2007 legion section predictions

Postby coachk » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:27 am

Just trying to get an idea of the teams in each section will end up by tourney time. Let's not talk about individual players. Maybe good coaching and the team as a whole.
coachk

Postby knights4 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:06 am

Park River, we played Landon tough all year last year, just fell short in the region championship game, but their pitching was stacked, and built for the tourny
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:49 pm

knights4 wrote:Park River, we played Landon tough all year last year, just fell short in the region championship game, but their pitching was stacked, and built for the tourny

How many players does Park River lose from last year, and is Svobodny back? If he is that makes PR a major player. His tournament last year was rediculious. He must have hit .750 for the tournament with about 3 HR's and 5+ doubles in 4 games in Grafton even where it is 385 to the gap. He put on quite a display.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby gophers18 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:55 am

I am new to this but in section 1 I think it will be Kindred and Galchutt going for the top spot with the nod going to Galchutt. They will be pretty good with pitching and defense and a not to bad with the bats. I played under their coach on our section all-star game and he is pretty smart and a very good players coach. He always gets Galchutt ready for tournaments and they do well in them. As for section 2 I see Lamoure as the favorite.
gophers18

Postby PA42 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:10 am

they return two really good pitchers in duttenheffer and steldest. duttenheffer really shut down lamoure to give galchutt a chance to come back. they will have a nice team.
PA42

Postby triple » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:00 am

Does anybody know when the offical date of the section tournaments will be this year?? and where to find them at?
triple

Postby berry186 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:18 am

horne98 wrote:they return two really good pitchers in duttenheffer and steldest. duttenheffer really shut down lamoure to give galchutt a chance to come back. they will have a nice team.

is duttenheffer the tall lefty
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby knights4 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:21 am

We will lose a lot of good players like Torre Tagastad, Ben Olson, Jerry Jonasson, Seth Mathison, but Tommy is back and Joel Thomson, and i've heard rumors that Curt Enger, and Narloch are gunna play with us this year. There were about three of us that hit over 700. in the tounament, i don't think anyone had less than 3 hits when we played Munich. When we played Langdon in the second round we lost 3-2, they just had more pitching when it got to the championship, but they're gone so i think we have a pretty good chance.  
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby coachk » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:36 am

I know he's a lefty but maybe 6'0 atthe highest. Galchutt has a 6'1 lefty for 1b also but alot more solid built. Selstedt is about 6'4 and thin throws right. As far as when sections tourney's are that is decided at the legion winter conference usually held in the beginning of Feb. so mid February the section dates should be known and where the state tourney is. http://www.ndlegion.org is where you can go. click on the legion emblem then go to the legion baseball site. I too see Galchutt and maybe Kindred battling it out for the section but who knows???? depends on who comes out for all the teams. I guess maybe it could be considered anybody's. Section 1 may be a litle weak. Alot of talent won't be back for most of the teams due to age.
coachk

Postby tadam6 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:45 pm

we saw duttenheffer first round of state and lit him up...off game or is he better then what he showed...
tadam6

Postby gophers18 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Yeah i was at the state tourney and saw him pitch.  Believe me he pitched terrible that game.  He pitched against one of the best AA pitchers from SD and Galchutt won that game 11-0. Lennox won the state tourney. Duttenhefer was tough. They had a tough week before in sectional with the heat.  I think he threw alot and maybe it caught up to him. He is only a JR.
gophers18

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:57 pm

The one thing with the state legion tournament is how healthy the pitchers are when you get there. The real TEAMS that have depth on the mound usually come out on top. The teams that had to ride a pitcher or two in order to get to state usually dont get very far because their top guys have tired arms and that is not going to get you past a good hitting team at state. Unless they throw 90+ healthy and 86-87 tired and can still locate then they can still be successful. But this isnt Texas and California where 90+ guys grow on trees.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:33 am

Thompson should be good again with players coming back to play legion. They will be alot better then in the high school year. You can't overlook Central Valley- Hillsboro and Hatton though. Both of those teams will have solid teams, and they know how to play baseball. Casselton could also be another tough team in the section. The Fargo Bombers have always proven to be tough. Every year they bring in a great team. It should be pretty close when the section tournament comes around.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:01 am

Who are the top returning players in the east?
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby region1 football » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:34 am

im guesing lamoure is goona be a top team again.  I dont think they lost to much Berry for sure but im not sure about any of the others.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:05 am

thunderbaseball_38 wrote:Thompson should be good again with players coming back to play legion. They will be alot better then in the high school year. You can't overlook Central Valley- Hillsboro and Hatton though. Both of those teams will have solid teams, and they know how to play baseball. Casselton could also be another tough team in the section. The Fargo Bombers have always proven to be tough. Every year they bring in a great team. It should be pretty close when the section tournament comes around.
i think thompson is the team to beat they lose one or possibly two players. and neither of them are key losses. i don't see cv/hillsboro making it to state. hatton is the only team that could knock off thompson. Casselton is one of those teams, who'll beat you when you're bad and stay with when you are good. Fargo BOmbers will not make it to state, the won't for a while. For one reason they play nearly sixty games. baseball is their lives and by the end of the season they are beatable. Gardner and mayville is a case of two team not knowing what they have. Both programs are unsure about which players are coming back to play their last year. If king, bush, and polowski are back for gardner the could be tough. Alex Berry may or may not play this season. For mayville pitching is the question. An interesting league from top to bottom.
PA42

