2008 college

Postby baseball1981 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:16 am

anyone know where some kids are thinking of going in this next graduating class?
baseball1981

Re: 2008 college

Postby andy_7 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:14 pm

I heard that Jamestown's coach is recruiting some Lamoure kids pretty hard.
andy_7

Postby baseball1981 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:36 am

kliniske is goin to ndsu....:D
baseball1981

Postby power-aid14 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:49 pm

baseball1981 wrote:kliniske is goin to ndsu....:D

wow.....why?
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball1981 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:12 pm

I don't know. Didn't the Bison win like 6 games last year out of 60?
baseball1981

Postby luckyinlife » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:24 am

It's interesting to hear you say that NDSU is looking at ND grads. I saw college reps from a number of ND colleges at the Mandan tryouts, but I didn't see a coach from NDSU. Do you know if NDSU had anyone there?
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:24 am

lucky, a lot of college coaches never see a signee play before fall ball a lot of times. Now, grafton is around fargo so maybe they have went to see him play, but mostly, they talk to hs coaches, scouts and just look around in newspapers and stuff for players who are playing good. NDSU's new coach says he wants to get more north dakota kids to come, mainly because the last head coach missed about 5 nd kids that could have made a huge impact in their system. I just don't see them really doing much until this new coaches recruits can get through the system. I thought if Kliniske was going to go D1 it'd be to a good D1 school, not NDSU.
baseball1981

Postby ndfan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:00 pm

Well congrats to mr Klinske, yes NDSU may not be the greatest baseball program in the country right now but I hope he goes there and can help put NDSU in the right path. Best of luck to him there.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:41 am

so why not go to a juco? :wink: theres many jucos that could beat ndsu that probably offered him :wink:
baseball1981

Postby banthedh » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:13 am

Juco isn't for everyone most of the time its a place for the unpolished player to go who isn't ready to compete at the DII or DI level. The coaches at SU must have felt he was ready to go at that level. Have you seen there schedule. Have you seen the facility they play in, most kids would consider themselves lucky to play at nueman. There are some jucos that are very good but its still just juco ball. Although there are advantages to that route for some, its not for everyone.
banthedh

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:57 pm

banthedh wrote:Juco isn't for everyone most of the time its a place for the unpolished player to go who isn't ready to compete at the DII or DI level. The coaches at SU must have felt he was ready to go at that level. Have you seen there schedule. Have you seen the facility they play in, most kids would consider themselves lucky to play at nueman. There are some jucos that are very good but its still just juco ball. Although there are advantages to that route for some, its not for everyone.
juco is accually more for a player who cant keep up with grades...
baseball1981

Postby banthedh » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:26 pm

So are you suggestting that kiliniske's grades are such that he should opt for juco becuz yours are bad and that was your only choice? I'm confused. Does coach Allison feel the same way you do about the juco experience at Iowa western? It seems to me that all your posts are either building yourself up, bashing someone else or other idle chatter. It would be nice one time to read one of your posts and not feel dumber for having read it.
banthedh

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:05 pm

banthedh wrote:So are you suggestting that kiliniske's grades are such that he should opt for juco becuz yours are bad and that was your only choice? I'm confused. Does coach Allison feel the same way you do about the juco experience at Iowa western? It seems to me that all your posts are either building yourself up, bashing someone else or other idle chatter. It would be nice one time to read one of your posts and not feel dumber for having read it.
no i was jus sayin sometimes if a player cant keep up with grades at a d1 he might wanna go juco, i didnt say anything about kliniskes grades, or bash him in any way, and i dont think my grades are bad and u would have no idea if they are or arent
baseball1981

Postby tadam6 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:59 pm

banthedh wrote:Juco isn't for everyone most of the time its a place for the unpolished player to go who isn't ready to compete at the DII or DI level. The coaches at SU must have felt he was ready to go at that level. Have you seen there schedule. Have you seen the facility they play in, most kids would consider themselves lucky to play at nueman. There are some jucos that are very good but its still just juco ball. Although there are advantages to that route for some, its not for everyone.

