Best Infielder in the State????

Re: Best Infielder in the State????

Postby mrm » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:34 am

pakkyzoo wrote:Well first of all Tyler Luehring plays Centerfield for DP's team that tooks 2nd in state. Next year there is a chance he will move to the infield, but I don't see it. They have Kyle Lamb and Braydon Gourneau who are both SS and 3rd baseman. I think he will play some SS this year when Lamb or Gourneau are on the mound.

James Olderbaak graduated last year. This thread is for next year buddy.

Sorry about that. Just trying to fish for names. I saw Luerhring at state babe ruth in 2007. He played SS and hit in the middle of the order. He played well and seemed to be a leader on the team. Sorry about Olderbak, didn't know his age. Pakkyzoo, can you give us some SS and 3B from your area to watch for?
uconn_8 wrote:I personally watched Tyler Schwan play in over 8 games last summer. He is not a .400 hitter. And yes, both books are probably off. On teams that keep stats realistically, the 1 and 3, maybe 4 hitters will hit for .450 or better. He's just not that good of hitter, I don't understand where these stats come from at all. His swing needs to be shortened up to become a better hitter. I'm not trying to "bash" anyone, but I don't like it when everyone brags up their teammates unrealistically.

I know your not bashing anyone, just adding to the thread. I agree he needs to work on his swing. But he rarely strikes out, and makes contact on a regular basis. Anyways, I think we agree his value is in the glove. He is one of the top gloves at first, especially in the Minot area.
uconn_8 wrote:Brady Schwan will be a good player, but not at catcher. He has a strong arm, but I wouldn't consider it that quick and his throw to 2nd is not accurate enough. He would make a good CF.

Brady will be the best catcher they have this year, and few balls get past him. It will be interesting to see if the coaches leave a lefty at his strongest fielding position. He will probably get shuffled around from pitcher to C, OF and 1B. I agree he would be good in CF.
uconn_8 wrote:Yes, first baseman's can make a difference, but there is a reason that many of the great hitters in MLB play first base (morneau, howard, thome, delgado). Are some of them good with their gloves? Yes, but 1st base is not as tough as 3rd and SS. There's a reason the best athletes on teams usually play SS.

I agree. I do think Tyler is one of the top 1B in the state, as I haven't seen a better one in this area. But I agree SS and 3B are the prime spots. I would like to see some other names from around the state, particularly at SS and 3B.
uconn_8 wrote:Just a thought (not just for surrey, but all the teams in their section), stop making a joke of the 2nd games in your double-headers. It defeats the purpose of playing the game if you're not going to take it seriously. Use that game to get better, not just to get through. Its not a coincidence that the Metros contend for the section title every year (and I'm not from minot). Its because they take every game serious and stay focused. I'd probably put some of that on the coaches as well.

Also agree here. Minot is always very well coached. Of course, you should contend every year when you have kids starting games in the Central Plains regional Class "A" legion tournament for the Vistas, and then you bring them down to play in the Class "B" sectional tournament.
mrm
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:07 pm

mrm wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:Well first of all Tyler Luehring plays Centerfield for DP's team that tooks 2nd in state. Next year there is a chance he will move to the infield, but I don't see it. They have Kyle Lamb and Braydon Gourneau who are both SS and 3rd baseman. I think he will play some SS this year when Lamb or Gourneau are on the mound.

James Olderbaak graduated last year. This thread is for next year buddy.

Sorry about that. Just trying to fish for names. I saw Luerhring at state babe ruth in 2007. He played SS and hit in the middle of the order. He played well and seemed to be a leader on the team. Sorry about Olderbak, didn't know his age. Pakkyzoo, can you give us some SS and 3B from your area to watch for?

If I had make a top 3 for each position I would make it like this....

Remember this out of the central part of the state (I am from the region 3 area, but get to catch some region 2 games) I was able to catch a Munich game at state and seen the talent they have, but I would say that DP has the best returning at these positions out of region 3.

