Best coach- Class B

Re: Best coach- Class B

Postby cubsfan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:21 am

BballFan1307 wrote:i think he's only the legion coach , and they have a different high school coach, or either way around ( about thielges)

Thieges is the legion coach and Derold Haugen is the high school coach.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shs01240 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:56 pm

In my experience Frost has been the best legion coach i've encountered. IMO he's one of only a couple coaches in the area who truly knows how to run a baseball program and continue to win, despite not always having the best talent.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby #28 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:45 pm

bryan kramer from bishop ryan is a very good coach
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:11 pm

baseball1981 wrote:I think the coach from Dakota Prairie is the best I've seen. He has been at a college program recently and it kind of shows. Usually has his kids taking first pitch strikes but after that if they take a first pitch fastball he gets mad...they are a very good fundemental team but just is always a little too young and he might admit thats why they didn't win the region last year. Grafton has a good coach also, dont know if you said that or not.

Grafton has a good coach? What game are you watching
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball007 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 pm

OldSchool wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:I think the coach from Dakota Prairie is the best I've seen. He has been at a college program recently and it kind of shows. Usually has his kids taking first pitch strikes but after that if they take a first pitch fastball he gets mad...they are a very good fundemental team but just is always a little too young and he might admit thats why they didn't win the region last year. Grafton has a good coach also, dont know if you said that or not.

Grafton has a good coach? What game are you watching

Grafton is usually pretty good. why would you classify them as not having a good coach? jw
baseball007
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Loaded with talent every year. Lack of discipline....poor fundamentally.......don't do the little things right, and just contend due to talent every year. They should win that Region every year.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1990 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:35 pm

OldSchool wrote:Loaded with talent every year. Lack of discipline....poor fundamentally.......don't do the little things right, and just contend due to talent every year. They should win that Region every year.

how do they lack discipline
baseball1990

Postby spoilers23 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:05 pm

im dying to know how we lack discipline? poor fundamentally? are you kidding? and what little things dont we do? we've won the region 2 out of the past 3 years, the year we didnt langdon was a very good team. i'm just gonna guess and say we will be picked to win the region this year, i'm not saying we will just saying thats what the polls will say and the polls mean little or nothing so bash me on that if you want to.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic.
spoilers23
NDPreps Starter

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:36 pm

spoilers23 wrote:im dying to know how we lack discipline? poor fundamentally? are you kidding? and what little things dont we do? we've won the region 2 out of the past 3 years, the year we didnt langdon was a very good team. i'm just gonna guess and say we will be picked to win the region this year, i'm not saying we will just saying thats what the polls will say and the polls mean little or nothing so bash me on that if you want to.

Preseason polls are pointless, but if Grafton is near the top this year, I'd have to agree with it. And I am not too familiar with Grafton, but from the teams they have had, and watching them play in fall ball in East Grand Forks a couple times, they are definately well coached.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:40 pm

horne98 wrote:it seems to me that christensen from Midkota is a real class act and a very good coach. I think Chad Omdahl from Hatton should be mentioned. He is a geniunely nice guy who is really in it for the kids although some of his own players can't even see that.

lol, I like that about Omdahl. He is a great guy, but the players play to play ball. They learn alot from each other, and they usually have great team chemistry. I don't think that would change even if Omdahl wasn't coaching.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby OldSchool » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:31 pm

thunderbaseball_38 wrote:
spoilers23 wrote:im dying to know how we lack discipline? poor fundamentally? are you kidding? and what little things dont we do? we've won the region 2 out of the past 3 years, the year we didnt langdon was a very good team. i'm just gonna guess and say we will be picked to win the region this year, i'm not saying we will just saying thats what the polls will say and the polls mean little or nothing so bash me on that if you want to.

Preseason polls are pointless, but if Grafton is near the top this year, I'd have to agree with it. And I am not too familiar with Grafton, but from the teams they have had, and watching them play in fall ball in East Grand Forks a couple times, they are definately well coached.

Hahaha...are you serious? You must have a totally different perspective on good coaching then me then.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:37 am

haha very few class b baseball coaches are very good, since i only played for 2, i cant say who i think is the best, but bishop ryan, dakota prairie, and velvas coaches are the best in the state in my opinion, bishop ryans because they always win, dakota prairie because i played against him and saw how much he can help a team in getting better, especially the young kids, and velva again because they alway win
baseball1981

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:09 am

Rick Christianson from Midkota is excellent. He understands the game, motivates his kids, is a solid disciplinarian, and works hard. He's been successful year in, year out, for the past 15 years. He's had some talented kids, no doubt, but years he hasn't had great talent they've always competed.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:52 am

2 best that ive played against are Thigstad? (velva) and Christianson (Midkota). there teams always win no matter how many seniors they lose. and they both do 2 things that i would have loved to play for as a coach....

