Fastball
29%
Curveball
39%
Changeup
16%

Total votes : 38

Postby experiencingtechnicaldiff » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:19 pm

What is the best pitch to throw in High School baseball to strike someone out?

My vote goes for a the high heat. If you can throw decently hard, it is hard for high school hitters to catch up to something around the neck...
Last edited by experiencingtechnicaldiff on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." -Red Auerbach
experiencingtechnicaldiff
NDPreps Starter

Postby berry186 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:27 pm

experiencingtechnicaldifficulties wrote:What is the best pitch to throw in High School baseball to strike someone out?

My vote goes for a the high heat. If you can throw decently hard, it is hard for high school hitters to catch up to something around the neck...

i agree with him high heat    changes eye angle if dont swing and is a good waste pitch      then you can change speeds after that pitch
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby knights4 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:27 pm

i agree probably the hardest pitch to hit, i dont think it even has to be a decent speed. it so decieving, it seems like it commin right down the tube, then u swing at a ball at ur eyes and walk back to the dugout wondering what the heck u were doing  
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby experiencingtechnicaldiff » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:33 pm

its fun as a pitcher when you strike someone out on that and the player who strikes out yells while meandering back to the dugout.. "WHY DID I SWING AT THAT!?" Good times, good times!! It is one of the most decieving pitches to hit. If you swing, you will probably pop it up or foul off or miss everything.. There really isn't a winning situation in that if you swing...
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." -Red Auerbach
experiencingtechnicaldiff
NDPreps Starter

Postby Number7 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:37 pm

High heat especially with wood bats, but you throw that pitch high and out of the zone on 0-2 and follow it with the circle change-up low and away. Theres a beautiful Strike out for You! or having someone bail out and watch a curve drop over the middle of plate is nice too
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby berry186 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:37 pm

you have some of those swings being the tomohawk swings   that is fun to watch
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndpreps » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:38 pm

Gotta be the curve specially if its good.  So sweet when the kid just bails or his knees just buckle and swings hoping to make contact.
ndpreps
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Strike3? » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:40 pm

Changeup, best pitch in baseball and a good strike out pitch
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndpreps » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:43 pm

Anything that makes the batter look foolish.
ndpreps
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Number7 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Strike3? wrote:Changeup, best pitch in baseball and a good strike out pitch

I definately agree, the hardest to master but when effective its amazing.  It definately should be taught before the curveball to young ptichers, just like a fastball on the arm and changes speed and eye-level. Its the most underrated pitch and is nasty when effective  A.K.A. Johan Santana, best change-up = Best MLB pitcher, but his change isnt the only reason he's so good
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby knights4 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:52 pm

it's effective if u can throw a hard enough fastball, to make the change that much more harder to hit, santana throws 95, so the changeup looks like a fastball but it's slower, in high school guys dont throw that hard so the speed differencial is less, so if u get fooled u still can make good contact because it's not 15 mph slower like santana's is
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Yea thats a very good point but it is great for easy groundballs to the left side and alot of 6-3 put outs, especially since it should dive down hitters get on top of it and pound it into the ground
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby knights4 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:01 pm

there's no doubt about that, but i was talking strikeout pitches, and i think the best is the high heat in high school, but there are always exceptions, someone may have an exceptional curve, change, ect 
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby beachy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:42 am

I personally as being a pitcher for boht school baseball and legion baseball i liek to use the curve to strike a guy out but if it is not working that day or nigh then i jsut go with a high fast ball......
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ricky bobby » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:38 pm

what about a fastball low and away
"If you ain't first your last"-Reece Bobby
"I'm just one big hairy American winning machine"-Ricky Bobby
ricky bobby
NDPreps Starter

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:48 pm

depends on the pitcher... last year kevin buxa could keep batters guessing and strike them out with a fastball, slider, or change up.....i pitched alot in babe ruth and in legion and the best strike out pitch for me was a curve ball that drops in the dirt
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby footballfanwatcher_99 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:09 pm

i agree curveball is the best, drops down and catches them looking, best strike out is to have them go down looking
footballfanwatcher_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby power-aid14 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:11 pm

no, the best strike-out pitch has got to be the Gyroball. i ring kids up constantly  with it....considering it is my best pitch
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby footballfanwatcher_99 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:40 pm

ya i bet its not a true gyroball, just a screwball, one the other post someone put that only 2 people in the pros have thrown a true gyro ball, so ya bet its not a true gyroball just a screwball.
Last edited by footballfanwatcher_99 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
footballfanwatcher_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:15 pm

footballfanwatcher_99 wrote:ya i bet its not a true gyroball, just a screwball, one the other post someone put that only 2 people in the pros have thrown a true gyro ball, so ya bet its not a true gyroball just a screwball.

im gonna go out on a limb and say that he wasnt being seirous sayin he can throw that pitch
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby knights4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:24 pm

that's pretty sturdy limb more like a tree trunk, i will guarentee he was kidding, but hey ya never maybe he's matuzaka himself 
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby brownbomber » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:30 pm

i would go with the low and away or high cheddar and a low inside change up definately the most decieving and hardest to get a piece of
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby knights4 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:07 pm

i'm suprised at how many of u said changeup, are u talking high school, or majors, cause i dont think most guys at the high school level can throw a hard enough fastball to make the changeup effective
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby power-aid14 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 am

sodadrinker wrote:
footballfanwatcher_99 wrote:ya i bet its not a true gyroball, just a screwball, one the other post someone put that only 2 people in the pros have thrown a true gyro ball, so ya bet its not a true gyroball just a screwball.

im gonna go out on a limb and say that he wasnt being seirous sayin he can throw that pitch

thank you sodadrinker...you understood the joke.
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison Rule » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:09 am

I don't know if I'd call a change up the best stike out pitch, but I think it is the best pitch, period (especially if you can make it dip a little bit).   For one thing, very few kids have one, which means the hitters don't see it very often.  In 05 when Velva went deep into the regional tournament in Minnesota the biggest single difference between Velva and everybody else, is that all their pitchers had change ups, which ranged any where from pretty good to real good.   Nothing takes the aggressiveness out of a hitter faster than getting him out on that front foot, lunging for a pitch that if he hits it, is gonna be a weak roller to third.
Bison Rule

Next

Return to Class B