State Legion and the start of Football

Postby justbrowsing » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:29 pm

How are these schools football teams affected by the absences of the legion players?  Anybody really going to be down during week one because of the state tournament?
justbrowsing

Postby baseball1981 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:31 pm

justbrowsing wrote:How are these schools football teams affected by the absences of the legion players?  Anybody really going to be down during week one because of the state tournament?
our football coach is trying to get our players to go to practice instead of baseball but our coach went to the ad and superintendent and know i think everyone will be in bottineau for day 1-final day
baseball1981

Postby Baseball_7713 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Lamoure's head coach wants them to practice up their!!  Running and stuff!!
Baseball_7713

Postby baseball4life » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:01 am

there is no way that lamoure will be able to count that as a practice... unless they are just doing it to get better but i am thinking this is about number of practices to be able to play. there is a rule about practicing out of town and they do not count as an actual practice.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby twins guy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Dont you think you should know the story before you start running your mouth again....seems to happen alot baseball1981
Last edited by twins guy on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twins guy

Postby gophers18 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:59 pm

Just a thought  but when a player signs the player idemnification agreement at the begining of the season he is signing it with the intent he will play for that team until their season is completed as per the Legion Rule book that states this Page 6 Rule 8
The signing of form 1 by players and coaches is the commitment to play Legion baseball without interference from any other organized sport and is the guarentee that they will participate in tournament play as long as they are eligible or qualified. Pulling out of a tourney without the release of the Department Athelrtic committee will result in a $200 fine and a year suspension or probation from any legion baseball the following year including tournament play.   North Dakota rule book and also in the national rule book.
gophers18

Postby homer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:48 pm

i dont think the state legion commander or whoever sets up the season schedule did much research or contacted valley city to see when practice started  this year coaches were making game plans along time ago it is too bad they have to make a choice im not sure how some kids would choose
homer

Postby propel23 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:16 pm

the starting QB might not even be eligible for the first game
propel23

Postby gophers18 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:02 am

homer wrote:i dont think the state legion commander or whoever sets up the season schedule did much research or contacted valley city to see when practice started  this year coaches were making game plans along time ago it is too bad they have to make a choice im not sure how some kids would choose
The NDHSAA knows long before they schedule the start of football practice the dates for legion tournaments.  They use to start practice on the 14th but want to play games before school actually starts so moved it to the 8th of August.  I think they were very inconsiderate of the legion programs. By having games start early they can get two more in before they start the playoffs.  The state legion has its tournament dates already set for next year and NDHSAA doesn't maybe they(NDHSAA) should do a little research.
gophers18

Postby Tigger » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:13 am

homer wrote:i dont think the state legion commander or whoever sets up the season schedule did much research or contacted valley city to see when practice started  this year coaches were making game plans along time ago it is too bad they have to make a choice im not sure how some kids would choose

I'm sure the tournament dates are set up nationally so that they align with the national tournaments, and I doubt the ND people could have done anything about it.  What's going to happen to whoever wins the state tournament and has to play in the Regional in Beulah?  That'll be two weeks of football missed for them and Beulah.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justbrowsing » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:00 am

The start of football doesn't have anything to do with a specific date in August.  The Dakota Bowl is set on Veteran's Day weekend, then count back 8 game weeks plus playoffs to determine the first eligible game week.  Practice will start two and a half weeks before that.
justbrowsing

Postby homer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:10 am

i have heard some parents say that the football coach cant punish a player for missing practice for legion baseball( a non school event) but i bet the ndhsaa can and will if someone plays and does not have 9 practices in it is a shame that the kids have to chose like that i think there is alot more football scholarships or kids that would be better qualified out there than there is baseball scholarships 
homer

Postby brownbomber » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:26 am

homer wrote:i have heard some parents say that the football coach cant punish a player for missing practice for legion baseball( a non school event) but i bet the ndhsaa can and will if someone plays and does not have 9 practices in it is a shame that the kids have to chose like that i think there is alot more football scholarships or kids that would be better qualified out there than there is baseball scholarships 

i think your wrong if your talking D-1 scholarships, we have had some great baseball players come out of nd and have had great football players too i just dont think football has as much as baseball does
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby homer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 am

i am not talking just d-1 there are alot good schools in the region that have great academics along with good athletic programs the world doesnt revolve around just d-1 if a kid can get his school paid for and go on with a good job im all for it alot of kids pass up scholarships at d-2 to walk on at a d-1 and they dont  know what lies ahead
homer

Return to Class B