Postby Number7 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:42 am

Does anyone know if galchutt is returning their big bats like robertsdahl, erbes, beto, and johnson? if not duttenhefer and selstedt are good pitchers but nothing amazing. I dont even think kindred will be one of the top four teams in the section. Watch out for West Fargo cause a considerable number of last years legion A players are coming back and since most of our 16-year-old Aces team was 15 according to Legion rules most of them could play Aces again and I think we have a great shot at going to state. My thoughts on the rest of Section1:

1. Enderlin- loses their best pitcher but returns some solid hitters. They should be in contention for a section championship.
  2. Fairmount- I believe they lost both of the stiles brothers and dont have much else besides them. Middle of the road in section 1.
  3. Galchutt- will be towards the top but not amazing unless those big hitters come back, then they are the team to beat.
  4. Great Bend- Annual celler-dwellers of section 1 baseball.
  5. Hankinson- I believe they lost nearly all of their starters. Should be middle of the road unless some come back but I dont expect them win the section
  6. Kindred- Tyler Johnson is all they have and he's not that great. They had a really solid hitter last year but I think he was a senior dont know if he will return. I think his first name is Eric, they should be towards the bottom jsut like last year.
  7. Lidgerwood- Lose some decent hitter will reside in the lower half of the section.
  8. Wahpeton- I have know idea what they have at this age level. Probably nothin spectacular, my guess is lower end of the conference.
  9. West Fargo- If we return a decent amount of guys from last year, we will contend for the championship but if not I would still expect a top 4 seed in the section tourney.
[/*]

"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby gophers18 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:28 am

Fairmount i believe has one of the stiles players back.  They lost some big guns and
will be weak in spots unless they pick up players from somewhere.  Never know though how they will do.  Kindred should have everyone back from last year and they really improved by tourney time last year. I still see them as a threat. Galchutt loses erbes, robertsdahl, griffith and breuer.  They have everyone else back.  They should be very sound defensively and their hitting should still be a threat. Enderlin lost some big players in Midthun and Fraase and I think a couple of others.  They are always a tough team to beat so they too will be a threat.  West Fargo I don't know much about but too should do well.   Wyndmere, Lidgerwood, Great Bend, Wahpeton will struggle .  Hankinson also lost alot of players so will be towards the botom unless their younger players step up.
gophers18

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:01 am

horne98 wrote:
thunderbaseball_38 wrote:Thompson should be good again with players coming back to play legion. They will be alot better then in the high school year. You can't overlook Central Valley- Hillsboro and Hatton though. Both of those teams will have solid teams, and they know how to play baseball. Casselton could also be another tough team in the section. The Fargo Bombers have always proven to be tough. Every year they bring in a great team. It should be pretty close when the section tournament comes around.
i think thompson is the team to beat they lose one or possibly two players. and neither of them are key losses. i don't see cv/hillsboro making it to state. hatton is the only team that could knock off thompson. Casselton is one of those teams, who'll beat you when you're bad and stay with when you are good. Fargo BOmbers will not make it to state, the won't for a while. For one reason they play nearly sixty games. baseball is their lives and by the end of the season they are beatable. Gardner and mayville is a case of two team not knowing what they have. Both programs are unsure about which players are coming back to play their last year. If king, bush, and polowski are back for gardner the could be tough. Alex Berry may or may not play this season. For mayville pitching is the question. An interesting league from top to bottom.

Gardner did not fair too well last year in legion. Even if they returned all of their players, they would still not be very good. The only way they will be able to even compete with average teams is if they have a large crew of young guys coming up to play for them; young guys with alot of talent.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:26 am

that is my bad. hope page will be in the top two or three. the only weakness is pitching. There is no question they will be tough in a two years. I know people talk about young talent and say they won't improve. but these are hard working good kids. trust me they will be tough.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:38 pm

horne98 wrote:that is my bad. hope page will be in the top two or three. the only weakness is pitching. There is no question they will be tough in a two years. I know people talk about young talent and say they won't improve. but these are hard working good kids. trust me they will be tough.

