Section 3-toughest region in the state

Postby highheat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:20 pm

anybody know how the games went today?
highheat

Postby PA42 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:03 am

casselton just upset hope-finley by a score of 12-3. And by the way casselton swung the bats it would not totally shock me if if they make it to the championship game. THey play the loser of the THompson-Fargo Bombers game. the reason i think casselton has a shot is because of the way coach scott radloff has used his pitchers. On day 1 he pitched the guy who he felt was their ace (Brandon Rust) against hatton. And then yesterday against may-port he split the pitching between three different guys and then got a complete game performance from Jared Brown. So right now casselton could throw any of three guys that threw yesterday, they could also throw rust or anthony fontana has not thrown yet in the tournament. That upset made the tournament a little more interesting.
PA42

Postby PA42 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:53 pm

scc wrote:Friday Games

Loser-Out Play

#5 Casselton 12
#3 Hope-Finley 3

#4 Hatton 4
#7 Central Valley-Hillsboro 2
(Spencer Huus walk-off Grand Slam in the Bottom of the 7th, on an 0-2 pitch with 2 out)

Winners Bracket Play
#2 Fargo Bombers 8
#1 Thompson 5
(9 innings)
wow after the first two days full of blow outs the thrid day really delivered. It will be interesting to see how thompson bounces back against a game casselton team.
PA42

Postby shs01240 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:06 am

The way everything is panning out reminds me of last year's tournament.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:20 am

according to the herald hatton plays casselton and the winner plays thompson. but thats not what the bracket looks like and i believe that would be different than past years.
PA42

Postby shs01240 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:31 am

I'm just sayin i see thompson getting to the championship game. Personally, i hope the bombers don't choke like they did last year.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:22 pm

hatton just defeated casselton 1-0 in the bottom of the tenth inning. It sounded like both teams played their hearts out. The sad part is that i just don't see hatton being able to beat thompson but who knows. wow it is impressive that casselton's pitcher went nine and 2/3 innings today. Two nailbiters for hatton the last two days.
PA42

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:42 pm

horne98 wrote:
ndfootball06 wrote:
horne98 wrote:section 4 is a tough section i will give you that. who is coaching midway minto this year.

dennis horner
thats is good to hear. He's a good coach and a great guy.

Great guy--- yes. Good coach--- ???. only strategically for the most part. Good coach doesnt have the #3 hitter who hasnt gotten out yet that day in a state loser out game to make it to the championship down one run bunt the runner over to third with no out so they can then walk the next two hitters that are hitting .500 or better with major home run potential over the course of the year to strike out the next three who are hitting sub .250. Fundamentals of the game also not so much.
Last edited by InTheKnow on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby highheat » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:34 pm

any word on the thompson-bombers game?
highheat

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:54 pm

thompson won the first game and is ahead in the 2nd game 11-10 its a slugfest 5 homeruns combined
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:01 pm

Thompson beat the the Fargo Bombers 15-14.  Zach Kvidt hit a walk off in the bottom of the seventh.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shs01240 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:08 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1043]cubsfan[/user] wrote:
Thompson beat the the Fargo Bombers 15-14.  Zach Kvidt hit a walk off in the bottom of the seventh.
</span>

That second game was a freakin circus. Nasty hops, errors, and fly ball homeruns. Spencer wolfe had 3 homeruns, 2 of which were grand slams. Congrats to the Tommies...i guess.

Personally, I vote section tournaments should not be held at any field with dimensions less than 300. 292 to centerfield is a joke.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kingjames » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:47 pm

i agree completely the game was wild. line drive single turned into an rbi double when it bounce four feet over the center fielders head.  there were two legit homeruns hit tonight one on each side.  292 is a weak center field fence... fly ball outs....  but hopefully thompson represents the section well. goodluck
kingjames
NDPreps Starter

Postby kingjames » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:54 am

casselton? no its 365 to center. reynolds? no its 324 to center. jack williams? ya...390 there. hope?
kingjames
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:56 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=2209]kingjames[/user] wrote:
casselton? no its 365 to center. reynolds? no its 324 to center. jack williams? ya...390 there. hope?
</span>

Thompson's like 420 haha
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:00 am

I believ hope is about 350-360
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:04 pm

horne98 wrote:i honestly don't know much about his coaching strategy, but always seems like he has his guys ready to play. And for the most part he put out competitive teams even when his numbers are scarce.

