Favorites Region by Region 2008 HS

Postby Maniaconthefloor » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:35 am

Who are the favorites in each region around the state?
Maniaconthefloor
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:21 am

Bishop Ryan
Dakota Prairie
Grafton
Munich/Starlweather
Hope
Velva

those are some teams that coudl make it
baseball1981

Postby luckyinlife » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:57 am

baseball1981 wrote:Bishop Ryan
Dakota Prairie
Grafton
Munich/Starlweather
Hope
Velva

Being that you know alot of what goes on in Harvey, you know that LaMoure and Casselton played for the Babe Ruth championship this year with Casselton taking it in the bottom of the 7th inning.  Both teams have some really good sophs moving into the lineup.  I think F/S/H/P will have their hands full with these two teams.  
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:25 pm

luckyinlife wrote:
Dakota Prairie
Grafton
Munich/Starlweather
Hope
Velva

Being that you know alot of what goes on in Harvey, you know that LaMoure and Casselton played for the Babe Ruth championship this year with Casselton taking it in the bottom of the 7th inning.  Both teams have some really good sophs moving into the lineup.  I think F/S/H/P will have their hands full with these two teams.  
i didnt see much accually, but i dont think those teams will have an impact in high school for a year or so, because they are all 15, and theres a big difference, hope page has been there before and thats just why i think theyll make it one more time, im not in harvey anymore though so i dont know much ;)
baseball1981

Postby baseball » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:48 pm

baseball1981 wrote:
luckyinlife wrote:
Dakota Prairie
Grafton
Munich/Starlweather
Hope
Velva

i didnt see much accually, but i dont think those teams will have an impact in high school for a year or so, because they are all 15, and theres a big difference, hope page has been there before and thats just why i think theyll make it one more time, im not in harvey anymore though so i dont know much ;)

those teams are exactly what FSHP was last year....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1981 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:11 pm

baseball wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:
luckyinlife wrote:
Dakota Prairie
Grafton
Munich/Starlweather
Hope
Velva

yeah but fshp has players coming back....so wouldnt they kind of be the favorite, and they also were very good in babe ruth this year and won it two years ago i believe
baseball1981

Postby UND KID » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:57 pm

baseball1981 wrote:
baseball wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:
luckyinlife wrote:
Dakota Prairie
Grafton
Munich/Starlweather
Hope
Velva

yeah but fshp has players coming back....so wouldnt they kind of be the favorite, and they also were very good in babe ruth this year and won it two years ago i believe

Wasn't the question on the favorites in the regions, so what does that have to do when you are talking about Casselton, Lamoure, and FSHP in the same sentence? These are 3 teams that will do very well in their respected regions, I think that FSHP peaked at the right time last year but fell short, very well coached, La Moure has a very rich tradition, and they will always be there. Casselton has some very good players, I don't know how they will do next spring, they will have a good team but I don't know alot about them!!

UND KID
UND KID

Postby #1baseballfan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:10 pm

UND KID wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:
baseball wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:
luckyinlife wrote:
Dakota Prairie
Grafton
Munich/Starlweather
Hope
Velva

Wasn't the question on the favorites in the regions, so what does that have to do when you are talking about Casselton, Lamoure, and FSHP in the same sentence? These are 3 teams that will do very well in their respected regions, I think that FSHP peaked at the right time last year but fell short, very well coached, La Moure has a very rich tradition, and they will always be there. Casselton has some very good players, I don't know how they will do next spring, they will have a good team but I don't know alot about them!!

UND KID
lamoure i think will be the favorite with winning the legion with only 2 kids that are different gibbs and willey   with watkins and holen they should be tough
#1baseballfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:28 pm

i honestly dont beleive there is a clear cut favorite this year in that region. I do think that the top two teams will be Lamoure and FSHP, because Casselton lost HUGE parts of their team in Fontana, Nowak, Brown etc. but it's not like Lamoure is a huge favorite they split last year with FSHP in two 1 run games. So yes it will be between those two teams but neither of them is the favorite.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Maniaconthefloor » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:06 am

When I started this topic I was hoping for responses about all the regions.  I wanted to get an idea of teams from every region not just one region.  Pick your eight representatives one from each region.
Maniaconthefloor
NDPreps Starter

Postby Maniaconthefloor » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:13 am

Here are mine

Region 1

Lamoure

Why:  I really like Hope-Page too but I think it was a big upset that they were able to get through last year and Lamoure will learn from their mistake last year.

Region 2

Thompson

Why:  Until someone steps up and takes it away from them, it would be foolish to bet against them.

Region 3

Dakota Prairie

Why:  With the talent they have they are due not to fail finally.

Region 4

Grafton

Why:  Enough talent to carry them through

Region 5

Munich

Why:  Young and experienced now.

Region 6

Velva

Why:  They are always tough and they are coached very well.

