Teams

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

What teams that are not in the top 10 in the latest poll have a chance at sneaking into the top 10 in the next poll? A few teams I will say are Lakota and Central Cass.
baseball1981

Postby junior11 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:56 pm

thank you.. Central Cass finally gets mentioned..
junior11
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:57 pm

junior11 wrote:thank you.. Central Cass finally gets mentioned..
Can I get some sports iq for it? :D
baseball1981

Postby baseball11 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Winning will usually get you mentioned.  Such as Steele, Thompson, Lamoure....
baseball11

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:13 pm

baseball11 wrote:

Who has won a game so far this year?
baseball1981

Postby baseball11 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:23 pm

baseball1981 wrote:
baseball11 wrote:

Who has won a game so far this year?

Going by that lets just have a 32-way tie for 1st......

Those teams went to state last year and got the most exposure.  It's hard for teams, like Central Cass, to get attention when they dont make it out of the regional tourney.  Beat Thompson and you can bet there will be a thread or two dedicated solely for CC.

Anyone remember last season when Steele started winning and even swept #2 seed Langdon?  That's how lesser known, but still talented, teams get attention.
baseball11

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:35 pm

But Harvey didn't make state last year and thats like all some people talk about on here...I don't get it...whats the difference.
baseball1981

Postby baseball11 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:42 pm

[font=trebuchet ms]8 teams go to state in high school right?  Well 7 of those teams are in the polls this year.  I just can't think of the 8th team...[/font]
baseball11

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:44 pm

From last year...Rollette
baseball1981

Postby baseball11 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks, forgot about them.
baseball11

Postby experiencingtechnicaldiff » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:23 pm

I have a few things to say about polls. First off, polls don't matter at all, ESPECIALLY pre-season polls. No one knows how good anyone is going to be. In the case of this year, what I have just stated is even more true, because of switching from metal to wood bats. I doubt anyone knows how teams are going to adjust to this change.

Secondly, I feel polls help teams that are not on the polls. Teams that aren't on the polls are going to be taken lightly, and might pull off some upsets. (upsets in the public eye).

Third, polls push unranked teams to be better. It makes them that much more competitive. Baseball is a sport that IMO no one can be best. Great teams can have an off day, and poor teams can have a great day. (Example- Thompson getting shutout at state last year, not saying they lost to a poor team, but I think they were favored in that game).

forth, polls change throughout the year. Teams on the poll, who play a few bad games, and then go off the poll, may start to lose confidence. Good coaches can change that though. They can get their team to work harder to stay on that poll.

I think the poll will be completely different after you get a little ways into the season. I think the preseason poll did look alot at last year, and not see what teams actually lost from last year. I also think there are more than just 10 superior teams in the state. I think the top 3-4 teams from each region should have their name in the top 10, but that can't happen, becuase that would be more than 10 obviously. There is going to be alot of great baseball played this year, and it will be fun watching the polls change constantly.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." -Red Auerbach
experiencingtechnicaldiff
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:05 pm

Agreed, do they even have polls after this one?
baseball1981

Postby tadam6 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:09 pm

if you haven't noticed in the past...ppl from harvey tend to talk their team up
tadam6

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:13 pm

tadam6 wrote:if you haven't noticed in the past...ppl from harvey tend to talk their team up
Oh, their really not that bad, they do talk them up though, I know their really looking to have a good team this year...but do they have polls after the preseason poll, I've never seen a poll after the first one..
baseball1981

Postby catchit9 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:30 pm

ya CC didnt make it out of regionals because they lost to steele/dawson 1-0 in the first round
catchit9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball1981 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:37 pm

catchit9 wrote:ya CC didnt make it out of regionals because they lost to steele/dawson 1-0 in the first round
That is crazy...That means that they can compete i think....
baseball1981

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:43 pm

catchit9 wrote:ya CC didnt make it out of regionals because they lost to steele/dawson 1-0 in the first round

are u crazy?????  Steele's region had Shiloh, Washburn, Medina, and Standing Rock.  so how could Central Cass lose to them in the 1st round if they arent even in the same region???  another thing that makes that statement even more stupid is that STeele played Central Cass in state in 2004...tough for 2 teams from the same region to get to state isnt it?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby catchit9 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:48 pm

well maybe im wrong then... thats just what i was told... my bad
catchit9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby catchit9 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:55 pm

i meant the enderlin tourney... thats when they played steele
catchit9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:59 pm

[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:

are u crazy?????  Steele's region had Shiloh, Washburn, Medina, and Standing Rock.  so how could Central Cass lose to them in the 1st round if they arent even in the same region???  another thing that makes that statement even more stupid is that STeele played Central Cass in state in 2004...tough for 2 teams from the same region to get to state isnt it?

Steele was state runner ups that year weren't they?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:02 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:

are u crazy?????? Steele's region had Shiloh, Washburn, Medina, and Standing Rock.? so how could Central Cass lose to them in the 1st round if they arent even in the same region???? another thing that makes that statement even more stupid is that STeele played Central Cass in state in 2004...tough for 2 teams from the same region to get to state isnt it?

Steele was state runner ups that year weren't they?

yea, beat CC, Thompson and lost to Cavalier
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby fruit snack » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:21 am

i think harvey will be a dangerous team this year
fruit snack

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:39 am

fruit snack wrote:i think harvey will be a dangerous team this year
:D The question is why though, everyone always says a team will be good but dosen't support their saying with opinions...so why do you think Harvey, a team that hasn't made state in 9 years, will go this year...?
baseball1981

Postby power-aid14 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:59 pm

baseball1981 wrote:
:D The question is why though, everyone always says a team will be good but dosen't support their saying with opinions...so why do you think Harvey, a team that hasn't made state in 9 years, will go this year...?

why this year... determined seniors, something like 14 of them, and arguably the best pitcher in the state, lorenz, and i heard their 2 pitcher is pretty good too and if the coach can spread their innings out right they can get there
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball1981 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:05 pm

power-aid14 wrote:
baseball1981 wrote:

why this year... determined seniors, something like 14 of them, and arguably the best pitcher in the state, lorenz, and i heard their 2 pitcher is pretty good too and if the coach can spread their innings out right they can get there
That is true, I doubt many people will hit Harvey's pitchers too good, but will they be able to hit other teams pitchers..
baseball1981

Next

Return to Class B