What do you mean its still just juco ball?
There are plenty of juco players that could've very easily gone d1 but decided to get the playing time in instead of sitting for a year or two and have to get the feel for college ball a year or two later....unless you are Arizona State, LSU, or Oregon State material...there is nothing wrong w/ going to a juco to get better and get the playing time sooner....that sounded like a bash to juco players...
tadam6

Postby banthedh » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Sorry, about the way that came off, that was a poor choice of words. What I meant by it was anyone that goes to a juco is trying to get to the next level, being DI or DII. baseball1981 makes it sound like the only reason to go juco is not being able to keep up with grades at a four year school which is not true. I have friends at juco's right now and in past and don't think grades had anything to do with the choice, it was simply a means to an end. I would never be dumb enough to sit at my computer and question someones motives with out all the facts.
banthedh

Postby power-aid14 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:43 pm

Tyler Lundy....goes to one of the best JUCO's in the country....Now he's going to an elite D1 baseball program and you can bet on him playing professional baseball.

Andrew Gudmunson....goes to Nebraska....He's now playing for UND and you can bet he won't be playing any type of professional baseball.

Kliniskie...goes to NDSU....????

If AK was smart he would have gone to IWCC. Now he'll be losing games on a losing team. Good Choice AK
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:55 pm

how come every time a kid goes to a bad school he made a bad choice? maybe he understands that the chances of playing pro baseball are not good and that baseball is just a way to get his education paid for in some sort. same thing happened with dufault when he picked colorado...the thing is, hes playin ball in the Big XII and noone else from the state is so in my mind thats a great choice. alot of lower D1 schools can be used just like a JUCO....if you decide to transfer after 2 years you get all the smae expeirance that you would at a JUCO with the only difference being that you see the same picthers when u transfer while teh JUCO kids would have to learn a whole different game....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1981 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:38 am

banthedh wrote:Sorry, about the way that came off, that was a poor choice of words. What I meant by it was anyone that goes to a juco is trying to get to the next level, being DI or DII. baseball1981 makes it sound like the only reason to go juco is not being able to keep up with grades at a four year school which is not true. I have friends at juco's right now and in past and don't think grades had anything to do with the choice, it was simply a means to an end. I would never be dumb enough to sit at my computer and question someones motives with out all the facts.
pretty sure im not saying the only reason to go to a juco is because of grades, i said that some players, like the studs, ones that could get drafted might go to a juco so they can keep up with grades
baseball1981

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:23 pm

highheat wrote:the new ndsu coach has a clue when it comes to recruiting. he understands that there is talent in this state and the surrounding area. the old coach just recruited sub par players from all over whereas the new coach is recruiting above average players closer to ndsu. and ndsu wont be bad this year. they are in a conference now that has competition on their level, except for oral roberts. klininske will be a fine addition to ndsu's pitching staff and he has the build to become a dominant power pitcher.

How do you know they werent recruited and went to other programs because NDSU had next to nothing for scholarship money? Which players should have been recruited?

The new head coach immediately was given full time pay instead of half and not forced to split time between being an instructor and academic advisor in the PE department full time and baseball. On top of that his recruting budget was over doubled to scout players and bring them in for visits and was given 2 more scholarships. Word is there were alot of offers out there that over doubled what current players are getting. Current players were getting at most 1/3rd of a scholarship...majority are around 1/4 or less.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:32 pm

power-aid14 wrote:Tyler Lundy....goes to one of the best JUCO's in the country....Now he's going to an elite D1 baseball program and you can bet on him playing professional baseball.

Andrew Gudmunson....goes to Nebraska....He's now playing for UND and you can bet he won't be playing any type of professional baseball.

Kliniskie...goes to NDSU....????

If AK was smart he would have gone to IWCC. Now he'll be losing games on a losing team. Good Choice AK

Most of the college coaches in ND were SHOCKED that Gudmunson went to Nebraska. He is an average to slightly above average DII player. Stone hands for a fielder. DI is a whole different level.

AK is a pitcher and will be coached by a professional pitching coach and former MLB player that is also 6'8 and an imposing figure. I am sure that played into his decision. Neil Wagner (an ndsu alum who left school early to sign) went from 88-97 before he left with the mechanics he teaches and hit 100 in a minor league all star game last summer in High A.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:46 pm

baseball1981 wrote:I don't know. Didn't the Bison win like 6 games last year out of 60?