1B- Alex Martinez for Grafton... Kids a beast at the plate and in the field

SS- Adam Randal for Steele
SS- Tyler Luehring or Kyle Lamb for DP.... Remembering Luehring will play Centerfield too.
SS- Trenton Bruner for Velva
SS- Buffy Parkman for Hope
SS- Dillon Hewitt for Carrington

3B- Travis Beck for Munich
3B- Schommer for Munich
3B- Braydon Gourneau for DP
3B- James Ihry for Hope

C- Blake Klien for Munich
C- Todd Paulson for Grafton
C- Alex Herman for DP
C- Ryne Midstokke for Hope
C- Spencer Huus for Hatton-Northwood

I'd like to get on this Schwan talk from Surrey. We actually played them the last two years, once in a regular tournament and another time in a state tourney. Brady pitched against us both games and Tyler played against us in the state tourney game. (we won both games 10-4 and 10-0). I did think they were the best on their teams. I don't know if could put them at the top of their positions though.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby uconn_8 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Also agree here. Minot is always very well coached. Of course, you should contend every year when you have kids starting games in the Central Plains regional Class "A" legion tournament for the Vistas, and then you bring them down to play in the Class "B" sectional tournament.

The sectional came before the regional. And what difference does it make? They still meet the age requirements don't they? They're better not because they have more numbers, but because they take it more seriously. Yes, everyone likes to have fun during legion, but there's a time and a place for that. There's those that play for the heck of it and those that put the effort in and time, something not many kids do anymore.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:31 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:I'd like to get on this Schwan talk from Surrey. We actually played them the last two years, once in a regular tournament and another time in a state tourney. Brady pitched against us both games and Tyler played against us in the state tourney game. (we won both games 10-4 and 10-0). I did think they were the best on their teams. I don't know if could put them at the top of their positions though.

You're from Dakota Prairie then, correct? The games you are talking about is the Red Willow tournament, and the Harvey State tournament, right?

uconn_8 wrote:

The sectional came before the regional. And what difference does it make? They still meet the age requirements don't they? They're better not because they have more numbers, but because they take it more seriously. Yes, everyone likes to have fun during legion, but there's a time and a place for that. There's those that play for the heck of it and those that put the effort in and time, something not many kids do anymore.

Wouldn't you expect a team drawing from a town of over 30,000 people to beat teams drawing from towns between 1,000 and 2,000 people? Minot has more of the kids that put the effort in because they have competition just to make the teams.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby uconn_8 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:12 pm

Yes they have more competition. But wouldn't you say its a fair assumption that most kids don't put in the kind of effort that they do?
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 am

uconn_8 wrote:Yes they have more competition. But wouldn't you say its a fair assumption that most kids don't put in the kind of effort that they do?

Ya that's a fair assumption. Competition for your spot makes you work harder. There are a few kids that put in the same kind of effort though.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby select21 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36 pm

But once some of those kids play for the vistas...they shouldnt be able to bring them back down to the metros. especially the week right before legion sectionals.
select21
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:58 pm

select21 wrote:But once some of those kids play for the vistas...they shouldnt be able to bring them back down to the metros. especially the week right before legion sectionals.

I agree, you can't expect Class B schools to beat Vistas. There's a problem if Class B schools can beat the Vistas.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby uconn_8 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:20 pm

thatguy422 wrote:
select21 wrote:But once some of those kids play for the vistas...they shouldnt be able to bring them back down to the metros. especially the week right before legion sectionals.

I agree, you can't expect Class B schools to beat Vistas. There's a problem if Class B schools can beat the Vistas.

What difference does it make if they played a few games for the vistas? There's some players in the metro's section that could spot start for the Vistas just like the metro players do. They're two years younger than most anyways!
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan24 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:10 pm

What about David Wangen. He is a beast. Best on the team without a doubt.
ndfan24
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:20 pm

ndfan24 wrote:What about David Wangen. He is a beast. Best on the team without a doubt.

Where is he from?
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballuvr » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:18 pm

Haven't seem him mentioned yet.

Ben Holen from LaMoure is among the top infielders for sure. Pretty consistent for years for LaMoure.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 am

He probably hasn't been mentioned because he graduated last year.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:33 pm

My top guys at each position that I'm familiar with

C- Ben Kramer

1B- Alex Martinez

At 2nd SS and 3rd wherever there is room

Adam Randal
Trenton Bruner
Trevor Schommer
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballuvr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:He probably hasn't been mentioned because he graduated last year.

