Stats on NDHSAA website

Should there be stats input on NDHSAA website?

Yes why not
85%
Not a bad idea, but it is too late now
5%
No dont bother
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby power-aid14 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:50 am

I was looking at the site and i noticed there were a lot of things done to make stats available for basketball. I thought it was pretty convenient and interesting to look at. I was wondering if any members of site could consider making it possible to enter in your baseball stats. It would be nice to see how everybody else is doing also so yeah i just thought if they could add that dimension it would be nice. It shouldnt be hard as there are way more basketball teams in the state than there are baseball.
Last edited by power-aid14 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball11 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:56 am

The only problem is in baseball stats can be skewed.  Some of the teams have nonstarters do the books and give players hits when they should be errors.  Maybe not a big problem, but could make the stats unreliable.
baseball11

Postby power-aid14 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:00 am

baseball11 wrote:The only problem is in baseball stats can be skewed.  Some of the teams have nonstarters do the books and give players hits when they should be errors.  Maybe not a big problem, but could make the stats unreliable.

yes you are very correct but the same thing can happen in basektball with rebounds...i know a lot of stat girls dont consider a tip a rebound. you are right but i still think its a good idea
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball11 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:33 am

power-aid14 wrote:
baseball11 wrote:The only problem is in baseball stats can be skewed.  Some of the teams have nonstarters do the books and give players hits when they should be errors.  Maybe not a big problem, but could make the stats unreliable.

yes you are very correct but the same thing can happen in basektball with rebounds...i know a lot of stat girls dont consider a tip a rebound. you are right but i still think its a good idea

You're right, every sport stat can get exaggerated somehow.  I agree, it'd be nice to be able to look at a website and compare players stats.  It might even make people think twice around here before they talk up some players if their stats dont back it up ;).
baseball11

Postby mike thingstad » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:46 pm

As a coach I say no, I have enough to do. I don't need to sit at the computer for 1/2 to 1 hr putting stats three times a week. They are trying to have us do it in wrestling also and the program is slower then a snail, so I'm fighting it there also. And stats are different from team to team, I've seen teams that we have beaten in past years over and over and some how their kids have better ave then we do at the end of the year. Just another thing to argue about. Just my thought.
mike thingstad
NDPreps Starter

Postby power-aid14 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:09 pm

mike thingstad wrote:As a coach I say no, I have enough to do. I don't need to sit at the computer for 1/2 to 1 hr putting stats three times a week. They are trying to have us do it in wrestling also and the program is slower then a snail, so I'm fighting it there also. And stats are different from team to team, I've seen teams that we have beaten in past years over and over and some how their kids have better ave then we do at the end of the year. Just another thing to argue about. Just my thought.

its something stats keepers for their teams can do. that is just a little something extracurricular that they can go do.

and also coach....you would not have to put yours on there....a lot of teams in basketball decided not to. its your choice but it would be kind of fun...dont be a party pooper
Last edited by power-aid14 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:22 pm

i know that when i took a computers class in high school part of it was putting the stats on teh school's website so why not have another kid in teh class put them on NDHSAA.  no one said the coach has to do it
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby power-aid14 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:35 pm

baseball wrote:i know that when i took a computers class in high school part of it was putting the stats on teh school's website so why not have another kid in teh class put them on NDHSAA.  no one said the coach has to do it

thank you baseball, sports iq to you!
[line]
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby uconn_8 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:49 pm

Baseball stats are pretty controversial in high school. There's no "official scorer." The bookkeeping job is most of the time given to one of the freshman on the team that doesn't know a thing about hits, errors, sacs...etc.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby knights4 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:33 pm

our stats are tought how to do it, and i'm sure the coach doesnt just toss the book a a freshman and not show him how to do it, i agree i think it would be just as accurate basketball, they can sometimes mess up assists, turnovers, and rebounds like u said, i think it would be a great to have stats on the site
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby experiencingtechnicaldiff » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:28 pm

I will have to say no, they shouldn't be. I have seen people on here saying someone on their team had a 600+ batting average, or an era below one, and yet people haven't heard of them. I have seen a few different stat people taking stats for the same team and they all do it differently. Although other sports may not be accurate either, baseball has stats that you can sway heavily. Without putting stats on NDHSAA, people will be noticed when they go to plate.When coaches vote on awards, they will pick good players, and not look at NDHSAA and give awards to people who really didn't do nearly as good it shows. Would you rather have someone praised for having a batting average around 500 with 40 rbi's when really they batted about 300, and had 20 true rbi's.. and they would get recognized more then someone with a true stat keeper who is batting 350 with 30 rbi's... This is just my opinion. I don't like the idea at all. And really, stats don't matter at all. Its how you play that matters. Stats don't make you play better, playing better makes your stats better. I think they should have scores posted, WP and LP, and maybe home runs, since the only way those could be controversial would be in the park home runs... They could also show in region rankings.. that would work too..
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." -Red Auerbach
experiencingtechnicaldiff
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:21 am

i think that anything is better than nothing.

i really respect the coaches that enter in all that information. i know it takes a while, and many of the guys/gals doing it (regardless of the sport) might not be completely computer-savy and that makes it take longer, but it is useful to everyone from sports geeks that like to compare stats, to friends and family that want to see how little jimmy is doing, to media looking for a story.

also, when it gets closer to state tournament time and stuff i think it would help the media because they have a little bit of info going into interviews. you can get more in-depth i think with different players, 'so how about billy batter, really hitting the ball well the second half of the season.'

every bit of information is helpful, and for the most part i think coaches would rather their stats be truthful. the coaches i know take quite a bit of pride in having good players that have been taught how to do everything the right way instead of just being given something.
rep

Postby power-aid14 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:20 pm

alright any webmasters willing to set up a site or even anyone with some power able to send this idea into the committee of ndhsaa?
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Class B