NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Best coach- Class B

Postby rep » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:35 am

in no particular order and off the top of my head a couple decent ones are:

-christensen from midkota
-silbernagel from steele
-thompson's coach
-thingstad from velva
-the des lacs-burlington coach seemed to really maximize the team's talent, but i don't know how they are year-in and year-out
-lamoure coach
-finley coach

best out of that group...hard to say. couple of good ones there and i think they excel in different areas. like with silbernagel, he really seems to do a good job of keeping his players active on the basepaths and forcing opponents to have to repond to his team's strengths, where i think christensen's strength lies in driving home things like defensive fundamentals.
rep

Postby baseball1981 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:56 am

I think the coach from Dakota Prairie is the best I've seen. He has been at a college program recently and it kind of shows. Usually has his kids taking first pitch strikes but after that if they take a first pitch fastball he gets mad...they are a very good fundemental team but just is always a little too young and he might admit thats why they didn't win the region last year. Grafton has a good coach also, dont know if you said that or not.
baseball1981

Postby rep » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:01 am

completely forgot about the dp program...yeah, i'd toss him out there, too.

be interesting to see how the knights shake out this season. i'm assuming they are the preseason favorite to go to state?
rep

Postby sports2323 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:35 pm

i would have to agree that the dl-b coach does do a good job of getting the most out of his guys. another guy that comes to mind is the guy from beulah, i think flaagan is his name. they seem to play the game the right way and are pretty fundamentally sound. i was at the jamestown tourney last year and actually saw the thompson coach with his kids picking the lineup out of a hat.....not to impressed with that. as well as the load of talent they have every year and have not been able to get the most out of it i would think.
sports2323

Postby cubsfan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:07 pm

The Thompson coach you are thinking of is Jon Dolleslager and he coaches legion. Their high school coach is Ryam Brantl. Brantl is a very good coach. The best coach IMO is Mark Frost from Hope. He has taken his team to state a bunch of times since he has been coaching their. Has won numerous state and legion titles.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:00 am

it seems to me that christensen from Midkota is a real class act and a very good coach. I think Chad Omdahl from Hatton should be mentioned. He is a geniunely nice guy who is really in it for the kids although some of his own players can't even see that.
PA42

Postby bigtuna21 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:29 am

rep wrote:completely forgot about the dp program...yeah, i'd toss him out there, too.

be interesting to see how the knights shake out this season. i'm assuming they are the preseason favorite to go to state?

i dont no if they r the favorite cuz lakota should be pretty decent this year to
christianson from midkota is probably the best coach i have seen
bigtuna21

Postby gophers18 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:17 pm

If you are including legion ball two that come to mind are Keith Kinneberg from Galchutt and Scott Radloff from Casselton both have good programs year after year. Just from seeing them at some of the games I have been to, they both seem to coach the game the way it should be. Fun to watch both teams the past few years.
gophers18

Postby sports2323 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:22 am

i don't know about casselton but the little i've seen of galchutt the past few years, i wasn't overly impressed by the coaching. they seemed to be undisciplined and not execute fundamentally very well. but i only saw them play in a few games at the state tourney.
sports2323

Postby baseball11 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Both langdon and grafton are well coached teams and a big reason why they're always battling for that region.
baseball11

Postby The stokker » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:09 pm

FSHP- Coach Frost
The Lamoure Coach
Christenson From Midkota
The stokker

Postby PA42 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:47 pm

I think Radloff does a really nice job teaching the fundamentals. He is a class act and I think Casselton will be a very good team this summer.
PA42

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:48 am

i think frost is one of the best coaches in the state, he really gets the best out of all his players
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gophers18 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:59 pm

sports2323 wrote:i don't know about casselton but the little i've seen of galchutt the past few years, i wasn't overly impressed by the coaching. they seemed to be undisciplined and not execute fundamentally very well. but i only saw them play in a few games at the state tourney.

Not to many people can come in to a program that ceased to exist 8 years ago and completely turn it around like he has done. I played against his teams from 2001-2003 and have the utmost respect for what he has done. Hats off to a well respected coach in this area. Like you said though you only saw them in a few games.
gophers18

Postby baseball4life » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Hard to argue with Bishop Ryan's coach's resume.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby power-aid14 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:54 pm

baseball4life wrote:Hard to argue with Bishop Ryan's coach's resume.

So. yeah um....whats his resume?
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:03 pm

power-aid14 wrote:
baseball4life wrote:Hard to argue with Bishop Ryan's coach's resume.

So. yeah um....whats his resume?

quite a few region championships, a few state championships (not sure how many 3,4? maybe more) anyway ya look at it, its been a great program for a long time which alot of credit can be given to the coach. Forget what his name is??
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hotball » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Beulah's Legion coach did a very good job with his players, he had alot of talent and he got the most out of it. It looks like the played pretty well at the end of the year when it counted.
Burlington's coach I would say was the best class B coach this year. He had some good players, but if you watched their pitching, they weren't even close to how talented the other team's at state were. I didn't see a pitcher that threw harder than 72 mph. The pitcher's obviously new how to pitch and the defense made the plays. Kid's were as disciplined as I've seen at the plate.
hotball
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:58 pm

Christianson from Midkota and Thigstad? from Velva are the 2 best coaches in class b...its a toss up for who is the best, but they are 1-2
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tigger » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:25 am

I think Ryam Brantl of Thompson is the best high school coach, and Mark Frost of Hope-Finley is the best Legion coach in Class B. Brantl's teams have appeared in 7 of the last 9 state tournaments and won 2 titles in that span. I believe he had the best team a couple of other times and didn't win, but that is how baseball goes. I'm not sure how many total state tournament he has coached in, but it must be over 10. I also think his coaching helped Thompson's Legion program have success the past several years because I don't think their summer coach made them much better. Frosty has two state titles in the past five years coming out of perhaps the toughest section in the state and the only back-to-back titles since 1995. Two other coaches that have been mentioned here (Chad Omdahl and Scott Radloff) are in his section along with one other who should be mentioned among the best (Luke Rustad, Fargo Bombers). H-F was down a bit in '06 but were near the top of their section last year and should be very good in the coming years. Coach Frost also has several high school state appearances in this decade and nearly went undefeated in '03 or '04 when their only loss was in the state semifinals. I think weak regions make some coaches look better than they actually are, not these two though.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:37 pm

I'll second the thoughts on Frost and Brantl.

Brantl is an excellent coach if only because he gets all the good athletes at Thompson to play baseball, something that is not easy to do when spring rolls around and kids start to think about other things besides playing sports. He is a very good strategist as well and his players always know the fundamentals and strategy of the game.

Mark Frost is also a very good program builder. He's worked so hard to build up baseball in the Hope area that they named the field after him, for crying out loud! And it's well deserved - Mark takes great pride in that field, grandstand, concessions area - it's a nice place to play and watch baseball.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm

The only think I do not like about Brantl is that he uses his pitchers way too much. He has blown a few of their arms out by their senior season.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Number7 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:56 pm

Lamoure's coach is Thielges, sorry not sure on the last name
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:27 am

i think he's only the legion coach , and they have a different high school coach, or either way around ( about thielges)
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Class B