys from surrey both play first base so i don't think that they can be included....and its not because they play first base..its that i have played against them and they aren't that impressive

i would definately have to agree with you on that one
snowblow
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thatguy422 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:52 pm

snowblow wrote: thatguy422 wrote:

You didn't really have any hint of sarcasm.
snowblow wrote:
select21 wrote:not to mention bo feist doesn't even play infield!! :lol:. And the schwan boys from surrey both play first base so i don't think that they can be included....and its not because they play first base..its that i have played against them and they aren't that impressive

Tyler Schwan is the best 1st basement in the state that I have seen. I don't know which games you have seen but I have seen his scoop tons of balls out of the dirt.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball4life » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 pm

thatguy422 wrote:
snowblow wrote: thatguy422 wrote:

You didn't really have any hint of sarcasm.
snowblow wrote:

Tyler Schwan is the best 1st basement in the state that I have seen. I don't know which games you have seen but I have seen his scoop tons of balls out of the dirt.

Hate to burst your bubble, but tyler schwan is not that good of a first baseman. the balls i have seen him scoop, his head is constantly turned away, because it seems he is scared to get hit with it. Not to mention that his hitting skills really are not up to par at all. He is decent, but i dont think you can say best in the state.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thatguy422 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:42 pm

baseball4life wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but tyler schwan is not that good of a first baseman. the balls i have seen him scoop, his head is constantly turned away, because it seems he is scared to get hit with it. Not to mention that his hitting skills really are not up to par at all. He is decent, but i dont think you can say best in the state.

I don't really think it matters how you make the play as long as you make the play. And he batted around 400 in high school ball and around 450 in legion. You must be on a really great team if 400-450 isn't up to par.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby select21 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 am

Clearly he did not bat 400 in high school. I don't know where you get your stats but you need to update your stats book....
select21
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 pm

select21 wrote:Clearly he did not bat 400 in high school. I don't know where you get your stats but you need to update your stats book....

I get my stats from the Surrey High School Stats Book.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball4life » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:02 pm

thatguy422 wrote:
select21 wrote:Clearly he did not bat 400 in high school. I don't know where you get your stats but you need to update your stats book....

I get my stats from the Surrey High School Stats Book.

This is the last post i am gonna have on this topic, because i don't want to rag on tyler because i think he tries very hard and is a great kid, from what i have heard. but if those are the stats that the Surrey book had, i do not think that they are correct, or they are counting errors as 1 for 1. i really just dont see him hitting 400, just my opinion.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mrm » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:00 am

I would expect this topic to be dominated by shortstops and third basemen. Any names to add to the list of good fielders? What about Tyler Luehring of Dakota Prairie? James Olderbak from Lakota? Buffy Parkman from Hope? I haven't seen them much, but they were definite leaders for their teams.

I would agree on the Bruner brothers. Solid players.

You guys are really beating up a couple of pretty good ball players in the Schwan brothers. Tyler is the best defensive first baseman I have seen. Good enough the legion coach gave a new award this year- a "gold glove" award to Schwan on the suggestion of his teammates. They obviously value his glove. He is put on the field for his glove. Anything they get out of his bat is a bonus. Having said that, he had a great hitting year. He rarely struck out, and he rarely gets more than a single. He was always on base. Maybe you didn't notice him because he's not a power threat.

He hit .400 in HS ball and .450 in legion. For the people questioning these numbers, the Surrey stats came out like every other team. A few kids had high averages, a handfull had decent numbers, and some had poor averages. Also realize you are questioning two complete different teams. Two different coaches, two different set of stat keepers.I saw nearly every game he played this year and believe the numbers. He WAS that good. Maybe he won't be this year.

Brady Schwan plays pitcher, first base, outfield and catcher. He's average at first and outfield, but excellent behind the plate. He has a very quick snap throw to first. He is also a pure hitter. He hit several (5, I think) homeruns as a 14 year old in legion two summers ago.

if I was a coach I would love to have Trenton Bruner at short, Ty Bruner at second, Tyler Schwan at first and Brady Schwan at catcher. Especially since three of the four are outstanding pitchers,too. Throw in Joe Peldo from Ellendale in center field, and you're set!

Any other brother combos that will be good this year?
mrm
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pakkyzoo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:09 pm

mrm wrote:I would expect this topic to be dominated by shortstops and third basemen. Any names to add to the list of good fielders? What about Tyler Luehring of Dakota Prairie? James Olderbak from Lakota? Buffy Parkman from Hope? I haven't seen them much, but they were definite leaders for their teams.

I would agree on the Bruner brothers. Solid players.

You guys are really beating up a couple of pretty good ball players in the Schwan brothers. Tyler is the best defensive first baseman I have seen. Good enough the legion coach gave a new award this year- a "gold glove" award to Schwan on the suggestion of his teammates. They obviously value his glove. He is put on the field for his glove. Anything they get out of his bat is a bonus. Having said that, he had a great hitting year. He rarely struck out, and he rarely gets more than a single. He was always on base. Maybe you didn't notice him because he's not a power threat.

He hit .400 in HS ball and .450 in legion. For the people questioning these numbers, the Surrey stats came out like every other team. A few kids had high averages, a handfull had decent numbers, and some had poor averages. Also realize you are questioning two complete different teams. Two different coaches, two different set of stat keepers.I saw nearly every game he played this year and believe the numbers. He WAS that good. Maybe he won't be this year.

Brady Schwan plays pitcher, first base, outfield and catcher. He's average at first and outfield, but excellent behind the plate. He has a very quick snap throw to first. He is also a pure hitter. He hit several (5, I think) homeruns as a 14 year old in legion two summers ago.

if I was a coach I would love to have Trenton Bruner at short, Ty Bruner at second, Tyler Schwan at first and Brady Schwan at catcher. Especially since three of the four are outstanding pitchers,too. Throw in Joe Peldo from Ellendale in center field, and you're set!