Easy to do when you are combining two HS programs into one summer program where you get the most interested and talented players playing. He had nothing to do with the success they had in 2000-2003. The only way they dont win state in 2000 was if he some how screwed it up like he did in 2003. The talent on that team was unmatched. They are ready to play in understanding situations so they dont beat themselves but the talent that has gone through that program has been completely untapped and unrefined by the time they get to HS. A great example- David Schneck a senior in 2003 who went on to start 4 years at Mayville State in the outfield hit 13 home runs over his three years of babe ruth including 5 in just 16 games his last year. His entire senior year of HS and legion he hit a combined 2 in 80 games playing on the exact same fields against the same kids despite being much stronger by then. The difference, Horner messed up his swing by making him an inside out slap hitter and teaches very little mechanically that was correct when it came to pitching and hitting.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 am

scc wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
horne98 wrote:i honestly don't know much about his coaching strategy, but always seems like he has his guys ready to play. And for the most part he put out competitive teams even when his numbers are scarce.

Easy to do when you are combining two HS programs into one summer program where you get the most interested and talented players playing. He had nothing to do with the success they had in 2000-2003. The only way they dont win state in 2000 was if he some how screwed it up like he did in 2003. The talent on that team was unmatched. They are ready to play in understanding situations so they dont beat themselves but the talent that has gone through that program has been completely untapped and unrefined by the time they get to HS. A great example- David Schneck a senior in 2003 who went on to start 4 years at Mayville State in the outfield hit 13 home runs over his three years of babe ruth including 5 in just 16 games his last year. His entire senior year of HS and legion he hit a combined 2 in 80 games playing on the exact same fields against the same kids despite being much stronger by then. The difference, Horner messed up his swing by making him an inside out slap hitter and teaches very little mechanically that was correct when it came to pitching and hitting.

He can't be nearly as bad as you say if they won a state title in 2000.  Also, they had talent in 2003, but they were not the best team.  It's quite obvious what your feelings are for the guy.  You must have played for him to know him so well.

Lets just say alot of players were going to an outside source for individual help. If you didnt see that team play then you have no idea how much talent they had that year. Midway alone during HS blew going to state after only one loss in the region regular season. For Legion that summer they added from Minto a lefty throwing 83-85 who struck out 100 batters on the year, a #5 hitter to DH and catch, a short stop who hit 8 and fielded well and then some depth on the mound for the regular season. They had a pitcher that went 8-0 on the year throwing around 80-81 that was Region 2 player of the year the following HS season that wasnt good enough to pitch at state Legion the previous summer. Coaching had nothing to do with that team because they killed everyone from the time they were 10 years old. Their pitching staff if I remember right didnt allow a run the entire district tournament against Drayton, Cavalier, and Grafton. The depth of tallent was overwhelming. The following year some questionable moves cost them even getting out of the districts and even got 10-runned despite going undefeated rather handily during the regular seson. Dont get me wrong, lots of respect for the guy but successful coaches continue to make players out of nothing. He only wins when he has abundant tallent. Make the lineup and get out of the way was the best way to run that team. (I'm not going to go into how many arm injuries there were because of miss management of the staff that year. Lets just say more then one surgery and missed college opportunities)
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 am

scc wrote:Thompson beat Hatton 3-0.  Thompson outhit Hatton 4-2, as the Kjemhus brothers each hit homers.
haven't been on here in a while, but I think you got one little thing wrong.. I believe I gave up 5 hits that game, Kjemhus's each had a home run, Kvidt had 2 hits, and Casey Nelson had a hit.. If I'm not mistaken...
thunderbaseball_38

Previous

Return to Class B