Umpires behind the plate

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:24 am

Who does everybody think are the best umpires behind the plate?
thunderbaseball_38

Postby bison_18 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:35 am

Perry Olsen out of minot is one of the better ones in that area.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:59 am

I liked B.J. Knoll from what I have seen. Not sure where he is from though. He is very consistant and he allows a little bit on the corners which is nice for a pitcher who throws a backdoor curve on the outside and a tailing fastball on the inside.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Nold is I believe originally from Jamestown or at least went to college there and now lives in GF.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:43 pm

Tom Perious from Langdon, and Craig Champain from GF.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby pro341 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:21 am

bison_18 wrote:Perry Olsen out of minot is one of the better ones in that area.

I have to disagree. I watched a game he umped in Surrey last year and he had a strike-zone that varied every inning. I also watched a game in Velva in the District tournament 2 years ago and he and his (female) partner were AWEFULL! In fact the coach of the losing team was quoted as saying that they didn't want to be the ump crew that was umping if Velva lost at home.
pro341
NDPreps Reserve

Postby beachy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:35 am

Mark Wisnewski from lidgerwood is good.... also Arly Ohm from breckenridge is a great ump...
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby gophers18 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:45 am

[user=913]beachy[/user] wrote:
Mark Wisnewski from lidgerwood is good.... also Arly Ohm from breckenridge is a great ump...
Two awesome guys as well as Wayne Gripentrog from Wahp. Also Pat Adair is great from Lisbon. Those four should be doing some state tourneys.
gophers18

Postby Spoiler92 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:24 pm

Tom Perious from Langdon and Kevin Fredrickson from Grafton
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing!
Spoiler92
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 pm

dave dusek forever! "that's part of the game coach."
PA42

Postby Honus355 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:52 pm

I think that Perry Olson is one of the best young umps...but few can deny Mark Luther (also from Minot). He's one of the most consistent umps in the state, and he's fun to be around. He is really an energetic ump which is nice to see.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Spoiler92 wrote:Tom Perious from Langdon and Kevin Fredrickson from Grafton

Yes I forgot about Fredrickson. He does a great job. Very consistent.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:26 am

horne98 wrote:dave dusek forever! "that's part of the game coach."

Haha! Are you serious? I haven't heard that line for a while... Oh wait, yes I have becuase everyone makes fun of him for saying that with his high pitch voice. But on a serious note, no...... He has a small inconsistent strike zone and he doesn't call curveballs that break into the zone, or that cross the zone and break out after it goes over the plate. I would say he makes games interesting when he umps, but he is not the best behind the plate. The funny statements coming from him can be said umping the bases.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:11 am

Ray Maloney... haha
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby beachy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:41 am

gophers18 wrote:[user=913]beachy[/user] wrote:

Two awesome guys as well as Wayne Gripentrog from Wahp. Also Pat Adair is great from Lisbon. Those four should be doing some state tourneys.

Pat Adair is not a good ump.... When he does the Enderlin games the calls always go for enderlin b/c he coaches there...
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan_05 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:09 pm

baller01 wrote:Ray Maloney... haha
ROFL!!!!!!!!
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Akadema » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:47 pm

beachy wrote:

Pat Adair is not a good ump.... When he does the Enderlin games the calls always go for enderlin b/c he coaches there...

pat adair not a good ump? that is only why he is doing state tournaments and now starting to work at the college level. he is way better than some of the guys you get in hankinson or great bend (friskop)
Akadema
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:16 pm

Akadema wrote:
beachy wrote:

pat adair not a good ump? that is only why he is doing state tournaments and now starting to work at the college level. he is way better than some of the guys you get in hankinson or great bend (friskop)

I dont believe I have seen Pat ump so will not make judgement towads him, however, just because you are doing state tournaments and working at the college level doesnt make you a good ump. It just means you are better then the rest of the awful ones. Listing the college level is commical because there are alot of bad college level umps behind the dish in the area (example- Mike Larson). So just saying they are good because they work college means nothing.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Akadema » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:27 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
Akadema wrote:
beachy wrote:

I dont believe I have seen Pat ump so will not make judgement towads him, however, just because you are doing state tournaments and working at the college level doesnt make you a good ump. It just means you are better then the rest of the awful ones. Listing the college level is commical because there are alot of bad college level umps behind the dish in the area (example- Mike Larson). So just saying they are good because they work college means nothing.

you make a good point on the college thing, i also know quite a few umps in college that aren't all that good, but i just wanted to make clear that i have played in a lot of games with pat adair as an ump and i have never had a bad experience with him. he has always been fair and his strike zone is always consistent. there are alot of bad umps out there but adair isn't one of them. i have alot of respect for him
Akadema
NDPreps Reserve

Postby beachy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 am

Akadema wrote:
beachy wrote:

Well i am from Fairmount and we never have Friskop there... he only does the  hank games usually... i will agree hye is a horrible ump though
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby beachy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 am

Akadema wrote:
beachy wrote:

Well i am from Fairmount and we never have Friskop there... he only does the  hank games usually... i will agree hye is a horrible ump though
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:10 am

i think we should probably quit ripping on certain umps...try to keep it positive
rep

Postby bisonman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Trev Zerr is pretty consistent.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby cash » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:41 pm

bisonman wrote:Trev Zerr is pretty consistent.
good guy too
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mauer07 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:56 pm

Terry Quintus from Dickinson is pretty good and a good guy too
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Class B