Any other brother combos that will be good this year?

Well first of all Tyler Luehring plays Centerfield for DP's team that tooks 2nd in state. Next year there is a chance he will move to the infield, but I don't see it. They have Kyle Lamb and Braydon Gourneau who are both SS and 3rd baseman. I think he will play some SS this year when Lamb or Gourneau are on the mound.

James Olderbaak graduated last year. This thread is for next year buddy.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby snowblow » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Tyler Schwan at first and Brady Schwan at catcher are you kidding me...this is throughout the whole state...and secondly just because he got a "gold glove" award doesn't mean he is one of the top in the state...he is just maybe...maybe the best on his team
snowblow
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thatguy422 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:11 am

snowblow wrote:Tyler Schwan at first and Brady Schwan at catcher are you kidding me...this is throughout the whole state...and secondly just because he got a "gold glove" award doesn't mean he is one of the top in the state...he is just maybe...maybe the best on his team

I'm not saying Tyler Schwan is definetly the best in the state, he is the best 1st basemen I have seen myself. Who do you think is better at 1st base?
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby uconn_8 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:15 pm

I personally watched Tyler Schwan play in over 8 games last summer. He is not a .400 hitter. And yes, both books are probably off. On teams that keep stats realistically, the 1 and 3, maybe 4 hitters will hit for .450 or better. He's just not that good of hitter, I don't understand where these stats come from at all. His swing needs to be shortened up to become a better hitter. I'm not trying to "bash" anyone, but I don't like it when everyone brags up their teammates unrealistically.

Brady Schwan will be a good player, but not at catcher. He has a strong arm, but I wouldn't consider it that quick and his throw to 2nd is not accurate enough. He would make a good CF.

Yes, first baseman's can make a difference, but there is a reason that many of the great hitters in MLB play first base (morneau, howard, thome, delgado). Are some of them good with their gloves? Yes, but 1st base is not as tough as 3rd and SS. There's a reason the best athletes on teams usually play SS.

Just a thought (not just for surrey, but all the teams in their section), stop making a joke of the 2nd games in your double-headers. It defeats the purpose of playing the game if you're not going to take it seriously. Use that game to get better, not just to get through. Its not a coincidence that the Metros contend for the section title every year (and I'm not from minot). Its because they take every game serious and stay focused. I'd probably put some of that on the coaches as well.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:32 pm

uconn_8 wrote:I personally watched Tyler Schwan play in over 8 games last summer. He is not a .400 hitter. And yes, both books are probably off. On teams that keep stats realistically, the 1 and 3, maybe 4 hitters will hit for .450 or better. He's just not that good of hitter, I don't understand where these stats come from at all. His swing needs to be shortened up to become a better hitter. I'm not trying to "bash" anyone, but I don't like it when everyone brags up their teammates unrealistically.

I'm sorry if these stats do not seem realistic to you, but I am not trying to brag up my team unrealistically. I figured the best place to look for stats was the stat book. That is what our stat books say. He doesn't bat 1-5 because he is slow and not much of a power hitter. He consistently gets singles though.

uconn_8 wrote:Brady Schwan will be a good player, but not at catcher. He has a strong arm, but I wouldn't consider it that quick and his throw to 2nd is not accurate enough. He would make a good CF.

Another reason Brady Schwan won't play catcher, left handed catchers are frowned upon.

uconn_8 wrote:Just a thought (not just for surrey, but all the teams in their section), stop making a joke of the 2nd games in your double-headers. It defeats the purpose of playing the game if you're not going to take it seriously. Use that game to get better, not just to get through. Its not a coincidence that the Metros contend for the section title every year (and I'm not from minot). Its because they take every game serious and stay focused. I'd probably put some of that on the coaches as well.

I completely agree that the 2nd game should be taken as a time to get better. Coaches often view the 2nd game as a time to get the non starters playing time though.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby uconn_8 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:49 pm

Obviously we disagree on the avg, he doesn't bat anywhere above 6 on a team that didn't qualify for the state tournament. My assumption is the person taking book doesn't take errors into consideration, or doesn't know how to properly score a baseball game. Idk what coaches put a .450 hitter in the bottom half of the order.

Yes, coaches use the 2nd game to get other players time, but with numbers getting lower, alot of starters play too. I actually saw this year, middle infielders from Surrey throwing rocks at each other DURING the game. Really...thats pretty bad. There's no excuses for this, the older guys on the team have to set an example, something I did not see. There's just nothing I dislike more than baseball players who don't have respect for the game.

Surrey has the players to put together a good team, but they lack discipline. Is that a coaching thing, idk.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:57 pm

uconn_8 wrote:Obviously we disagree on the avg, he doesn't bat anywhere above 6 on a team that didn't qualify for the state tournament. My assumption is the person taking book doesn't take errors into consideration, or doesn't know how to properly score a baseball game. Idk what coaches put a .450 hitter in the bottom half of the order.

ya, we will have to agree to disagree on that one

uconn_8 wrote:Yes, coaches use the 2nd game to get other players time, but with numbers getting lower, alot of starters play too. I actually saw this year, middle infielders from Surrey throwing rocks at each other DURING the game. Really...thats pretty bad. There's no excuses for this, the older guys on the team have to set an example, something I did not see. There's just nothing I dislike more than baseball players who don't have respect for the game.

Surrey has the players to put together a good team, but they lack discipline. Is that a coaching thing, idk.

Ya I can't really deny that, I know who you're thinkin of for the rock throwing.
The high school coach is rather strict but the legion coach is not so much. I still feel that the legion coach is a good coach though.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Class B