Section 3-toughest region in the state

Postby cubsfan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:46 pm

10 a.m.-Fargo Bombers #2 vs. Central Valley-Hillsboro #7

1 p.m.-Hope #3 vs. Gardiner #6

4 p.m.-Thompson #1 vs. May-Port #8

7 p.m.-Hatton #4 vs. Casselton #5

My picks for the first round are Fargo, Hope Thompson and Hatton.

Tournament is being held in Hatton.
Last edited by cubsfan on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:50 pm

cubsfan wrote:10 a.m.-Fargo Bombers #2 vs. Central Valley-Hillsboro #7

1 p.m.-Hope #3 vs. Gardiner #6

4 p.m.-Thompson #1 vs. May-Port #8

7 p.m.-Hatton #4 vs. Casselton #5

My picks for the first round are Fargo, Hope Thompson and Hatton.

Tournament is being held in Hatton.
All games have the potential of being close.
PA42

Postby ballaholic#3 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:17 pm

who said this is the toughest section in the state?
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:52 pm

It could be the hardest...fargo, thompson, are good teams, hope, hatton, casselton i think was said, their all mediocore teams, but thats more good teams than most sections have...most only have 2 maybe 3 tops
baseball1981

Postby PA42 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:29 pm

baseball1981 wrote:It could be the hardest...fargo, thompson, are good teams, hope, hatton, casselton i think was said, their all mediocore teams, but thats more good teams than most sections have...most only have 2 maybe 3 tops
casselton dominated a tournament and defeated some of the top teams from other leagues. Hope-Page has defeated thompson and i think other than thompson would have the best chance to do well in the state tournament. Hatton, Gardner, and CV-Hillsboro are better than average legion baseball teams. And mpcg has competed with all of the teams. I don't know if it is the toughest but definitely competitive from top to bottom.
PA42

Postby Number7 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:35 pm

horne98 wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:It could be the hardest...fargo, thompson, are good teams, hope, hatton, casselton i think was said, their all mediocore teams, but thats more good teams than most sections have...most only have 2 maybe 3 tops
casselton dominated a tournament and defeated some of the top teams from other leagues. Hope-Page has defeated thompson and i think other than thompson would have the best chance to do well in the state tournament. Hatton, Gardner, and CV-Hillsboro are better than average legion baseball teams. And mpcg has competed with all of the teams. I don't know if it is the toughest but definitely competitive from top to bottom.

dont forget fargo in that mix
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:58 am

Number7 wrote:
horne98 wrote:

dont forget fargo in that mix
i didn't he put them as a good team and i did not disagree but they will not go to state.
PA42

Postby ndfootball06 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:20 am

ballaholic#3 wrote:who said this is the toughest section in the state?

imo section 4 is the most competitive section top to bottom.  the top 4 teams are all tough in langdon (33-2 with 2 losses coming from devil's lake), grafton, midway-minto and park river. munich, who took 2nd at state, nelson county, made up of dakota prairie kids that had a good high school team, and the grand forks blues who are always tough wrap up the bottom of the section.  there's no real way to tell what section is toughest but i'm gonna say section 4, and i pick whoever comes out of this section to win state.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:21 am

section 4 is a tough section i will give you that. who is coaching midway minto this year.
PA42

Postby ndfootball06 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:01 am

horne98 wrote:section 4 is a tough section i will give you that. who is coaching midway minto this year.

dennis horner
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Number7 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:02 am

How deep are the pitching staffs of the top teams in sections 3 and 4?  or who has the deepest staff in each section?   everybody knows that plays a big deal in tournament time
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:16 am

ndfootball06 wrote:
horne98 wrote:section 4 is a tough section i will give you that. who is coaching midway minto this year.

dennis horner
thats is good to hear. He's a good coach and a great guy.
Last edited by PA42 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby PA42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:24 am

Number7 wrote:How deep are the pitching staffs of the top teams in sections 3 and 4?  or who has the deepest staff in each section?   everybody knows that plays a big deal in tournament time
In section 3 Thompson has three pitchers (Greek, SYrstad, and Swatlowski) and very little after that. Fargo has a lot of pitchers and the two that I have seen are good. Hope has a good ace in neset and has several other guys who can get the job done (Duffy, Severson, and THorson all have wins in leauge play) Hatton has David Dafforn, Ben Strand, TOny Lenz, and Tyler Bilden and they are all fairly consistent. Casselton has a pretty deep staff incling rust, Jared Brown, Zach Frappier, Nate Novak, Sam Back, Matt Sundquist and if healty anthony fontana. Gardner has two good pitchers in Nate King and Justin Dunn. CV-HIllsboro has Andrew Mikkleson, Casey Sundeen, and Jake Olsen. And alex berry for may-port is as good as any starter in the league. Adam Fyre and Ethan Kyllo both pitch for may-port as well.
PA42

