Best All-Time Baseball School

Re: Best All-Time Baseball School

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
football rocks wrote:ummm the past 5 years dak prarie have u seen them in the tourney every year

What???? not one word or letter you just wrote makes a tiny bit of sense to me. What point are you trying to make?

Type in english please.

i Thie is trying to say Dakota Prairie has had really good baseball program last 5 years???
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby northdakota201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:55 am

Washburn
northdakota201
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 am

Thompson

Casselton
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Rush23 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I no they dont have a team anymore what is said but i think u have to involve Munich in this....they had a tradition there of winning and excepting nothing else....its a shame they dont have the numbers no more for a team
Rush23
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Rush23 wrote:I no they dont have a team anymore what is said but i think u have to involve Munich in this....they had a tradition there of winning and excepting nothing else....its a shame they dont have the numbers no more for a team

Fix some grammar there, but yeah Munich has always had amazing teams. It truly is sad they don't have enough to field a team this year.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:45 pm

hard to believe no one said LaMoure or Enderlin yet
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:39 pm

NE B-Baller 242 wrote:hard to believe no one said LaMoure or Enderlin yet

I thought that too. I would have but didn't read all the earlier posts so I figured that they had already been mentioned. Two great baseball towns.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:57 pm

gobison#6 wrote:

I thought that too. I would have but didn't read all the earlier posts so I figured that they had already been mentioned. Two great baseball towns.

Interesting note...this topic was started back in 2008...just recently did someone post within the topic. Maybe that's why LaMoure and Enderlin weren't mentioned right away...Just a thought
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby gobison#6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:48 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:

Interesting note...this topic was started back in 2008...just recently did someone post within the topic. Maybe that's why LaMoure and Enderlin weren't mentioned right away...Just a thought

Enderlin has had great teams for many years though. Its hard to believe no one thought of posting about them. I figured they had already been mentioned. Guess not. Lamoure has been amazing the past 5 or 6 years plus I am guessing that they have been good in the past too.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:28 pm

First problem with Lamoure is that they didnt have a HS team until the past 5 or 6 years, only summer ball. Enderlin has good baseball and is a baseball town but has not nearly had the success as Thompson. To me what sets Thompson apart is the success they have had generation after generation and not a 6 year run here and their. They had around a 20 year run where they were always arguably the team to beat in their region (in arguably the deepest region in the state) while other teams were up and down. No one can claim the consistency that Thompson has had over 2 to 3 decades.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm

The sad thing with a majority of our state is there aren't a lot of "Baseball Towns" left
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:47 pm

For many years there wasn't high school baseball. Lamoure has had success for many years in amateur baseball and legion ball.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby utilityman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:55 am

HS baseball is so much different than legion ball, especially now with the rules being changed so that college players who turn 19 after Jan1st can play one more year. Personally I'd much rather watch a legion baseball game than a HS game. Getting back on topic, as far as HS baseball go's I think Thompson needs to be considered in there as well as smaller towns such as Munich and Hope Page. I had no idea of those Drayton teams, they won 6 in a row!? that is truly impressive.

I'll be back on here early summer to talk legion ball with anybody who wants, our team ( Valley City) will have their best chance to make a run at state in a long long time this year with 7 returning starters including 3 who are playing college ball.
utilityman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Here's a good list of good baseball schools:
Thompson
Munich
Cavalier
Enderlin
Hatton
Drayton (old days) and St. Thomas-Valley (more present)
Washburn
Velva

These seem to be the top schools IMO
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Bishop Ryan has been a good baseball school. They've went to state something like all but 3 years in their program's history. 5 state titles (Repeat in 00 and 01, and 3 peat from 07-09). Lost in the state title last year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tigger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:25 pm

InTheKnow wrote:First of all the only correct answer to this question is Thompson . Having won titles in the 80's, 90's and 00's. No one else has been consistantly dominant for the past 25 years like they have. 6 years here and 8 years there is not coparitive to that. A down year for them has been finishing second in the region. They have dominated a region that has great baseball tradition and has produced state champions over that same time span in high school and legion many times over. (Hatton, MPCG, CV, Hope/Page is a battle every year with lots of tradition) They ALWAYS have a target on their backs no matter who they play. They are the standard that everyone hopes to reach and everyone takes the most joy in beating because they feel they knocked off the best. All the others listed have some good tradition and some nice runs but they are not Thompson.

BTW- Those Drayton teams in the 50's 60's were not only the best class B teams in the state but were the best team in the state period basically dominating the class A towns those same years in Legion. THEY WERE GOOD!!!

I agree about Thompson being in the mix of top 2 or 3 all-time, but you also have to put Hatton in there. I believe they have 3 Legion titles to go with the 7 HS titles. The Flyers won the Legion crown in '97 and lost to Hope-Finley in '98 in the title game right before the Tommies really took off for about an 8 year stretch. I don't think you can have one stretch of being really good and be compared to these two programs which have multiple decades of tradition. It is more amazing if you look back and see that not only did the two programs have each other to deal with, but they have played in the same district, region, or section as many other state champions.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tigger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Pats03 wrote:Hey I would have to say Thompson or MPCG. Those two teams battled every year and in regionals it would almost always go into the 3rd game in the championship.

MPCG doesn't belong in the discussion. They have a handful of state appearances and no titles.

Also, I believe that the state B in high school baseball was a four team tournament at least into the mid-90s which would have made it much more difficult to accumulate state appearances.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Tolna High School was a big baseball school with multiple state tournament appearances, they won a state championship in 1994. When the schools (Tolna, McVille, Michigan, etc.) consolidated, Dakota Prairie has been very successful. High School team has state tournament appearances in 05, 08, 09. Dakota Prairie's Babe Ruth program has had 6 straight tournament appearances starting in 2004 through 2010. Not saying they are the best all time baseball school, but anyone that knows Tolna, baseball is tradition.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby jaydeee48 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Note that Bishop Ryan has only had a team since the early 90's, and are already third in amount of state titles.
jaydeee48
NDPreps Rookie

Postby thatguy422 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:23 pm

jaydeee48 wrote:Note that Bishop Ryan has only had a team since the early 90's, and are already third in amount of state titles.

Also note that they have been in a very uncompetitive region, at least the last 6 years that i've been playing, and from what i've heard it had always been that way. Now they're in a much better one so we'll see what happens here. Not trying to take away from winning state titles but it helps when you have no competition to get there.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 pm

thatguy422 wrote:
jaydeee48 wrote:Note that Bishop Ryan has only had a team since the early 90's, and are already third in amount of state titles.

Also note that they have been in a very uncompetitive region, at least the last 6 years that i've been playing, and from what i've heard it had always been that way. Now they're in a much better one so we'll see what happens here. Not trying to take away from winning state titles but it helps when you have no competition to get there.

I don't see how the weak region can effect their state title years. You can probably argue there have been years they wouldn't have made it in a tougher region, but you can't take that approach to the title years.

And the region isn't that bad. Last year Watford City was really good. If they had beaten Ryan in the region, I'm quite confident they would have made it to the title game and possibly have beaten Velva. Two years ago, Watford was the same or possibly better with Sanford and Kennmare was also a good team that year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

I have to agree with Indy on this one. A weak region doesn't mean squat when you go on to win state. A weak region could actually hurt you at state if you are actually the most talented team when you are facing bad competition the whole year.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Class B