Outside of Hope-Page's state champion babe ruth team from last year, Who else do they got that will make them any better this year? That babe ruth team was good, in Babe Ruth.. But for them to make them that much better? I am going to have to disagree with you. Pitching is a very important part of the game. If you lack that, you are going to need one of the best hitting teams in the state to beat other teams. They will more than likely be better this year, but top 2 or 3, thats a little far-fetched. You can stick Thompson at number 1, I'll take that. They are going to be good. But then you are going to stick Hope-Page in with Hatton, Central Valley-Hillsboro, and the Bombers? Their going to need alot more than a Babe Ruth team to compete with those teams. I'd put Hope-Page in the bottom half of the section. If they prove me wrong, I won't make excuses, I will be the first to admit I was wrong, but I just can't see them being any better than average, and I really can't see them being any better than Hatton, CV-H or Fargo..
thunderbaseball_38

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:53 pm

thunderbaseball_38 wrote:
horne98 wrote:that is my bad. hope page will be in the top two or three. the only weakness is pitching. There is no question they will be tough in a two years. I know people talk about young talent and say they won't improve. but these are hard working good kids. trust me they will be tough.

Outside of Hope-Page's state champion babe ruth team from last year, Who else do they got that will make them any better this year? That babe ruth team was good, in Babe Ruth.. But for them to make them that much better? I am going to have to disagree with you. Pitching is a very important part of the game. If you lack that, you are going to need one of the best hitting teams in the state to beat other teams. They will more than likely be better this year, but top 2 or 3, thats a little far-fetched. You can stick Thompson at number 1, I'll take that. They are going to be good. But then you are going to stick Hope-Page in with Hatton, Central Valley-Hillsboro, and the Bombers? Their going to need alot more than a Babe Ruth team to compete with those teams. I'd put Hope-Page in the bottom half of the section. If they prove me wrong, I won't make excuses, I will be the first to admit I was wrong, but I just can't see them being any better than average, and I really can't see them being any better than Hatton, CV-H or Fargo..

Besides that with the rules for Babe Ruth to be able to pick up players from other teams in your district the most tallented players on the team may be from somewhere else and not Hope-Page. When Hatton won the babe ruth title back in the 90's yeah they had Pladson and Cranston but they also had Burchill from Hope-Page (maybe Klubben also, not sure though). That makes a big difference in one tournament!
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tigger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:27 am

If Thompson gets back the players that they should, they will not only be the best team in their section but in the whole state, and it probably won't even be close.  I believe they were going to lose Scott Schumacher, Caleb Schumacher, and possibly Nick Dunham and return several who were going to be playing college ball.  That said, there will be a lot of good teams in that section which will probably be the toughest in the state.  The Bombers were probably a top three team in the state last year, but they will lose a bunch a guys to Post 2.  I'm unsure of what they'll be getting back but they have the biggest pool of players to draw from.  Hillsboro-CV and Hatton will be good clubs.  H-CV has a Babe Ruth title from a few years ago are still waiting to cash in on that talent on the Legion level.  Hatton has a good core of young players and a very good coach (Chad Omdahl).  MayPort and Gardner both were okay teams last year with a couple of studs.  MayPort lost both Dave Fyre and Rakowski, but I think Gardner might retain their best guys.  I see MayPort, Gardner, Cassleton, and Larimore (if they field a team) being the only teams that probably don't have the firepower to crack the top four in the section.  I like Hope-Finley as a darkhorse team in this section for a few reasons.  Their Babe Ruth won the 2006 title and placed 2nd in 2005.  They get back Derek Neset to help the pitching staff.  Mark Frost is probably the best Legion coach in the area (Omdahl would be in the discussion) and has the flags to prove it.  I'm not saying that they can win the section this year, but Coach Frost might want to price out some flagpoles for the coming years.  If Thompson take the tournaments seriously this year (I belive that their arrogance has cost them some titles), they should be the favorite, but there are 4 or 5 teams that could make a serious run at the section/state title.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tigger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:34 am

InTheKnow wrote:
thunderbaseball_38 wrote:

Besides that with the rules for Babe Ruth to be able to pick up players from other teams in your district the most tallented players on the team may be from somewhere else and not Hope-Page. When Hatton won the babe ruth title back in the 90's yeah they had Pladson and Cranston but they also had Burchill from Hope-Page (maybe Klubben also, not sure though). That makes a big difference in one tournament!
Hope's Babe Ruth team was pretty legit last year.  They did pick up one or two guys from Hatton I believe, but I think they would have had enough talent to win it all without help.  I talked to their coach last year and saw them play; they had talent on the bench that couldn't break into the lineup.  Their best Babe Ruthers from last year already have a year of Legion experience coming into this season.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:07 am

Derek Neset and Scott Workin may be coming be back. Josh Derby is a heck of a player, ryan mehus isn't bad, and dillon ostrom is a decent outfielder as well as vince kubisticha and if ihry plays legion this team will be tough.
PA42

Next

Return to Class B