Lack of Players

Postby deere » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Is it just me or are the numbers for legion ball players getting less and less every year? Is there a reason to blame? small town,lack of interest,bad coach or what?
deere

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:19 pm

small towns and kids want to make money working
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:48 am

[url=/users/611.html]deere[/url] wrote:
Is it just me or are the numbers for legion ball players getting less and less every year? Is there a reason to blame? small town,lack of interest,bad coach or what?

i blame it on high school baseball.
basketballer

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:44 pm

basketballer wrote:[url=/users/611.html]deere[/url] wrote:

yea...i said that in a thread about which is bettter having HS ball or not.  some kids just get burnt out and want a change, i agree with that
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:45 am

Take a look around, it's happening in every sport. It has to do with the parents not pushing kids into liking sports and doing whatever. There are so many more things to do than just the main three sports these days then there was years ago, too.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:28 pm

It has nothing to do with high school baseball. It has to do with specializing in other sports, feeling the need to work even though after you turn 18 you will have to work for the next 50 years of your life, and just plain lazyness with no parental kick in the back side. There is no sense of "I only have a few years to be able to play". They specialize in basketball and go to two or three camps. They spend the summer lifting for football. As for baseball, they never grew up playing in the open lot on their own playing just to play the game. Everything has to be structured now or they wont play. You never see kids having a pick up game somewhere. So they grow up failing at the game, never throwing enough to develop their arm or hitting enough to learn how to hit a curve ball, struggle for success which makes it no fun and then they quit.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:46 am

InTheKnow wrote:

It has nothing to do with high school baseball. It has to do with specializing in other sports, feeling the need to work even though after you turn 18 you will have to work for the next 50 years of your life, and just plain lazyness with no parental kick in the back side. There is no sense of "I only have a few years to be able to play". They specialize in basketball and go to two or three camps. They spend the summer lifting for football. As for baseball, they never grew up playing in the open lot on their own playing just to play the game. Everything has to be structured now or they wont play. You never see kids having a pick up game somewhere. So they grow up failing at the game, never throwing enough to develop their arm or hitting enough to learn how to hit a curve ball, struggle for success which makes it no fun and then they quit.

when i was younger we would play pickup games for 4-5 hours a day almost every day.  maybe thats why we had success in high school is because everyday we had 8-12 kids playin in a lot somewhere and if we got enough we would go to the actual field
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby brownbomber » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:57 am

baseball wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:

when i was younger we would play pickup games for 4-5 hours a day almost every day.  maybe thats why we had success in high school is because everyday we had 8-12 kids playin in a lot somewhere and if we got enough we would go to the actual field

when i was younger we would always play whiff all day everyday
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:11 pm

good job.....i guess i just said it because he said they didnt play pickup games....when i look back i realize it didnt need to be said huh?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Class B