They went 16 and 31 and took third place at the DI Independent tournament. 19 of their losses were to Big XII, Big 10, or Missouri Valley teams. They took second place in the DI Independent tournament in 2006. Because of budget constraints they were forced to play more major schools for the game guarantees then all other ndsu programs including SDSUs baseball team.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby sharpey24 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:43 pm

Keep the info coming "in the know" sounds like you know your stuff
sharpey24
NDPreps Rookie

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:11 pm

sharpey24 wrote:Keep the info coming "in the know" sounds like you know your stuff

Thats why they call me "in the know". Although alot of statements can easily be answered by doing alittle research before shooting from the hip and making false statements and accusations. On top of that, how many guys on here that are running their mouth have ever attended an NDSU, UND, or other DI teams games to actually see what the talent level is. It is alot higher then most guys think. Since 2005 there have been 5-6 pitchers on NDSU's staff each year that throw 90 or harder. Yes velocity is not the end all of pitching but considering that and compare their ERAs it might give everyone an idea of just how talented the players they are going up against are. Wagner in '05 was throwing 94-95 mph and ended with an ERA of around 3-4. Look at the numbers Lifrig and Leer put up in just one season of legion hitting over 20 home runs and hitting around .500. At DII UMary they hit .298 with 8 hr and .321 with 4hr in almost 40 games. Andrew Gudmondson had no chance at Nebraska. He hit around .300 at UND this past year and is playing 1B because he is a defensive liability at that level playing short or third. Does anyone on here know that over the past 12 years 19 players have gone on to play some level of professional baseball from NDSU? But I guess they never produce anyone that can play on and is a terrible place to go.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball1981 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:01 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
sharpey24 wrote:Keep the info coming "in the know" sounds like you know your stuff

Thats why they call me "in the know". Although alot of statements can easily be answered by doing alittle research before shooting from the hip and making false statements and accusations. On top of that, how many guys on here that are running their mouth have ever attended an NDSU, UND, or other DI teams games to actually see what the talent level is. It is alot higher then most guys think. Since 2005 there have been 5-6 pitchers on NDSU's staff each year that throw 90 or harder. Yes velocity is not the end all of pitching but considering that and compare their ERAs it might give everyone an idea of just how talented the players they are going up against are. Wagner in '05 was throwing 94-95 mph and ended with an ERA of around 3-4. Look at the numbers Lifrig and Leer put up in just one season of legion hitting over 20 home runs and hitting around .500. At DII UMary they hit .298 with 8 hr and .321 with 4hr in almost 40 games. Andrew Gudmondson had no chance at Nebraska. He hit around .300 at UND this past year and is playing 1B because he is a defensive liability at that level playing short or third. Does anyone on here know that over the past 12 years 19 players have gone on to play some level of professional baseball from NDSU? But I guess they never produce anyone that can play on and is a terrible place to go.
How many draft picks have they had in the last 5 years?
baseball1981

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:33 pm

How many draft picks have they had in the last 5 years?

Jeremiah Piepkorn signed as a free agent before the draft in 2004 after weighing offers from 6 teams. Reached AA for the Reds this year before hurting a hamstring and missing a month. Led the Florida State High A league in hitting the first month playing with Sarasota.

Neil Wagner in 2005. A league all star with Kingston for Cleveland. Was with High A Lake County this past year as the teams closer. Had a stretch over one month where he allowed 3 hits in 15 appearances.

2006, Jared Sullivan was slated to be drafted second day but injuries put a big X on his profile. Hit over .400 with 10 hr and 20 2bs and led the country in hit by pitches. Did not play a complete season without injury and missed 40 games in 2005 with an elbow injury as the number one starter throwing 92-94. Only 3 other seniors that year that were not pro prospects who were walk ons.

2007- only 2 seniors and the likely hood of signing juniors after the first day of the draft is not good.

2008- Laber will be drafted, a couple others that might as well. Mossey would have been a lock as a pitcher but chose to go to Iowa as they make a run for a Big 10 title. NDSU is not post season eligible til next year.

Do the math with JUCOs and 4 year school draft numbers. A player can get drafted both his freshman and sophmore year at a Juco so obviously more draft selections especially if they are drafted twice. Doesnt mean the team actually wants to sign that player. It is usually a draft and follow situation through the rest of the year before the next draft. If they develop alot then they have first crack at them and have developed a relationship with the player already. Look at a player like Jeremy Horst. They didnt draft him to sign him out of HS or at Iowa Western. They drafted him as a follow. Didnt even daft him after his junior year because they looked for younger players despite having a good year at Armstrong Atlantic. The Reds took him in 2007 and sent him to Rookie league as a 21 soon to be 22 year old. He is no farther along then he would have been had he signed out of high school. In fact he may have been released already had he signed early. Burchill was the pitcher of the year in that conference two years ago and wasnt even drafted? How does that work? The draft is not an exact science and is not all about who the best players are. It is about impressing a scout that has alot of pull with the organization as much as anything. You also beter keep your health profile clean as injury prone players will get passed over as they are investments and cant climb the ladder if they are always hurt.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Class B