Sorry. There are some Legion threads here and I was thinking Legion ball. Holen and Watkins have one more Legion year.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby select21 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:42 pm

NE B-Baller 242 wrote:My top guys at each position that I'm familiar with

C- Ben Kramer

1B- Alex Martinez

Adam Randal
Trenton Bruner
Trevor Schommer

there is no way that ben kramer is the best catcher in the state...i mean josh weidler from velva is better than he is...and i don't consider weidler the best in the state either
select21
NDPreps Starter

Postby basebizzal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 pm

select21 wrote:

C- Ben Kramer

1B- Alex Martinez

Adam Randal
Trenton Bruner
Trevor Schommer

there is no way that ben kramer is the best catcher in the state...i mean josh weidler from velva is better than he is...and i don't consider weidler the best in the state either
idk about that select21...kramer is one of the best i think
basebizzal
NDPreps Starter

Postby select21 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:29 pm

basebizzal wrote:
select21 wrote:

C- Ben Kramer

1B- Alex Martinez

Adam Randal
Trenton Bruner
Trevor Schommer

idk about that select21...kramer is one of the best i think

Blake Klein for Munich is the best in the state to me..
select21
NDPreps Starter

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Okay see if we can settle this arguement about the top catcher with a little HS stat comparison(Before State)

Name ............. AVG....... OBP....... HR ............ 2B.............. 3B........... RBI......... G

Ben Kramer .574,,,,,,,,,.679,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,14,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,25,,,,,,,,,,25

Blake Klien .511,,,,,,,,,,.558,,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,,,,,, 7,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,,,,,, 22,,,,,,,,,, 17

Josh Weidler .410,,,,,,,,.541 ,,,,,,, 0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,20,,,,,,, ,,,,24

Kramer wins just about every category except RBI's which I'll give to Klien because he played in less games.
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:27 pm

If you are looking at hitting stats, you would put Kramer and Klein on the top. But catcher is much more then hitting. They are the key to the defense, blocking balls, throwing out runners, being the leader of the defense. To me there are 5 catchers in the state that really stood out to me. If I had to rank them overall meaning hitting + DEFENSE. Defense is what makes a great catcher. I would say Blake Klein- Munch, Ben Kramer- Ryan, Todd Pauslon- Grafton, Josh Weidler- Vevla, and Alex Herman- DP.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby select21 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:06 pm

NE B-Baller 242 wrote:Okay see if we can settle this arguement about the top catcher with a little HS stat comparison(Before State)

Name ............. AVG....... OBP....... HR ............ 2B.............. 3B........... RBI......... G

Ben Kramer .574,,,,,,,,,.679,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,14,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,25,,,,,,,,,,25

Blake Klien .511,,,,,,,,,,.558,,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,,,,,, 7,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,,,,,, 22,,,,,,,,,, 17

Josh Weidler .410,,,,,,,,.541 ,,,,,,, 0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,20,,,,,,, ,,,,24

Kramer wins just about every category except RBI's which I'll give to Klien because he played in less games.

You also got to look at the competition that Ryan played last year during the season too...there wasn't really anything
select21
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4life » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm

select21 wrote:
NE B-Baller 242 wrote:Okay see if we can settle this arguement about the top catcher with a little HS stat comparison(Before State)

You also got to look at the competition that Ryan played last year during the season too...there wasn't really anything

As compared to the stellar competition velva played last year in there region right?!?!?! isn't it kind of funny that velva didn't play Ryan last year? And you are right the lions didn't play any decent competition, playing grafton and lakota wasn't anything at all correct? you are almost comical. Don't get me wrong this post isn't commenting on who othe better catcher is, it is just responding to your ignorant post about how you feel your beloved Velva Aggies played a far more superior schedule then Bishop Ryan, even though BRHS played alot of the teams from your region? :? Try another arguement please cus this one didn't work.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basebizzal » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:49 pm

select21 wrote:

well velva probably had a weaker schedule than ryan tho..
basebizzal
NDPreps Starter

Postby select21 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:55 pm

basebizzal wrote:
select21 wrote:

do u know if ryan plays velva this year??
select21
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4life » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:06 am

select21 wrote:
basebizzal wrote:
select21 wrote:

do u know if ryan plays velva this year??

I am not sure. Last year Velva did not schedule Ryan, for whatever reason that may be, no available dates or whatever, but i am not sure if the schedules are finalized or not, but going by last years schedule i would guess no.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Class B