Postby ndfootball06 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:25 am

Number7 wrote:How deep are the pitching staffs of the top teams in sections 3 and 4?  or who has the deepest staff in each section?   everybody knows that plays a big deal in tournament time

langdon has 2 or 3 good pitchers, grafton has about the same, and midway-minto has 1 or 2...even the 7 seeded blues have howe and bancroft who have won a few games for the royals this year
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfootball06 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:27 am

horne98 wrote:
In section 3 Thompson has three pitchers (Greek, SYrstad, and Swatlowski) and very little after that. Fargo has a lot of pitchers and the two that I have seen are good. Hope has a good ace in neset and has several other guys who can get the job done (Duffy, Severson, and THorson all have wins in leauge play) Hatton has David Dafforn, Ben Strand, TOny Lenz, and Tyler Bilden and they are all fairly consistent. Casselton has a pretty deep staff incling rust, Jared Brown, Zach Frappier, Nate Novak, Sam Back, Matt Sundquist and if healty anthony fontana. Gardner has two good pitchers in Nate King and Justin Dunn. CV-HIllsboro has Andrew Mikkleson, Casey Sundeen, and Jake Olsen. And alex berry for may-port is as good as any starter in the league. Adam Fyre and Ethan Kyllo both pitch for may-port as well.

what is that neset from hope like? i've never seen him throw
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:30 am

ndfootball06 wrote:
horne98 wrote:

what is that neset from hope like? i've never seen him throw.
Neset throw pretty well. His fastball hits high 70's and his curveball his good enough to get some strikeouts. he does tend to have one bad inning a game though. And control have been a problem.
PA42

Postby ndfootball06 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:33 am

horne98 wrote:
ndfootball06 wrote:
horne98 wrote:

what is that neset from hope like? i've never seen him throw.
Neset throw pretty well. His fastball hits high 70's and his curveball his good enough to get some strikeouts. he does tend to have one bad inning a game though. And control have been a problem.
high 70's? he looks like he could be hittin high 80's with his size
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby dogg » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:09 pm

First two games completed. Fargo Bombers won their game & Hope-Finley just won.
dogg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Number7 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:11 pm

dogg wrote:First two games completed. Fargo Bombers won their game & Hope-Finley just won.

scores? and who pitched?
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby dogg » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:14 pm

Sorry I didn't catch the first game. But Neset pitched for H-F, score 5-2. Sounded like he did a good job. Thanks scc for the web link, it comes in handy when you can't be there.
dogg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby shs01240 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:30 pm

GO BOMBERS!!!......sorry.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:41 pm

i don't want to admit but if there is a team that could defeat thompson judging by today ir would be fargo. THey looked very good. But thompson was dominant. who cares who their oppenent was. greek was throwing hard like usual and had his curveball going over for strikes. The hope Gardner game was very well played. A good pitchers duel until a hope got a couple bloop singles and a questionable call or two. But nontheless a nice victory for hope over a game gardner squad. Tommorow I look for a close game between hope and fargo but if i had to make a prediction i would say fargo because hope may be low on pitching. I feel that gardner will beat cv-hillsboro tommorow in a tough game. Although the hatton game is not final but if they won. I think thompson would defeat hatton. And if mayport does play casselton it would probably be a tight match up with mayports ace berry on the mound. Still an interesting tournament but thompson is right now the favorite.
PA42

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:55 pm

when was there a questionable call in the HF vs. Gardener game....? j/w
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:31 am

BballFan1307 wrote:when was there a questionable call in the HF vs. Gardener game....? j/w
Although it was only one call it was in the bottom of the fourth when hope scored 4 of their runs. With guys on first and second and one out nate king (the pitcher) picked off a runner and from where i was sitting it looked like he was out. But you know what it was a well deserved win by a good hope team.
PA42

Postby Tigger » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:54 am

How about a hand for Matt Greek of Thompson?  He walked the first batter he faced and then struck out the next nine.  Marcus Bergstrom came on in relief and took the K streak to 10 before MayPort put the ball in play.  The Tommies just avoided throwing a combined no-hitter by giving up a single in the 5th.  If Thompson keeps the momentum going, I'm not sure Hope-Finley or the Bombers would be able to beat them, and they'd probably be the only two teams that could knock Thompson off.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Class B