Legion Ball and HS ball

Postby always a sports season » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:17 pm

How much of a disadvantage do you think Legion teams have if their school does not have spring baseball?  It seems like it's really tough at the beginning of the Legion season when those teams without high school ball start out playing teams who've already had a season's experience.  It also seems those kids are at a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to college coaches looking at them. 
always a sports season

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:22 pm

i believe they have a disadvantage to start the season but by the end they have a mental advantage.  kids that play legion ball and high school get burnt out towards the end of the season.  they are still kids and want to be doing other things in hte summer then play baseball games 3-4 days a week.  now some cases kids want to play baseball everyday all year and thats fine, but the fact is some kids get "sick" of playing for the season and could care less if they advance or not.  saying that, i know kids will go out every game and play 100% but while some kids will be mad they lost others will just say "o well we played hard".  so mentally, the kids who dont play high school have an advantage IMO....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:36 pm

What towns that have leigon teams don't have high school teams?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:50 pm

im gonna count Napoleon even tho they were with steele because only 2 kids played
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:16 pm

Edgeley, Lisbon, Oakes, Linton, Wishek, Ellendale.  LaMoure is the only team in that section with a high school team.
Last edited by hoopsstar2391 on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:33 am

is it LaMoure county for High school or jsut the schol
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

always a sports season wrote:How much of a disadvantage do you think Legion teams have if their school does not have spring baseball?  It seems like it's really tough at the beginning of the Legion season when those teams without high school ball start out playing teams who've already had a season's experience.  It also seems those kids are at a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to college coaches looking at them.
It really depends on how much the kids enjoy baseball.  There are some kids that will just play high school and some kids just legion.  The kids that play both have and don't have a great passion for the game are at a big loss.  Those kids will get tired of playing the same old game over and over.   They play 20-25 games during high school and anywhere from 30-65 over the summer.  So that is a lot of baseball.  Some people can and some people can't.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:19 pm

cubsfan wrote:
always a sports season wrote:How much of a disadvantage do you think Legion teams have if their school does not have spring baseball?  It seems like it's really tough at the beginning of the Legion season when those teams without high school ball start out playing teams who've already had a season's experience.  It also seems those kids are at a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to college coaches looking at them.
It really depends on how much the kids enjoy baseball.  There are some kids that will just play high school and some kids just legion.  The kids that play both have and don't have a great passion for the game are at a big loss.  Those kids will get tired of playing the same old game over and over.   They play 20-25 games during high school and anywhere from 30-65 over the summer.  So that is a lot of baseball.  Some people can and some people can't.

i said the same thing right away....im glad someone has the same opinion tho
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby berry186 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 pm

baseball wrote:is it LaMoure county for High school or jsut the schol
its just the school
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basketballer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:52 am

i think it is an advantage to not have high school baseball. some kids get burned out by the end of the legion season. so i guess i agree with baseball.
Last edited by basketballer on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
basketballer

Postby tadam6 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:44 pm

well if your a dedicated player then its a complete disadvantage to not have highschool ball...
tadam6

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:32 pm

tadam6 wrote:well if your a dedicated player then its a complete disadvantage to not have highschool ball...

100% true...but how many kids can honestly say they want to play 100 or so games in one year?  i would i love the game, but to alot of hte kids the days get to repeated and they want a change
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby always a sports season » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:26 pm

baseball wrote:
tadam6 wrote:well if your a dedicated player then its a complete disadvantage to not have highschool ball...

100% true...but how many kids can honestly say they want to play 100 or so games in one year?  i would i love the game, but to alot of hte kids the days get to repeated and they want a change

I agree that if you're a dedicated player it is a disadvantage. And I have five kids on the tip of my tongue in my area that would love to play 100 games if given the chance.  When it's Legion state tournament time I'll bet there'll be very few that didn't have spring ball. 

And I am still wondering about college coaches noticing a player.  Also, I sometimes wonder if the Legion coaches are as high a caliber as what the high school coaches may be - and that leaves some kids out learning fundamentals or improving their skills by learning proper technique.
always a sports season

Postby brownbomber » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:03 pm

i think having high school especially helps since this season they played with wood bats. the kids learned to hit the ball square and now with aluminum have found that hidden power and are launching the ball out of the park
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby always a sports season » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:38 pm

brownbomber wrote:i think having high school especially helps since this season they played with wood bats. the kids learned to hit the ball square and now with aluminum have found that hidden power and are launching the ball out of the park

So do you think it would it benefit  teams to practice with wood bats?
always a sports season

Postby Jrod26 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 pm

always a sports season wrote:
brownbomber wrote:i think having high school especially helps since this season they played with wood bats. the kids learned to hit the ball square and now with aluminum have found that hidden power and are launching the ball out of the park

So do you think it would it benefit  teams to practice with wood bats?

personally i think it would. with aluminum the players just want to hit bombs and if they hit line drives and hard ground balls they get upset cuz they didnt get one or two out. I think it makes players get out front of offspeed stuff in games cuz they just want to jump on fastballs.         i agree with brownbomber on the power factor (even though with wood on the right tiny spot its the same as aluminum) ive noticed many more homeruns in the games and papers than during highschool ball.
The harder its comin the farther its goin.
Jrod26
NDPreps Starter

Postby gophers18 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:05 am

always a sports season wrote:
baseball wrote:

I agree that if you're a dedicated player it is a disadvantage. And I have five kids on the tip of my tongue in my area that would love to play 100 games if given the chance.  When it's Legion state tournament time I'll bet there'll be very few that didn't have spring ball. 

And I am still wondering about college coaches noticing a player.  Also, I sometimes wonder if the Legion coaches are as high a caliber as what the high school coaches may be - and that leaves some kids out learning fundamentals or improving their skills by learning proper technique.
there is always good and bad to both seasons high school and legion same with coaching there are great and bad high school and same with legion.  There are legion coaches that have been around for quit some time and and the reason they are still around is because they have great programs and year after year put out competative teams. Same with high school.  I have seen legion programs with a different coach every year and they are the ones that don't survive but the same with high school.  as far as college scouts go.  In the summer most college scouts go south because of the higher caliber players but if there is a player in North Dakota who is college material they will get noticed or at least looked at. If a coach feels a player of his is worthy to be looked at then they should contact   the college  coaches in this area.  most are very responsive and appreciate the contact.  just remember though as a coach your reputation is on the line if you keep thinking a plsyer is college material and really isn't.  Eventually college coaches will stop looking at your program.
gophers18

Return to Class B