Region 7

Bishop Ryan

Why:  I shouldn't have to elaborate with that talent base

Region 8

Washburn

Why:  I don't think Steele has much left after graduating the kids they have lost the last two years and if I remember right Washburn was young last year.
Maniaconthefloor
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:15 am

Steele was also young last year but the youth was overshadowed by Bakkum and Lang.  they started 2 freshman (Miller and Randall), 3 juniors (McCleary, Jon Lang, and Martin), and 2 sophomores who saw alot of time (Six and Gross)...so i believe until someone beats them Steele is the favorite even after losing Bakkum and Lang.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby luckyinlife » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Always reading about how someone is really good, but never any stats to support the statements.  Are stats available in baseball like football and basketball?
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:51 pm

luckyinlife wrote:Always reading about how someone is really good, but never any stats to support the statements.  Are stats available in baseball like football and basketball?

http://www.steele-dawson.k12.nd.us/Sports/Baseball/Stats%20Page%20Baseball%202.htm
rep

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:56 pm

Maniaconthefloor wrote:Here are mine

Region 1

Lamoure

Why:  I really like Hope-Page too but I think it was a big upset that they were able to get through last year and Lamoure will learn from their mistake last year.

Region 2

Thompson

Why:  Until someone steps up and takes it away from them, it would be foolish to bet against them.

Region 3

Dakota Prairie

Region 4

Grafton

Region 5

Munich

Region 6

Velva

Region 7

Bishop Ryan

Region 8

Washburn

Why:  I don't think Steele has much left after graduating the kids they have lost the last two years and if I remember right Washburn was young last year.

What do you mean by Dakota Prairie is finally not goin to fail?  Dakota Prairie has been to state babe ruth the last 4 years.  In 2005 we took 5th place in high school state baseball.  The last two seasons we have finished 3rd in the region.  Two years ago we started 8th graders and only had 2 seniors.  Last season they didn't have a senior and again started a ton of underclassmen.  So I wouldn't say they have failed yet.....
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:40 am

pakkyzoo wrote:
Maniaconthefloor wrote:Here are mine

Region 1

Lamoure

Region 2

Thompson

Region 3

Dakota Prairie

Region 4

Grafton

Region 5

Munich

Region 6

Velva

Region 7

Bishop Ryan

Region 8

Washburn

What do you mean by Dakota Prairie is finally not goin to fail?  Dakota Prairie has been to state babe ruth the last 4 years.  In 2005 we took 5th place in high school state baseball.  The last two seasons we have finished 3rd in the region.  Two years ago we started 8th graders and only had 2 seniors.  Last season they didn't have a senior and again started a ton of underclassmen.  So I wouldn't say they have failed yet.....

i think he meant those players that played this year wont fail to make the state tournament...and i agree, dakota prairie will win that region because lakota chokes when the games matter in almost every sport
baseball1981

Postby PA42 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:13 am

I like hatton-northwood in region 2. They have a lot of guys back, but the main reason I like them is that they return the best player in the region in Ben Strand. He is very overrated. I like Kyle Funseth and Ryan Pladson in the middle infield and Tyler Bilden beat thompson so he i automatically a stud in my book. This will be a down region, I think thompson will be Ok because of coaching and the arm of Jake Cooley but i can't think of anyone else in the region.
PA42

Postby tadam6 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:18 pm

so your saying that because he beat thompson one time...he's automatically a "stud"....in your book...what is a stud?...a lot of pitchers have beaten thompson...they all must be studs
tadam6

Postby The stokker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:01 pm

i thint what he was tryin to say was that bilden is a good pitcher. You have to send a better than average pitcher to the mound against tomphson or you will have trouble. Tomphson and Hatton Northwood are my favs in this region they are both gonna be good. I would be it comes down to some great games
The stokker

Postby utilityman51 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:53 am

the reason bilden did so good against thompson was because hes a small left handed pitcher and his release point is really messed up he also doesnt have much for speed probably close to a babe ruth pitcher
utilityman51

Postby PA42 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:40 pm

tadam6 wrote:so your saying that because he beat thompson one time...he's automatically a "stud"....in your book...what is a stud?...a lot of pitchers have beaten thompson...they all must be studs
there are not whole heck of a lot pitchers from region 2 who have beaten thompson in a league game the last three years in high school or legion. I think Bilden is a good pitcher not because he throws hard or is a great athlete but because he hits his spots and stays cool and focused on the mound, which is so important in baseball.
PA42

Postby R3fan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:31 pm

But you do have to admit that for a sophomore numbers such as 8 IP, 5 Hits, and 2 runs, on one of the best teams in the state. That's pretty good in my book
R3fan

Postby tadam6 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:25 am

yeah i spose.....now...not to take anything away from the kid...but if thompson doesn't show up to play one day...any pitcher could beat them....not saying if thompson didnt show up to play that they still wouldn't win because they just know how to win.....but if a team doesnt show then anything can happen
tadam6

Postby The stokker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:01 pm

Ya thats very true and it will happen with any team. There is alway a day were they just aren't all the way into the game
The stokker

Postby R3fan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:48 pm

but im sticking with hatton-northwood winning this region and to be successful in the state tournament
R3fan

Next

Return to Class B