1. Never yelled.
2. Coached a kid during the game.

If a player messed up, they would calmly say this is what your doing wrong...which is what alot of coaches do. but what sets them apart is after they say what they did wrong they say this is what you need to do. you can go to any game and see a coach get upset and tell kids what they do wrong, but its the good coaches who show patience during a game and teach the kid during an at bat...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:05 am

Well put, and I couldn't agree more...kids react when you TELL THEM what they are doing wrong...When you YELL AT THEM what they are doing wrong, you tend to get negative results. Not to say a coach can never raise his voice to his players. In my opinion, however, this works best in practice, when the players friends, parents, relatives, girlfriends, etc..arent there. When they are, the player is losing face. If a player continually makes the same mistake over and over, they sometimes need to have their "cage rattled", so to speak.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:10 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:Well put, and I couldn't agree more...kids react when you TELL THEM what they are doing wrong...When you YELL AT THEM what they are doing wrong, you tend to get negative results. Not to say a coach can never raise his voice to his players. In my opinion, however, this works best in practice, when the players friends, parents, relatives, girlfriends, etc..arent there. When they are, the player is losing face. If a player continually makes the same mistake over and over, they sometimes need to have their "cage rattled", so to speak.

agreed.....if a player makes a mistake, calmly tell him what he did and how to fix it. if he still makes the mistake, restate it calmly. if he does it again, maybe then use a lil more of an "anger" approach to get your point across but still support them and show confidence. if a coach doesnt encourage the players the player is more likely to fail. if he sees the coaches support he then has an increase in self confidence...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby uconn_8 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:39 am

I think the most important coaches are the one's when you're younger, when you learn how to play the game. IMO alot of baseball has to do with knowledge of the game, which can only be taught to an extent. If you can create a good interest in baseball when the kids are young, the better off you are. If you pay attention, the good babe ruth teams often end up being the good legion teams as well. I think the Babe Ruth coaches are just as much as an influence on how well the kids do in high school. All in all, there are some good coaches, but its up to the kids to put in the time and effort.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:43 am

for that reason as well and many others, i got to go with Mark Frost of Hope. The town of Hope has become a "baseball" town because of that man. He helps with everything from little league to babe ruth to legion and the high school program. Even sometimes lets some of the younger kids come in and practice with the legion just to get them more interested in baseball.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sharpey24 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Simply put. Mark Frost then everyone else. Some coaches have had good years, some have had nice 3 to 4 year runs. This guy has put in the time, changed a community, and still keeps it going.
sharpey24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndsportnut » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:53 pm

I was very impressed with the West Fargo Aces last year, what about their coach??? They seemed very disciplined and it can't be easy coaching a 16 year old team against 17,18, and 19 year olds...they went to state.
ndsportnut

Postby tadam6 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:14 am

have none of you ever heard of jason schwabe....guaranteed he's gone farther in baseball than any coach in north dakota
tadam6

Postby cubsfan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 pm

tadam6 wrote:have none of you ever heard of jason schwabe....guaranteed he's gone farther in baseball than any coach in north dakota

I have to admit he was my idle when he was playing at MSU...him and the great Dan Swift!!
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:59 am

tadam6 wrote:have none of you ever heard of jason schwabe....guaranteed he's gone farther in baseball than any coach in north dakota

Schwabe is the best Class B coach hands down. There is no comparison. There should be no arguments. There are other class B coaches that may be able to coach the "GAME" well but none compare to the complete package of teaching fundamentally sound mechanics as well. Lots of programs succeed year in and year out because they are decent coaches which in comparison to a football coach who has to coach baseball is a major advantage. Schwbe is by far the best. He knows the game, he knows the mechanics, and he has seen the game from a higher level. He developed Munich into a power in the 90's and has done the same in Langdon when he has coached.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby brockstar41 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:59 am

Christanson, hands down. Maybe the only coach who can take a team an average team to state.
brockstar41
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:25 pm

brockstar41 wrote:Christanson, hands down. Maybe the only coach who can take a team an average team to state.

Not even close. He takes an average team to state because that region is generally average. When was the last time a team from that region won state in either legion or high school? When I saw Midkota play 2 years ago at state their team was extremely un skilled, lack basic footwork and hand fundamentals, and their swings were aweful. They were fortunate to ride a upper 70's lefty to the semis. They win with having a couple of players with natural athletic ability playing in an average region. Not because they are fundamentally sound through the lineup.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Class B