NDHSAA

Should postseason tournaments be cancelled?

Yes
31%
No
69%
No opinion
No votes

Total votes : 16

Postby ballaholic#3 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:52 am

Region 7 tournament cancelled due to weather. Minot Ryan advances to state automatically from being number 1 seed in regular season. NDHSAA will not allow tournament to resume past today (Wednesday) for reasons unknown. personally i feel like my senior baseball career was a waste. no one knew the regular season would determine the winner when players missed games via track meets or school trips. maybe the men in blue suits should allow the winner to advance by their play in a postseason tournament rather then by their bylaws. anyone else's thoughts on this subject would be appreciated whether you agree or disagree.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:52 am

I'm going to have to agree with ballaholic#3 on this one. Tough way to end your senior season.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:07 pm

baller01 wrote:I'm going to have to agree with ballaholic#3 on this one. Tough way to end your senior season.

I'll have to agree with both of you, really tough way to end your senior season. Even though it is a rule, its too bad because it takes away from the upset by the underdog which is the great thing about sports. Take region 1 for example, with the experience and talent Lamoure had back plus the other great teams in that region, who would have thought the 6 seed would be going to state. With regions that are very balanced, it would be nice to see the games played out instead of giving the 1 seed the bid for state.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby tingly » Wed May 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Hopefully Region 7 moves Round 1 to Friday or Saturday like some of the other regions, if possible.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Y-not Daily » Wed May 23, 2007 12:59 pm

I guess I don't see why they can't extend it to the end of the week. Most of these towns with teams competing in the regions are already out of school, so that isn't an issue and the state tournament doesn't start until a week from Thursday.

I guess there may be some kids who are in both track or golf and baseball, but that shouldn't mean the rest of the team can't play during the weekend. I really don't see any good reason to not complete the postponed games when weather allows it.
Y-not Daily

Postby tingly » Wed May 23, 2007 1:12 pm

To ensure that all pitchers are available for their full 12 innings at State, region tournies have to end today. What gets me is Region 7 had their play-in game 9 days ago and didn't resume the regional until 2 days ago.
Last edited by tingly on Wed May 23, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby triple » Wed May 23, 2007 1:51 pm

Do you think if DLB beat Ryan that they would of let DLB go to the state tournament or not because Ryan was #1?
triple

Postby ballaholic#3 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:05 pm

no it would not have mattered because the region 7 coaches before the season voted that the highest remaining seed remaining in the tournament would automatically be awarded the state tournament berth. so really the region 7 tournament never happened. and i believe now that there are possibly 3 other regions dealing with the same situation.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby tingly » Wed May 23, 2007 2:12 pm

The tourney sort of happened cuz Ryan could have been eliminated. I know what you mean, though.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:51 pm

tingly wrote:To ensure that all pitchers are available for their full 12 innings at State, region tournies have to end today. What gets me is Region 7 had their play-in game 9 days ago and didn't resume the regional until 2 days ago.

If that is true, how come Class A doesnt start their regional tourney till Thursday?

bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Wed May 23, 2007 3:20 pm

6. Pitching regulations are as follows: An individual may pitch a maximum of 14 innings
in any seven-day period. A player may pitch only 12 innings or make only three appearances as
a pitcher in a one, two or three consecutive day tournament. (The penalty for violation is; forfeit the
game in which the violation occurred and the student who violated must sit out the next scheduled game
at that level). Each pitcher will have a full compliment of innings for the state tournament
providing there is a minimum of four days rest prior to the state tournament (pitch on the fifth
day). Pitching innings are counted in thirds.

State Tournament Qualifying:
Class B will qualify eight teams for the tournament through region tournaments to be concluded
on or before Wednesday, May 23rd. Class A will qualify eight teams for the tournament through
region tournaments to be concluded on or before May 26th. Be sure to schedule region
tournaments while allowing for inclement weather!
Last edited by ndfan on Wed May 23, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball_12 » Wed May 23, 2007 3:33 pm

no becuase DLB wouldent beat ryan anyway
bball_12

Postby tingly » Wed May 23, 2007 4:13 pm

[user=1615]bballfan_05[/user] wrote:
tingly wrote:To ensure that all pitchers are available for their full 12 innings at State, region tournies have to end today. What gets me is Region 7 had their play-in game 9 days ago and didn't resume the regional until 2 days ago.

If that is true, how come Class A doesnt start their regional tourney till Thursday?

Huh, sounds like I don't have it figured out. I waas thinking Class A State was a week later.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:48 pm

tingly wrote:[user=1615]bballfan_05[/user] wrote:

�
Huh, sounds like I don't have it figured out. I waas thinking Class A State was a week later.
It makes no sense to me.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ballaholic#3 » Wed May 23, 2007 5:43 pm

bball_12 wrote:no becuase DLB wouldent beat ryan anyway

i got no problem with Minot Ryan people and i don't know if you are from there but you are an idiot for saying that. the whole concept of baseball is that anything can happen. DLB was beating Minot Ryan for 6 innings on Monday and if some breaks would have went there way in the end DLB would have won. So to say that DLB wouldn't beat ryan is retarded. Doesn't matter anyway because no team got to play. Maybe Minot Ryan would have beat DLB, but shouldn't they get a chance to play.

As far as Class A getting all the time in the world to finish their tournaments seems a little different. Why is the rule about finishing by Wednesday in place anyway? You know those shirts that say "baseball is timeless" obviously have never been seen by the people in Valley City. I think everyone in my situation would just want a state tournament to be decided between the lines rather then by men in blue suits who hand out trophies to kids they don't care about.
Last edited by ballaholic#3 on Wed May 23, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tigger » Thu May 24, 2007 3:02 am

The Dakota Athletic Conference handed out conference titles to Dickinson in baseball and softball this spring even though the DAC baseball tournament was only half done and the softball players never even played a tournament game, so it's by no means just a high school issue.   Leagues set deadlines on these tournaments so that teams can get proper time to rest/prepare for the next round.  It's too bad that people have their career ended by crap like this, but it happens. 
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu May 24, 2007 8:04 am

i woudl rather have it end this way, ive heard stories that regions were doing coin flips?  pretty sure i would protest the state tournament if that happened, but it didnt so o well it was just a story i heard.  this way atleast the success in the regualr season pays off
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Class B